Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ultra zionists

Options
  • 05-02-2011 3:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭

Bit long at 58 mins but worth a look. Religious extremism on the Jewish side of the divide and an Israeli view of the conflict.
    I've spent time in Israel but never bumped into these guys. Just the normal Israelis but even then discussing religion is a touchy subject.

Louis Theroux has done a few various docs on religious groups, all worth a look.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

A friend was telling me about this. Thanks for posting Must check it out when I get the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I see the conflict as twofold, a bit like the Troubles.
    Palestinians vs Israelis and Muslims vs Jews.

The Israelis consider the land their god-given right and the Palestinians have been living there a long time before they were forced off the land.

The more extreme Muslim and Jews just don't mix. At best they will tolerate one another as Abrahamic religions but either would wipe the other out given half the chance.

Of course there are the more liberal Muslims and Jews in the political and religious centre but "all" you need is a few killed babies or bus bombs to convert them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

There are only so many chances you get to conduct an interview with a man while he is literally beating out fires threatening to destroy the neighbourhood.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭rich1874

This is a good watch, he meets some interesting characters along the way. Towards the end you'll see a fat guy sitting in a chair swinging grief at people, top quality extremist banter.

And in the midst of the argument Louis Theroux asked an absolute golden question that pretty much summed up the whole situation in Palestine in that typical easy going style that Louis exudes, "is it possible that he's right about the chairs and the tables?". The guys reaction is priceless. I laughed loudly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Nice one OP, think this was on TV the other night but I didn't catch it! Perfect Sunday afternoon viewing. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Carl Sagan

Thanks for posting this. Perfect way to procrastinate and not do my two reports. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

One of the things I found saddest was the Israeli kids in the middle of it. We've all seen the Arab kids chucking rocks etc. so maybe I'm just a little desensitised to it but to see those Jewish kids growing up in that environment because their parents want to make a point to affirm their "faith" is depressing. I'm sure they'll grow up without any dislike of Arabs...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

amacachi wrote: »
    One of the things I found saddest was the Israeli kids in the middle of it. We've all seen the Arab kids chucking rocks etc. so maybe I'm just a little desensitised to it but to see those Jewish kids growing up in that environment because their parents want to make a point to affirm their "faith" is depressing. I'm sure they'll grow up without any dislike of Arabs...

Settlements are often operated like closed communities, in that there's a residents committee who decides who gets in. Theres conservative, orthodox etc, and they only take in like minds. They have their own schools, papers etc. As a result there's a lack of outside influence, despite the theoretical access to the various media of the modern world. Apart from the obvious mindset against Arabs, this also leads to the demonisation of 'liberal' voices within Israel. All of this with the aid, protection and complicity of the Israeli state.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭GO_Bear

Great post OP.

Talk about making mountains out of mole hills

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

GO_Bear wrote: »
    Great post OP.

Talk about making mounts out of mole hills

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭GO_Bear

krudler wrote: »
    :pac:

:trollface:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

ur-Jewish-Merry-Christmas.jpg?imageSize=Medium&generatorName=Troll-Face

Advertisement