Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bass Fishing

Options
  • 02-11-2010 8:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭

Hi lads,

I wonder is anyone into bass fishing on the forum at all?

I've been reading this guys blog here: http://www.irishbassfishing.com/
    and i've a hankering to go for some bass, usually I fish for pike but the sea bass appeals to me too.

any specific gear that I need or would i be able to use pike lures the first couple of times out?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Heavy pike gear is much the same.
    11' - 12' carp/pike rods with test curves of 3-4 oz in are probably made from the same manufacturers blanks.

Bass fishing is a warm water pursuit, if you live in Kerry bass are present all year round, elsewhere they leave and return so it dovetails nicely with winter piking.

The pike lures whould do fine. Lures that imitate sprat, mackerel, herring and launce/sandeel are ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭TimMac

I have also thought about doing a bit of bass fishing in west cork?

would an 8ft spinning rod with 12 or 14 lb breaking strain mono hold one?

anyone on the forum do any saltwater fly fishing I am really interested in getting into that :D
    coolwings wrote: »
    Heavy pike gear is much the same.
    11' - 12' carp/pike rods with test curves of 3-4 oz in are probably made from the same manufacturers blanks.

Bass fishing is a warm water pursuit, if you live in Kerry bass are present all year round, elsewhere they leave and return so it dovetails nicely with winter piking.

The pike lures whould do fine. Lures that imitate sprat, mackerel, herring and launce/sandeel are ideal.

Consider sea bass fishing from the shore like a version of spinning/worming for spring salmon or pike and the gear is a match.

The bass in calm estuaries are very shy, so the gear you would use for spinning or float fishing for grilse is more appropriate in thise situations.

I'd expect a 8' spinning rod with 12lb line would be fine for shore fishing in fine weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

I'm going to try on Sunday for a bass. I'm not an accomplished bass angler by any means but got some fresh crab today and there is some rough weather over the weekend so will try and pass away a few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭TimMac

Thanks that my salmon spinning set up, have landed a few big ones with it so it should alright.

Do they run as hard as salmon when hooked?
    coolwings wrote: »
    Consider sea bass fishing from the shore like a version of spinning/worming for spring salmon or pike and the gear is a match.

The bass in calm estuaries are very shy, so the gear you would use for spinning or float fishing for grilse is more appropriate in thise situations.

I'd expect a 8' spinning rod with 12lb line would be fine for shore fishing in fine weather.

• Advertisement

Yep! Also, if there's a tide flow they'll use it as well! :-)

Advertisement