Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Timesplitters 2 and FIFA 2003 ?

Options
  • 05-11-2002 8:31pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Im thinking of getting these for xbox.
    Has anybody got them?

Timesplitters 2
    Ive read mostly good reviews especially regarding multiplayer.
    I know its splitscreen and system link but am wondering if it has AI bots for multiplay when none of your mates are around?
    Some reviews say its better than Halo multiplayer?
    Id love to hear from someone who has it or PS2 version.

Fifa 2003
    Is it any closer to Pro evo soccer on PS2 in the gameplay department?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I've got Timesplitters 2 on the GameCube and have been playing it solidly for the last few days.

On the positive side, its very, very similar to Goldeneye and Perfect Dark. If you've played either of them you'll fit right in with TS2.

There's also tonnes of stuff to do. You've got your standard Story Mode and you can also do all the multi-player modes with bots (up to 10 bots at one time, I think). But alongside that you've got Arcade (challenges against bots requiring you to do certain things - kill 25 robots in 4 minutes, for example) and, what I've got the most fun from, Challenge mode. There's some really funny ones too - bricking windows in a siberian military base, or running away from inflamed monkeys.

As you progress, you unlock more and more stuff - new game modes, new characters, new multiplayer maps - there's more than enough to keep anyone busy for a while.

The multi-player end of things is pretty comprehensive. There's a wide variation of modes (DM, Team DM, CTF, Assault and pretty much every other UT mutator features) and you can customise what weapons and bots feature on each map, Perfect Dark style. If you get bored of all that, there's even a Story co-op mode.

It's not all roses though. The Story mode isn't exactly Hollywood stuff - its more of an excuse to throw lots of varied locations at you, so steer clear if you're looking for a gripping narrative. The levels themselves vary from very good to extremely bland, bordering on annoying. From what I've unlocked so far, no multi-player map comes anywhere near the greatness of Goldeneye's Bunker.

The graphics aren't going to set the world alight either - environments are very sparsly detailed at times and the models aren't incredibly detailed. They're perfectly servicable of course, just nothing to write home about.

Overall though, its very hard not to recommend a game that lets you be a flame-thrower weilding monkey.

As for FIFA 2003: It is a vast improvement but it's still shit. Try Sega Soccer Slam instead!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Sounds promising ,how clever are the bots? and how are the controls? There seems to be a lot of hype about TS2 control system with most saying its better than Halos controls.
    Whats your take on this?

Thanks for informative reply Bibleman.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

The bots are acceptable opponents - some characters are more skillful than others and each have seperate rating for Accuracy, Agility and Stamina. They're obviously no substitute for a human opponent, but they're ok for passing the time.

Controls-wise, I have no problems. They're mapped to the GC pad as follows:

Control stick: Strafe, Back Forward (think WASD or Arrow keys)
    C-Stick: Look (mouse)
    R: Fire
    Z: Secondary Fire
    L: Aim
    A: Activate
    B: Crouch
    Y: Reload

It's the standard Dual Shock FPS controls just mapped to the GC pad really.

Advertisement