Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flatties??

Options
  • 12-10-2010 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

I am quite a novice fisherman, having kinda exhausted mackerel and pollock fishing over the past few months I am looking forward to catching some flatties. Has the season started yet or am I way too early??

Thanks in advance.

:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭skipz

I always get a few here in louth of the beach, thats in the summer months. I think it picks up from now until the middle of december but iv never tried it in the cool weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭stevecrow74

now is a good time for them as they feed themselves up before spawning in deeper water around January/February,
    flatties will also be caught fairly close to the shore line on a beach within 10yrds and closer in some cases, size 1 hooks with lug tipped with mackerel, or mackerel strips are a good bait choice. Good luck in your venture..

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭boxer.fan

Going out this week. If using mackerel strips what is the correct size strip to use and should it be tied to the hook?? Is after dark the best time to go??

Thanks again.:confused:

No success catching flatties yet. No end to them goddamn dogfish though. Those things are a scurge. :mad:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

You can also try earthworms or prawns.

Sometimes a few beads up the trace helps, other times it doesn't, try both ways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

boxer.fan wrote: »
    No success catching flatties yet. No end to them goddamn dogfish though. Those things are a scurge. :mad:

I dont mind the doggies. Will gladly spend a day catching them if nothin else is biting. On light gear they give a very good account of themselves.

/probably be lambasted for that observation :o

SeaFields wrote: »
    I dont mind the doggies. Will gladly spend a day catching them if nothin else is biting. On light gear they give a very good account of themselves.

/probably be lambasted for that observation :o

The first 2 or 3 certainly do make a quiet day more interesting.

One of the doggies I caught though came up with a hook, trace & 3 oz lead hanging off it. The hook was lodged in its jaw, looked like it was towing it around for a while, well rusted. I managed to remove it and give the poor beast some relief hopefully. Surely someone didn't just return it with the hook still lodged???? :confused: :eek:

Advertisement