Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tim Tam Explosions!

Options
  • 10-07-2006 5:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭

Inspired by Irish grumPy with the Lucky Charms thread, I would like to find out if anyone knows of anywhere in Ireland that you can get Tim Tams? For anyone who doesn't know, they're chocolate bars (from Australia) like Penguin (but no no defo not the same) and you make Tim Tam explosions by biting off each opposite corner, putting one corner in your hot tea and the other in your mouth and sucking up the tea, then turning the end quickly that was in the tea into your mouth and mmmmmm....... Natalie Imbruglia described it as orgasmic and she's not far wrong!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭LadyJ

Tori wrote:
    Inspired by Irish grumPy with the Lucky Charms thread, I would like to find out if anyone knows of anywhere in Ireland that you can get Tim Tams? For anyone who doesn't know, they're chocolate bars (from Australia) like Penguin (but no no defo not the same) and you make Tim Tam explosions by biting off each opposite corner, putting one corner in your hot tea and the other in your mouth and sucking up the tea, then turning the end quickly that was in the tea into your mouth and mmmmmm....... Natalie Imbruglia described it as orgasmic and she's not far wrong!!!
    I don't know what it is but this post,in my head,sounds like there's a really energetic and excited school girl reading it to me very quickly.....

Not in a pervy way though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Alessandra

I remember Nathalie Imbruglia was on Graham Nortons show a few years back complaining about having no tim tams in the uk. She did a live demonstration of what you are talking about with a pengui bar so I presume it would work if you gave it a try. Sounds very messy thoug.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Clinical Waste

Technically they are biscuits not individually wrapped bars like penguins and you do it with coffee not tea.

http://www.simplyoz.com/products/aussie_food/biscuits/tim_tams/tim_tams

btw I have 4 packets if anyone wants to put in an offer for one.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

there is was an aussie shop on molesworth street (thats molesworth street in Dublin for any moaning culchies lurking around) that sold them, and i think i saw them in the big supermarket where virgin used to be

tim tams are gank tho

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Tori wrote:
    you make Tim Tam explosions by biting off each opposite corner, putting one corner in your hot tea and the other in your mouth and sucking up the tea, then turning the end quickly that was in the tea into your mouth and mmmmmm.......
    I've been doing that with Penguin bars for donkeys years. Also works lovely with milk.
    Try it with TimeOuts too... yummy as the flake in the middle goes all melty...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭Tori

Alessandra wrote:
    I remember Nathalie Imbruglia was on Graham Nortons show a few years back complaining about having no tim tams in the uk. She did a live demonstration of what you are talking about with a pengui bar so I presume it would work if you gave it a try. Sounds very messy thoug.

Yeah I saw that show and an aussie friend of mine told me they were lovely. Another friend brought some back from Australia for me and they were awesome.......... with tea by that way 'cause that's the way I like them. I've tried penguins before and they're just not the same.

Bambi wrote:
    there is was an aussie shop on molesworth street (thats molesworth street in Dublin for any moaning culchies lurking around) that sold them, and i think i saw them in the big supermarket where virgin used to be

tim tams are gank tho

Thanks Bambi, will check it out next time I'm in town.

They are a bit gank alright if you don't do the explosion thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

Bambi wrote:
    tim tams are gank tho
    Have you tried the new ones like Kahlua or Tia Maria...they are pretty good esp. with hot chocolate. Take a bite out of either end and suck the hot chocolate up....YUM!

The one question I have about Tim Tams is why there are 11 in the packet. Crack a packet open with a few people and someone always gets more than someone else.

Conspiracy theory or too much time on my hands...you decide!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

Damn I forgot about the Cherry Ripe ones. Thats a whole new pleasure eh Tori?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Wrong forum. Moved from AH.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭\m/_(>_<)_\m/

Tori wrote:

have a sister coming home from Aus on holidays at the end of the week...
    she normally brings a couple of packets home.........mmmmmmmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

Someone told me about a similiar trick using a Twirl and hot chocolate.

dSTAR wrote:

Unfortunatley I've only ever had the plain ones - the Tia Maria ones sound great though!

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Strokesfan

Everyone is obsessed with these Tim Tams!!! I have to try them... anybody that comes home from oz raves about them. They must be putting a class A drug in them or something - too good to be true...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

dSTAR wrote:
    Cherry Ripe Tim Tams.

OMFG!

I want one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭MrsA

I am in Oz at the moment and I really don't get the attraction with these dreadful biscuits.
    There are much nicer ones out there.
    There are 2 lovely types of Biccie from NZ - Chocolate Thins and Squiggles much better than manky old Tim Tam's!!
    MrsA

MrsA wrote:
    I am in Oz at the moment and I really don't get the attraction with these dreadful biscuits.
    There are much nicer ones out there.
    There are 2 lovely types of Biccie from NZ - Chocolate Thins and Squiggles much better than manky old Tim Tam's!!
    MrsA

I suppose it's just a matter of taste.
    I know some (very few) people who love Hershey bars and I think they're the most disgusting thing ever invented! How can they even call them chocolate?!:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭MrsA

God yeah Hershey's chocolate should not even be blessed with the chocolate name.

I can tell you what is fab in Oz - Haigh's chocolate. It is quite expensive but they do chocolate disks and they taste so fantastic - the best choc here by far.
    Ask someone to bring some back.
    MrsA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭jaybird

Strokesfan wrote:
    Everyone is obsessed with these Tim Tams!!! I have to try them... anybody that comes home from oz raves about them. They must be putting a class A drug in them or something - too good to be true...

I think it may be more about what you were smoking prior to feeling the need for Tim Tams and Tea!
    Totally savage though !

MrsA wrote:
    God yeah Hershey's chocolate should not even be blessed with the chocolate name.

I can tell you what is fab in Oz - Haigh's chocolate. It is quite expensive but they do chocolate disks and they taste so fantastic - the best choc here by far.
    Ask someone to bring some back.
    MrsA

Actually I have a cousin over there so I might drop her a line and ask her to bring both over when she's coming home next time! Thanks.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Yea the tea thing can be done with Penguins alright. I've never done it but my brother does on occasion and he swears it's realllly good so I'll take his word for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 DrP

Try it with cadbury's chocolate fingers. Bite of either end, use like a straw to suck up a mouthul of tea or cofee or hot chocolate and then eat the finger quick beore the chocolate melts. Yum.

Advertisement