Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zelda Ocarina of Time

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,810 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

2smiggy wrote: »
    i bought majouras mask for the wii but have only played a bit so far. from what i have read i should give it another chance. seems like a slow start to it.

Do, it's excellent and there's nothing else like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

2smiggy wrote: »
    loved the OoT but i also loved twilight princess. been a while since i played it , but took me many hours to finish it and loved it all the way through.
    my ps3 did not get much use until i finished it. i cannot wait for the next one to come out.

i bought majouras mask for the wii but have only played a bit so far. from what i have read i should give it another chance. seems like a slow start to it.

A VERY slow start (Stupid Deku Scrub!) but once it gets going, it really starts rattling along at a fierce pace! It can on occasion be frustrating, but it's worth sticking with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭Daith

I only completed Majora fully once. Not too sure I would have the time again. Still what a brilliant game. It's quite, I dunno lyrical? Those transformations always freaked me out.

Loved Ocarina. Have played it countless times. It can get tedious when you're trying to skip through text (shut up you big Owl, oh crap I selected the wrong answer, here's the speech again). It's got some brilliant set pieces, great dungeons (the entire Gerudo stuff and temple is brill). Favourite part is probably when you get Epona and everything comes together.

Still my fav Zelda game is "A Link to the Past". Its got simpler graphics (even for the time) but when I first played it I was floored. My number one gaming memory is probably when you're in the Dark World and are trying to figure out how to get across the river. Then you get the hookshot...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,810 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Daith wrote: »
    Still my fav Zelda game is "A Link to the Past". Its got simpler graphics (even for the time)

Simpler graphics? I think the game is absolutely gorgeous even now. The 2D art is beautiful and never ages, unlike the garish 3D of OoT.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Simpler graphics? I think the game is absolutely gorgeous even now. The 2D art is beautiful and never ages, unlike the garish 3D of OoT.

No I agree but would have compared them to say Chrono Trigger or Secret of Mana? I love the art in ALTTP. Wind Waker is the only 3D one that will never age I think. That's lush too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭paperwork

I think there are loads of little things about zelda games that make them so amazing.

For some reason i just love the text boxes and the noise of the text coming onscreen, I tried final fantasy ( hated it) and Beyond Good and Evil (it was ok) but the one thing that really bugged me were the eerily silent text boxes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭qt9ukbg60ivjrn

I use to go to the Gerudo Valley just to listen to this...

sad I know:o but true

• Registered Users Posts: 34,429 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Retr0gamer wrote: »

+1 to infinity.

Zelda A Link to the Past is possibly the best game ever made for the best console ever made. OOT, while a decent game, still really isn't in the same league, at all.

Those who disagree were probably just too young to experience LTTP on release :P

o1s1n wrote: »
    +1 to infinity.

Zelda A Link to the Past is possibly the best game ever made for the best console ever made. OOT, while a decent game, still really isn't in the same league, at all.

Those who disagree were probably just too young to experience LTTP on release :P

Oh I loved LTTP. I've completed at least once every year since its release. There was always this puzzle in the Ice Palace involving blocks that I hated. Water Temple had nothing on it!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

I'll confess that i only played OoT maybe 5 years ago; as we never had an N64, so when we got a lend of it for a week or two, my bro (a big Mario fan) played OoT, and I (a big Zelda fan) played Mario just to mix it up. I'm probably the only one on earth would never got used to the 64 controller and didn't really like Mario 64. I have a particular fondness for 2D.

Anyway, when i got around to playing OoT a few years ago, I thought it was beautiful. I hated the jags of the N64, but the game was just a fantastic experience, an extremely solid Zelda game. I love how they interwove music into the game, a master-stroke. Definitely a slow start, and the water dungeon's a bollox, but the game is fantastic.

If they remade the game shot-for-shot but with new HD graphics, i'd definitely pick it up. Who am I kidding i'll pick it up on the 3DS :pac:

ALTTP remains my favourite; everything about the game is 10/10, but OoT is a game that everyone should at least sink a few days into. It's tremendously rewarding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,429 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

jaykhunter wrote: »
    I'm probably the only one on earth would never got used to the 64 controller and didn't really like Mario 64. I have a particular fondness for 2D.

Nope, I also hate that monstrosity.

People laugh at odd controllers like the one for the Atari Jaguar. I think the n64 fits alongside the likes of that perfectly.

Its horrible. Oddly shaped, hurts your hands for extended play times, totally useless D pad where the analog stick should really be, the analog sticks break really easily, they're too high, thumb slips off because there's no grip on the top. Stupid rumble pak thing sticking out of the bottom. Not only is overly big, it also needs batteries. Batteries!

Plus storing the things is a nightmare. All my other pads fit nicely in drawers. I have 4 of these things that just wont fit anywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Daith wrote: »
    Oh I loved LTTP. I've completed at least once every year since its release. There was always this puzzle in the Ice Palace involving blocks that I hated. Water Temple had nothing on it!

Oh my god you reminded me about something there. Playing through it near release for the first time, something strage happened in that castle. I'm not quite sure what, maybe it was a glitch, or a save-game on death fault - but the part where you've to throw blocks from one floor down to the next & then drop down yourself glitched for me. I got caught in a certain part of the castle & couldn't get across to the bricks (I mean couldn't!!), I remember seriously spending weeks if not months scratching my head & getting seriously frustrated over it. Eventually I copped on that this wasn't quite normal, I'd been around the entire castle many many times to figure it out. Reluctantly I started a whole new game & dreaded the approach to the ice castle.

When I reached it, & when I got to the point where I had been stuck, whatever obstacle was in my way in the previous save was not there this time. I passed through & went on to finish, what I still regard as one of the greatest games I've ever played :cool: I've yet to see a Zelda game that had the draw that LTTP had, graphics, music, story...it had it all.

Advertisement