Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon Airport Thread [Mod Warning in First Post]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

Flight diverted to Shannon Airport after woman goes into labour (Journal)

A Delta Airlines flight from Amsterdam to Atlanta was forced to make an unscheduled stop at Shannon Airport today after a woman went into labour.

The woman has been taken to the University Maternity Hospital in Limerick.

Really hope everything goes well and someone nicely suggested if its a girl then she will have to be called Shannon! ;)

According to the Clare Champion, business is booming at Doonbeg! :)

Since the Trump Organisation purchased the resort in February the North American market has increased significantly.

Business is also coming from Europe due to the extra flights at Shannon.

Additionally, there are also wedding bookings from Canada / USA which is good news for Shannon too.

Currently the golf club and lodge employs 230 full and part-time people.

Doonbeggolfcourse_large.jpg

UL graduates spread their wings in world of aeronautical engineering (Irish Times) :cool:

University of Limerick is producing aerospace graduates for the industry worldwide, but job prospects in Ireland remain limited.

Since it was first established in 1992, almost 400 graduates have completed UL’s degree course.

According to Dr Conor McCarthy, senior lecturer in aircraft structures at UL and assistant dean of research for faculty of science and engineering, almost two-thirds (63 per cent) of these are living and working in Ireland.

Belfast-based aircraft manufacturer Bombardier is a big employer of UL graduates, Ryanair also takes on a lot of structural engineers, and the Irish Aviation Authority, while Shannon Aerospace also employs graduates.

Hopefully if Transaero's plans come to fruition they will boost the number of aeronautical engineers living in Ireland too.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,106 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

UL graduates spread their wings in world of aeronautical engineering (Irish Times) :cool:

University of Limerick is producing aerospace graduates for the industry worldwide, but job prospects in Ireland remain limited.

Since it was first established in 1992, almost 400 graduates have completed UL’s degree course.

According to Dr Conor McCarthy, senior lecturer in aircraft structures at UL and assistant dean of research for faculty of science and engineering, almost two-thirds (63 per cent) of these are living and working in Ireland.

Belfast-based aircraft manufacturer Bombardier is a big employer of UL graduates, Ryanair also takes on a lot of structural engineers, and the Irish Aviation Authority, while Shannon Aerospace also employs graduates.

Hopefully if Transaero's plans come to fruition they will boost the number of aeronautical engineers living in Ireland too.

Wow a lot of news stories being posted

• Registered Users Posts: 10,667 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Aer Lingus cancel Manchester and pull 1 aircraft out of SNN.

• Advertisement

Jamie2k9 wrote: »

According to who?

On good news for Shannon, a new enhanced bus service has been launched. Badly needed enhanced bus service may I add

http://clareherald.com/2014/08/27/transport-minister-launches-bus-services-at-shannon/

http://www.clarechampion.ie/transport-minister-visits-airport/

Carnacalla wrote: »
    According to who?

They have taken the winter schedule off sale and all other routes are fitted into one aircraft.

They have taken the winter schedule off sale and all other routes are fitted into one aircraft.

Oh great.

I cannot see how them eejits now running shannon didnt see this coming.

Oh great.

I cannot see how them eejits now running shannon didnt see this coming.

Even worse is as it was so easy for FR to get them off MAN, will they do BHX or even EMA and completely driver them out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭lockman

Terrible news.

Aer Lingus are just being consequent.

They would need to change their timetable now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

All MAN flights were already down to be operated by a single a/c so no rejigging needed for other flights

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Growler!!!

Shame really, it was on the cards though.

Real shame are the job losses. Pilots to be reassigned to other bases and cabin crew will not have their contract renewed.

Was the runway at Shannon closed for a time this morning? I noticed the flight from Tenerife looping a few times before landing, the delta flight also over ran the airport.

The BA flight landed before the delta flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭sonyair

It was weather related they were holding for the rain to pass over

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Growler!!!

Was the runway at Shannon closed for a time this morning? I noticed the flight from Tenerife looping a few times before landing, the delta flight also over ran the airport.

The BA flight landed before the delta flight.

Lots of convective activity and cb's passing through the approach for rwy24. Was holding for about 15 mins myself till it passed.

I had noticed an absence of BA3 over the summer, and it seems to be back tomorrow evening.

Any reason for a summer absence?

I had noticed an absence of BA3 over the summer, and it seems to be back tomorrow evening.

Any reason for a summer absence?
    I read somewhere that this business route is reduced in August due to vacations.

I read somewhere that this business route is reduced in August due to vacations.

That was my thought, it just seemed a little unusual.

• Advertisement

I believe it is due to aircraft maintenance also

8704938697_84bf2a254e_c.jpg

The two daily flights BA001 and BA003 from London City Airport to New York (JFK) serves London’s financial district since 2009.

Both planes are a 32-seat all-business class Airbus A318.

Due to the length of the LCY runway, the A318 is restricted in weight when taking off.

Therefore a brief technical stop to refuel is required at Shannon before it crosses the Atlantic to JFK.

Originally the passengers of both flights were able to pass through US Customs and Immigration, however the evening flight cannot avail of this service at the moment due to cut backs by the US government at Shannon.

Images by Frank Lyall and London City Airport.

6976440669_4f27592499_c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4 AerRyan

What are the chances of the old Atlanta service coming back?

AerRyan wrote: »
    What are the chances of the old Atlanta service coming back?
    I see Delta were operating a service to Atlanta as far back as 1986.

It stopped in 2007 after Delta pulled out of Shannon.

Apparently the Shannon-Atlanta route had very high loads. (HASOI)

Do you think that Delta might be interested again?

I see Delta were operating a service to Atlanta as far back as 1986.

It stopped in 2007 after Delta pulled out of Shannon.

Apparently the Shannon-Atlanta route had very high loads. (HASOI)

Do you think that Delta might be interested again?

I never realised that the old Atlanta route was so old and had high load factors. Thanks AerRyan and Brennans Row for reminding me ;)

Surely if it was such a good route there would be a consideration of it being continued?

Why did delta pull out anyway?

Why did delta pull out anyway?
    I suppose the start of the open skies in 2008 had an effect plus the unfolding of the world banking crisis which hit the aviation industry very hard.

Delta have been operating to JFK for the past 3 summers I believe

Always a chance ATL might return. Don't know if they are operating any other 757's transatlantic from there at the moment though

Delta have been operating to JFK for the past 3 summers I believe

The past two summers I think.

Always a chance ATL might return. Don't know if they are operating any other 757's transatlantic from there at the moment though[/quote]

Maybe they could operate a 767?

JFK started summer 2012 and seasonal since, so this year is it's 3rd season

http://www.shannonairport.ie/gns/about-us/latest-news/latest-news/11-11-21/Delta_to_Resume_Summer_Service_from_Shannon_to_New_York.aspx

Highly unlikely for a 767 service

• Advertisement

JFK started summer 2012 and seasonal since, so this year is it's 3rd season

http://www.shannonairport.ie/gns/about-us/latest-news/latest-news/11-11-21/Delta_to_Resume_Summer_Service_from_Shannon_to_New_York.aspx

Highly unlikely for a 767 service

My mistake sorry.

Advertisement