Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Android 4.4 (Kitkat) for Xperia Z1 starts rolling out.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,219 ✭✭✭corkie

The update to version 14.3.A.0.681 is now available on the O2 network via Sony PC Companion!

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭statto25

It's out on Vodafone too but there are lots of folks on the Sony Forum complaining of poor battery life and overheating. Battery is usually poor until it "calibrates" itself following the update. The overheating is something I would worry about though. I'm gonna hold of until I see how it pans out for others.

statto25 wrote: »
    It's out on Vodafone too but there are lots of folks on the Sony Forum complaining of poor battery life and overheating. Battery is usually poor until it "calibrates" itself following the update. The overheating is something I would worry about though. I'm gonna hold of until I see how it pans out for others.

I must have been lucky.

I haven't noticed any problems with over heating, and I have been using the phone to cast 2 films to my chromecast and also playing a game since after I updated around 4 today.

My battery is now down to 27% and it wasn't fully charged when I updated. It has been over 7 Hours on battery.

I will pay more attention to it tomorrow and report if I have any problems.

Edit: My phone has been on all day (9 hours) from an overnight charge and have only used 13% of my battery (now at 87%). No over heating problems.

Edit 2: My phone has been on 1d 12 hours on battery and I'm only down to 69% Charge. My phone has mainly been idle.

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

Have you had any issues since Saturday?
    I'm definitely not going near it judging by the Sony official forum. The overheating issue seems to be huge along with a problem where an incoming call notification comes from the earpiece rather than the speaker. Camera issues also reported.
    http://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/Xperia-Z1-Z1s/Z1-Z1s-4-4-2-update-issues/td-p/607929/page/17

statto25 wrote: »
    Have you had any issues since Saturday?
    I'm definitely not going near it judging by the Sony official forum. The overheating issue seems to be huge along with a problem where an incoming call notification comes from the earpiece rather than the speaker. Camera issues also reported.
    http://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/Xperia-Z1-Z1s/Z1-Z1s-4-4-2-update-issues/td-p/607929/page/17

Now on battery for 2 days and 8 hours and at 50% Discharged.
    No over heating problem.

Had an issue with very low sound, but that fixed itself when I shutdown and restarted the phone.

Haven't used the camera, so can not report on that.

• Advertisement

Off Topic: Magnetic Charger and Mini Sd Cards.

I acquired a Magnetic Charger cable from an Irish supplier. Ordered Friday and received in the mail this morning (Tuesday). I would recommend this product.

$_57.JPG

Amazon Deal of the Day: Kingston microSD cards up to 69% off

Ordered a 64gb version of the above from amazon.co.uk today.

Edit: Price has increased on the above by about £5 since I ordered it.

Back on topic:-

Android version: Google Android 4.4 (Kitkat) Latest available software: 14.3.A.0.757 is available from Sony. But not yet on the O2 network.

I hope this post helps
    Regards
    John

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

I think that the magnetic connector is a great idea (I have one which looks like it might be the same one as you, possibly from the same supplier, would need to check my eBay history) but I find my Z1 is very contrary when I try to use it. I don't know if the magnet is too proud from the connector or what, but the connection is far more delicate than the one with my old Macbook (as a good example of what a magnetic connector should be).

In addition, I found that:
    (a) it's possible to connect the wrong way around (with my cable, the correct orientation is with the cable trailing off towards the BOTTOM of the phone), which caused the phone to reboot (I was damned lucky that was all it did!) - this to me is a fatal design flaw - and
    (b) it interrupts whatever's currently happening on the phone if the connector either engages or disengages, which is bloody annoying.

Waiting for the second 4.4.2 release on O2 as well...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Bought that cable last week as well, it's very much so a "down for the night" cable. It's convenient esp. since you don't have to open the flaps for the micro USB port but the magnet is not too strong and separates easily if pulled / moved at an angle. Other than that, it works quite well.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/VicTsing-Charging-Charger-Adapter-XL39h-Black/dp/B00G5CR4CY/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1397637422&sr=8-7&keywords=sony+z1+magnetic+cable

corkie wrote: »

Just plugged in my Z1 this morning (from O2) - the update has landed :)

• Advertisement

Thanks Inspector Gadget

Just updating now. The update download is about a 1gb in size, large for just a patch update?

OTA update to 14.4.A.0.108 now available on O2!

Sony PC Companion probably has it a while, but my laptop is in for a fan repair at the moment, so couldn't use that method to update.

corkie wrote: »
    OTA update to 14.4.A.0.108 now available on O2!

Sony PC Companion probably has it a while, but my laptop is in for a fan repair at the moment, so couldn't use that method to update.

Ye are lucky, Vodafone are not releasing the update but instead are working on the next release. Isn't that just marvelous! If it wasn't a work phone I would horse it into the bin

I've been using 4.4.4 on the Z1 (on O2) for a few days now, my ringtones are no longer stuttery, and my battery life has gone up quite a bit, so I'm a happy bunny...

OTA update to 14.4.A.0.157 now available

Wasn't expecting a system update for a while.

Hopefully Sony are still planing to update this device to Android L in the new year.

Advertisement