Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming/tech seeks skilled writers

Options
  • 11-09-2010 5:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭

An Irish website covering gaming news is looking for 2 to 3 writers to cover a variety of topics. Writers will be expected to write 2-3 articles a week. To start with there will be no pay but you will be getting your writing out there and hopefully if the site grows we will be able to generate some wages.

For details on how to apply e-mail fudgezjomomma@gmail.com

Paul

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭housemap

Cool I've been looking for a job with no pay for ages, most places kept offering me money.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭fudgez

housemap wrote: »
    Cool I've been looking for a job with no pay for ages, most places kept offering me money.

True and deliciously sarcastic but its a startup opp

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

I think it's wonderful, I mean, what are they going to do if you don't meet the quota? :D

Anyway, not a writer, but couple of q's nonetheless.

What platform(s) are you intending to cover?

What's your target market, age-wise?

Will you be selling advertisement space or using adsense etc?

2-3 articles a week: Of what length exactly? What will your editorial and topical policies be?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Nevore wrote: »
    I think it's wonderful, I mean, what are they going to do if you don't meet the quota? :D

Anyway, not a writer, but couple of q's nonetheless.

What platform(s) are you intending to cover?

What's your target market, age-wise?

Will you be selling advertisement space or using adsense etc?

2-3 articles a week: Of what length exactly? What will your editorial and topical policies be?

I'm also wondering what the site in question is?...

deathrider wrote: »
    I'm also wondering what the site in question is?...
    Ha, yeah that too. I missed the most obvious q I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

At this stage I've become used to gaming startups offering no money...But do ye accept freelance articles or is it as stated - that you are essentially demanding three articles per week (with a certain amount of work and time gone into them)...

Any perks at all going? At least Glimpse Dog made the offer of free games / potential travel opportunities...

🤪

I notice he's looking for a weekly comic strip over in the comics forum too. And still no answer. :rolleyes:
    Maybe we're coming across as too hostile? :D

Hey guys yeah you did come accross as a bit hostile to the idea... to answer some questions... there is no advertising on the site at the mo as you can see for yourself http://fudgez.net i have no immediate intention of putting any on if i was to then the site would be monetized and therefore I would pay the writers.

Obviously i cannot enforce the quota its more of a guide if you get me like if we want the site to get bigger we would need to be producing a decent amount of content so I would like to generate more from dedicated writing team.

We would of course be open to accepting freelance articles. just email them to fudgeznet@gmail.com :)

TBH i think you guys took me a bit serious this site is just a way of getting writing out there on the web atm. Its fun to do and will look good on the cv/portfolio.

the site again is http://www.fudgez.net

I promise to reply quicker next time :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Ah, just had a quick look there, I read through the Civ V impressions. Did anyone proof read it before it was posted? It's missing capital letters, full stops and incorrect punctuation. Doesn't give off the most professional impression.

• Advertisement

It was written by a mate of mine i did proofread it but i'm new to this must of missed a few spots.... cheers will have a look at it cheer for pointing that out will have another look at it after tonights match :)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,851 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

im pretty sure demoed is not a word and if it is it looks strange as hell.

It is a word and whats more it is used quite often when talking about tech.

http://www.google.ie/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=demoed

cheers for the nitpick though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

fudgez wrote: »
    It is a word and whats more it is used quite often when talking about tech.

http://www.google.ie/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=demoed

cheers for the nitpick though :)

But it doesn't appear in any dictionary so I can see. And as always just because someone is using it on the internet doesn't make it legit.

Also on another note are you only reviewing PC games and Xbox games as I play mainly handheld consoles and may have the time to review some for you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

http://fudgez.net/index.php/archives/51

that pic for final fantasy vii is actually from kingdom hearts

pdbhp wrote: »
    But it doesn't appear in any dictionary so I can see. And as always just because someone is using it on the internet doesn't make it legit.

Also on another note are you only reviewing PC games and Xbox games as I play mainly handheld consoles and may have the time to review some for you.

Because i'm pretty sure demoed is a word: http://www.wordhippo.com/what-is/the-past-tense-of/demo.html

Also that would be fantastic mate whenever you have time like, i am going to start iPhone games tonight but i don't own a PSP or a DS so yeah if you'd like to e-mail me an article, I could get you setup on the system :)

Jazzy wrote: »
    http://fudgez.net/index.php/archives/51

that pic for final fantasy vii is actually from kingdom hearts

I know just wanted a decent pic of Sephiroth

Because i'm pretty sure demoed is a word: http://www.wordhippo.com/what-is/the-past-tense-of/demo.html

Also that would be fantastic mate whenever you have time like, i am going to start iPhone games tonight but i don't own a PSP or a DS so yeah if you'd like to e-mail me an article, I could get you setup on the system :)

Well I have both systems and plenty of games for them I could start some of the back catalogue as soon as tomorrow.

Cool Cool i'll look forward to it mate :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

I know just wanted a decent pic of Sephiroth

but like... you used pics of all the other original games. sure you arent just writing for yourself and not your audience?

• Advertisement

it is a bit of both at the moment Jazzy that was one of the first articles I attempted aswell I was still learning how to use wordpress etc.

TBH i'm still not sure what I want the site to be exactly it is definately very personal in that I am writing on subjects that interest me but I also want it to be a decent gaming site so I guess your right it is in a strange place at the moment but with great feedback and alot of effort i'm sure we will get there.

Now if i'm not being too rude can i return this thread to its posted subject? I'm looking for writers/anyone else who thinks they can help. If you do have any feedback for the site feel free to drop me an e-mail/pm fudgeznet@gmail.com :)

See you're looking for a web comic on a weekly basis which is a tight timeframe to make any sort of quality comic.
    I would love to give it a bash but I suck at animation and have no clue how to make one for the net but I do have an excellent idea for a strip that I've been musing about for some time now and would love to see it come to life, though I don't want to put the idea out there as I wouldn't want anyone plagurising it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

Well fudgez,
    You will always get people willing to help out. But, since you are looking for help that is for free... Looking for "skilled writers" might be a tall order.

The best you can probably ask for is anyone who is up for doing it for free who at least has a grasp at writing.

LighterGuy wrote: »
    Well fudgez,
    You will always get people willing to help out. But, since you are looking for help that is for free... Looking for "skilled writers" might be a tall order.

The best you can probably ask for is anyone who is up for doing it for free who at least has a grasp at writing.

True enough mate, but u know the old addage, aim for the stars and all that. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Bonavox

Starting up a games website is no easy feat and it takes a lot of effort. Just a few tips going forward:

• Proofread everything very carefully. Flying through a finished article isn't enough; carefully analyse the copy as mistakes filter through and (assuming you're editor) it's your job to stop that from happening. Also watch out for grammar. Things like five exclamation points on a strapline doesn't look good and won't get you many readers.
    • Don't use the Arras theme. WordPress is a great system, very versatile and extremely powerful. There are thousands and thousands of themes available for it. Using the Arras theme isn't doing you any favours. So many gaming sites use it that it just looks tedious now, to the fact people can spot it the minute they go to the site. If you're set on it, edit the hell out of it.
    • Don't say you're going to pay people down the line, and don't make out it's a very likely possibility. It's possible, of course, but unlikely. If you're doing this as a full time job and can dedicate lots of money and lots of time then fine. Otherwise, be honest and say no, I can't pay you but I can offer review copies to dedicated and committed writers etc.
    Just some tips, don't take them as a complete criticism of your site. :D I quite like the name, and hope it succeeds. Ireland needs more gaming sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

No offense OP but there is absolutely no incentive, at all. It's not like there's a shortage of videogame blogs out there and most have a lot more going for them.

I mean, you don't even know what.... ah forget it.

Fudgez? Fudgez!? Fudgez

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭kev_like

True, it's not in any dictionarys but it's been a tech 'word' for quite a long time, it's probably something someone out there made up and it just stuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Hardest thing ive found is getting and keeping good writers, when i started my site a had a thread like this on boards and got about 30-40 replies, about 10 of those actually followed up with anything concrete, about 5 of those i was able to use. All of those 5 all slowly drifted off with piles of free games in their pockets that i had to pay for myself some that are even mods on this site just took a game and were never heard from again !!!

Sadly people just don't want to work for free and it turns out a free game for 10mins work is just too much to ask from them and for a long time it was just me working on my own.

But i kept going and its about 2 years later now and i have a good solid team in place 4 guys and one girl. Ive every big publisher bar Nintendo (who i refused to take on principle) & Capcom signed up. Im also now writing for a US and a UK publication which helps pay the bills.

So stick with it, the first few months will be really hard and will take a lot of changing things around until you land on a look you like. Be careful with Wordpress while it can make really good looking sites like Bono's one, one false move and it can ruin a site like what happened to another irish site that used to be on here that i wont mention.

We are based in Limerick too so if you do need any tips let me know, best of luck with it god knows we need some decent gaming press in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Bonavox

Hardest thing ive found is getting and keeping good writers, when i started my site a had a thread like this on boards and got about 30-40 replies, about 10 of those actually followed up with anything concrete, about 5 of those i was able to use. All of those 5 all slowly drifted off with piles of free games in their pockets that i had to pay for myself some that are even mods on this site just took a game and were never heard from again !!!

Sadly people just don't want to work for free and it turns out a free game for 10mins work is just too much to ask from them and for a long time it was just me working on my own.

But i kept going and its about 2 years later now and i have a good solid team in place 4 guys and one girl. Ive every big publisher bar Nintendo (who i refused to take on principle) & Capcom signed up. Im also now writing for a US and a UK publication which helps pay the bills.

So stick with it, the first few months will be really hard and will take a lot of changing things around until you land on a look you like. Be careful with Wordpress while it can make really good looking sites like Bono's one, one false move and it can ruin a site like what happened to another irish site that used to be on here that i wont mention.

We are based in Limerick too so if you do need any tips let me know, best of luck with it god knows we need some decent gaming press in Ireland

Awww, shucks. :pac:

• Advertisement

OctavarIan wrote: »
    No offense OP but there is absolutely no incentive, at all. It's not like there's a shortage of videogame blogs out there and most have a lot more going for them.

I mean, you don't even know what.... ah forget it.

Fudgez? Fudgez!? Fudgez

o....k...?

Advertisement