Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazing Film/TV GUI's?

Options
  • 07-11-2013 3:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi, I'm talking about the likes of MI6's makeshift HQ in Skyfall, all those scrolling screens and data constantly flowing - how designs them or what they use in NCIS Los Angeles? I would love to design some sort of program with similar looking GUI's but I can't really find much online for inspiration.

Has anyone any links to amazing looking GUI's please?

LIKE: http://www.pushing-pixels.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/skyfall-map.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

nameisme wrote: »
    Hi, I'm talking about the likes of MI6's makeshift HQ in Skyfall, all those scrolling screens and data constantly flowing - how designs them or what they use in NCIS Los Angeles? I would love to design some sort of program with similar looking GUI's but I can't really find much online for inspiration.

Has anyone any links to amazing looking GUI's please?

LIKE: http://www.pushing-pixels.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/skyfall-map.jpg

They may look neat but I'd say from a UI/UX point of view they're bloody awful. I'd be fired if I produced something like that.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

cormee wrote: »
    They may look neat but I'd say from a UI/UX point of view they're bloody awful. I'd be fired if I produced something like that.

A UI like that would be perfect for managing one of those enormous SuperComputers with millions of flashing lights and spinning tape reels. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9 nameisme

Yeah you're both right, but have you any idea regarding my question please?

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭chakotha

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

They can be amazingly beautiful, and totally unusable.

Check out Mark Coleran, he designed (or produced) a tonne of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Outer glow on all the things!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

chakotha wrote: »

Coming up with a design like that is like doing the Times crossword with any letters you like.

If he/she had come up with a design like that after reading use case(s) it would be impressive (even though learnability and accessibility don't seem to have been a priority.) But I think in this case it's more of a showcase for the designers Illustrator/Photoshop skills, than it is an exercise in UI design.

OP - Google the KISS principle.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Given that the OP is considering how the UI is going to look before there's even an idea for a concept product I don't think the KISS principle is going to help. :pac:

Advertisement