Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Steve Bruce has left Sunderland.

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,840 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Mark Hughes:eek:!!! is he really the right man? If i was a sunderland fan i would be more than a bit concerned.

I would class him as a step up from his old united temmate although I only rate Bruce as a bottom half manager.

Rafa & Moyes are (no offense) above Sunderland imo (or atleast I think that they see themselves as such).

Meanwhile MON could come with strings attached i.e wanting control of transfers etc which is the areas he has been criticised for before (if he didnt have final say on certain things and therefore was not likely to screw up a clubs wage bill etc He could be perfect for Sunderland though).

Therefore unless there is another name mentioned I'd assume Hughes would def be a favourite and if as Paulie says he is already lined up for an interview then signs would point towards him as a likely appointee. Atleast it points towards Sunderland not being left in the lurch and wanting to get a new man in fast, a new man who would get as much time as possible and a full transfer window to sort out his squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭sundula

As a Blackburn fan I would offer Sunderland Steve Kean - but alas our owners have tied him into a brand new contract - obviously they didnt want the likes of Chelsea or Barca stepping in and stealing him on the cheap. Stay away from Kean Mr. Ellis. :D, find youre own puppet manager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

Talk of David Moyes is absolutely crazy IMO, he won't leave Everton unless its for one of the biggest jobs. Personally I reckon he's a good bet to replace Harry Redknapp when he goes to England/jail.

Can never understand people not rating Mark Hughes. Did a good job at Blackburn and Fulham. Things didn't work out at City, but tbf to him, he wasn't given enough time given the wholesale changes he had to make

It seems that alot of the foreign owners like more control over wages/transfer budgets and finance in general than there english counterparts, the trend at alot of clubs is for the appointment of more obident and compliant managers. Martin ONeill is a no go for an american owner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

tommyhaas wrote: »
    Talk of David Moyes is absolutely crazy IMO, he won't leave Everton unless its for one of the biggest jobs. Personally I reckon he's a good bet to replace Harry Redknapp when he goes to England/jail,

Apart Spurs Moyes has little chance of one of the biggest jobs. Sunderland would be a great step for him as the'll have good financial backing and a very good ground with decent support so it's a great foundation for him to work under. Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal, City and United would be very unlikely to offer him a job tbh. I can't see many fans from any of those clubs being happy with Moyes.

sundula wrote: »
    It seems that alot of the foreign owners like more control over wages/transfer budgets and finance in general than there english counterparts, the trend at alot of clubs is for the appointment of more obident and compliant managers. Martin ONeill is a no go for an american owner.

Safe to say that would rule Rafa out. Just saw on Sky there that Lee Clarke is at 16's for the job, behind only Hughes, MON and Rafa. How would the fans react to that?

Apart Spurs Moyes has little chance of one of the biggest jobs. Sunderland would be a great step for him as the'll have good financial backing and a very good ground with decent support so it's a great foundation for him to work under. Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal, City and United would be very unlikely to offer him a job tbh. I can't see many fans from any of those clubs being happy with Moyes.

Well he wouldn't go to Liverpool for starters. I think Arsenal or Chelsea could be possible. If Arsenal were to replace Wenger, there's not many managers that have as good a record as Moyes without spending money, could be what Arsenal are after. Chelsea go through that many managers, that anything's possible, although I don't think they're capable of such a good decision. United and City I doubt

No disrespect to Sunderland, but why would he go there? Its going to take something special for Moyes to leave Everton, and Sunderland aren't that. They're a smaller club then Everton, and although they have spent money, much of that has been financed by sales. At the very best, it'd be a sideways step

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,292 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

I would disagree, in the last 3 - 4 weeks he seemed very dejected, I detected no real passion and he seemed to be a man who knew he was heading for the door.

I general I would agree that Bruce has tried his best and was very motivated and eager when he got the position and he got good money to spend and got good results. This season just seems to have dragged him down.

Bruce knew he had lost the fans, he knew it was the final nail in his coffin, there was no repairing of the relationship with them.

As PaullyD said, you can't fault his effort, but with not much else it can only get you so far, he should have got sacked after the copycat disaster run last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Agent Bruce's time is over. :(

A sad day for all Mag's. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

Really disappointed to see Bruce go. Was hoping he'd sign some more of United's dead weight in January! :D

I jest, but I do feel a bit sorry for him. Sunderland did very well last year. But since then Bent was sold against Bruce's wishes and then Asamoah Gyan was shipped out after the transfer deadline. Add Danny Wellbeck going back to Man U and Bruce was left with little options up front. I'm not sure Conor Wickham was the right player to buy to address that issue so that is one mistake he made. But overall I thought his other signings were good. And he did well in the transfer market overall, bringing in more money than he spent.

But it's a lack of goals that's been Sunderland's problem, and had things with Bent and Gyan gone differently, he could still be in the job. But they didn't and he isn't.

Hopefully he'll get another job soon. I like the guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,342 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Warper wrote: »
    Hard to think of someone worse than Rafa to take over bar maybe Sven

72865_o.gif

some people still baffle me.

he'd be better than Hughes and O'Neill put together.

anyway, either way Hughes would be a decent appointment, as would O'Neill. in fact, it'd be the perfect club for O'Neill take over...a lower-mid table club not quite realising its full potential. i reckon he'd get them top 8 within a season given the right backing.

he would need the finances available though.

Staunton's part of the Sunderland set up isn't he?

Ready made replacement right there.

Delighted he has gone writing was on the wall after Saturday. Would like to see us get Hughes in always done a good job at club level and was shafted a bit by City. Be good to get a manager who could motivate the players unlike Bruce who did not seem to be able to change things at half time or make the right substitutions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,520 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

I wouldn't feel that sorry for someone getting a nice compensation payment. He'll be grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

he should have been given more time..........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

brucebighead2.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

tommyhaas wrote: »
    Well he wouldn't go to Liverpool for starters. I think Arsenal or Chelsea could be possible. If Arsenal were to replace Wenger, there's not many managers that have as good a record as Moyes without spending money, could be what Arsenal are after. Chelsea go through that many managers, that anything's possible, although I don't think they're capable of such a good decision. United and City I doubt

No disrespect to Sunderland, but why would he go there? Its going to take something special for Moyes to leave Everton, and Sunderland aren't that. They're a smaller club then Everton, and although they have spent money, much of that has been financed by sales. At the very best, it'd be a sideways step

It's not like Moyes hasn't spend money to be fair. You'd really prefer to have Moyes as manager compared to Villa Boas? Come on, that can't be serious. Arsenal could have a pick of top class managers, Moyes isn't in that class I don't think. He's done a great job with Everton but he's never made them a force in the league, europe or even won trophies with them.

If it will take something special for Moyes to leave Everton then he is stuck at Everton becaue he wont get offered something special. If he's happy at Everton then he should stay, but if he's looking for a switch then it's either a club like Sunderland or villa(basically a lcub on a similar level to Everton) or else wait until Harry ****s off and then hope Spurs go for him.

It's not like Moyes hasn't spend money to be fair. You'd really prefer to have Moyes as manager compared to Villa Boas? Come on, that can't be serious. Arsenal could have a pick of top class managers, Moyes isn't in that class I don't think. He's done a great job with Everton but he's never made them a force in the league, europe or even won trophies with them.

If it will take something special for Moyes to leave Everton then he is stuck at Everton becaue he wont get offered something special. If he's happy at Everton then he should stay, but if he's looking for a switch then it's either a club like Sunderland or villa(basically a lcub on a similar level to Everton) or else wait until Harry ****s off and then hope Spurs go for him.

He's spent on average of £200k per year since 2006, and has a net spend of £7m at Everton according to the transfer league. To have Everton where they are, given the money that's been spent around him is a remarkable achievement IMO. No he hasn't won anything, but with funds I certainly think he could have. I don't think that should be used as a stick to beat him with though as he hasn't had a chance at a big club

I wouldn't compare AVB and Moyes, because all I know of AVB is what he's done this season, and the few times I saw Porto last year. My point about Chelsea was that with the number of managers they go through, it wouldn't surprise me to see them eventually go for a British manager, and that could well be Moyes

You say Arsenal could have their pick of managers, but realistically if Wenger went tomorrow, I don't think there'd be too many better candidates

That_Guy wrote: »
    Staunton's part of the Sunderland set up isn't he?

Ready made replacement right there.

Steve's tactical knowledge has obviously being under mining Bruce from within the club. I would love to see Staunton manage Sunderland just for the press conferences alone.

Steve's tactical knowledge has obviously being under mining Bruce from within the club. I would love to see Staunton manage Sunderland just for the press conferences alone.

"I made the entire team run 3 laps around Dundalk. The first 11 back were gonna be my starting 11"

Oh if only.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

It looks like O'Neill is winning the race between him and Hughes now.

Oh great :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Kingdom Bhoy

I think it will be Sparky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

Paully D wrote: »
    It looks like O'Neill is winning the race between him and Hughes now.

Oh great :rolleyes:

It should be hughes IMO, he has done a solid job everywhere he haas gone, even at man city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Bring back Ricky Spragia!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Sunderland in 'advanced talks' with O'Neill according to lots of reliable sources. Expected to take in the Wolves game from the stands.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Bring back Ricky Spragia!

Roy Keane as assistant. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,735 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

O'Neill the new Sunderland boss according to the BBC

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/15997197.stm

Never really rated him as a top manager tbh.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    O'Neill the new Sunderland boss according to the BBC

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/15997197.stm

Never really rated him as a top manager tbh.

Really even after all he did with wycombe, leicester celtic and then villa in the top 6 for 3 years ? Class apointment for us and the best manager available that realistically we could have got.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭leonidas83

Really even after all he did with wycombe, leicester celtic and then villa in the top 6 for 3 years ? Class apointment for us and the best manager available that realistically we could have got.

I agree, not always the best manager in the transfer market but look at villa since he left, he had them competing for champions league football and now they'll be lucky to finish top ten.

Be prepared for a manager if he finds the right formula for your team will stick to it rigidly and may hinder the development of some of your younger players though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

O'Neill is a average to decent manager.

That's it.

Hughes would have been more ambitious in my view as I think he has the potential to be better than O'Neill.

Rafa would have quite clearly been light years ahead of them both.

• Advertisement

Mr Alan wrote: »
    O'Neill is a average to decent manager.

That's it.

Hughes would have been more ambitious in my view as I think he has the potential to be better than O'Neill.

Rafa would have quite clearly been light years ahead of them both.

Dont see Rafa as light years ahead to be honest. Did well at liverpool in his earlier years but then struggled at the end and with inter as well. Good manager but hardly light years ahead of O Neill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Havent read through this but am I in the minority by thinking Bruce should have been given the chance to keep his job with games against Blackburn and Wolves coming up?

Sure some of his signings havent worked yet, but there was a lot of upheavel in a short space of time, and plenty have worked out. The team is still gelling together after the summer

Wickham, one for the future, Sessegnon a good signing imo, Westwood has been decent in goal with Gordon still injured

Look at what they lost since this time last season

Darren Bent
    Danny Welbeck
    Jordan Henderson
    Nedum Onuoha
    Asamoah Gyan
    Anton Ferdinand
    Craig Gordon (hasnt played yet this season)

Bednter divides opinion, i think hes muck personally, but Steve had good results with him before and obviously felt he could bring out the best in him, which if he could, would have been very good, Gardner has a proven premier league pedigree and should be performing better then what he has been.

I think its a shame Bruce didnt get to continue his work,another few games could have made a lot of difference to the league position, they should have been 5 up on Wigan by half time and they kept wasting chances and in the end got stung, but that lies with the players on the pitch for not putting the game to bed

I hope the sacking isnt a knee jerk to that one result cause I could understand how a chairman would wanna sack/kill him manager for losing at home to Wigan but it would be wrong

kryogen wrote: »
    Havent read through this but am I in the minority by thinking Bruce should have been given the chance to keep his job with games against Blackburn and Wolves coming up?

Sure some of his signings havent worked yet, but there was a lot of upheavel in a short space of time, and plenty have worked out. The team is still gelling together after the summer

Wickham, one for the future, Sessegnon a good signing imo, Westwood has been decent in goal with Gordon still injured

Look at what they lost since this time last season

Darren Bent
    Danny Welbeck
    Jordan Henderson
    Nedum Onuoha
    Asamoah Gyan
    Anton Ferdinand
    Craig Gordon (hasnt played yet this season)

Bednter divides opinion, i think hes muck personally, but Steve had good results with him before and obviously felt he could bring out the best in him, which if he could, would have been very good, Gardner has a proven premier league pedigree and should be performing better then what he has been.

I think its a shame Bruce didnt get to continue his work,another few games could have made a lot of difference to the league position, they should have been 5 up on Wigan by half time and they kept wasting chances and in the end got stung, but that lies with the players on the pitch for not putting the game to bed

I hope the sacking isnt a knee jerk to that one result cause I could understand how a chairman would wanna sack/kill him manager for losing at home to Wigan but it would be wrong

2 home wins in 2011 says it all. Not a knee jerk decision at all. Has been given more than enough chances and the fans have been very patient.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

2 home wins in 2011 says it all. Not a knee jerk decision at all. Has been given more than enough chances and the fans have been very patient.

2 home wins in 2011 does not in fact say it all

kryogen wrote: »
    2 home wins in 2011 does not in fact say it all

Sadly true it has been even worse than those stats provide.

Advertisement