Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good friday at private venue

Options
  • 07-07-2015 9:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭

Looking at getting married next Easter on holy Thursday, the venue we're looking at is a private venue (not hotel) so just wondering what would happen after midnight regarding bar... Will they still be able to serve?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

Not so sure. Best ask the owners. It would be a bit crap if the whole thing died at midnight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

Good Friday is a bad time to get married. Unless it is a civil ceremony and most of your friends are not too religiously inclined.

There are always annoying restrictions and anomalies which can affect your big day.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I think at midnight you'll all have to be off the premises, it's 11.30 closing on a Thursday and I don't think it would be possible for any license holder to get an extension into 1 of the 2 days pubs are supposed to be closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

If you had a free bar would that get around the rules?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

lazygal wrote: »
    If you had a free bar would that get around the rules?

I wouldn't think so as you would have to have people on a licensed premises out side of normal hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭buttercups88

it will be a civil ceremony and the venue has accommodation which we be staying in but are not a "hotel" as such so not sure, i've emailed them just to clarify

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭akamossy

I'd be looking at changing the date really if I were you. This is gonna cause you all kinds of hassle and you can't be sure things won't change coming up to the date even if they reassure you it would be ok. Wouldn't be worth the headache imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

If it is good Friday 2016 there is most likely going to be a blanket exemption to closing on good Friday due to the Easter rising anniversary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Frynge wrote: »
    If it is good Friday 2016 there is most likely going to be a blanket exemption to closing on good Friday due to the Easter rising anniversary.

What better way to celebrate our countries independence than by getting wasted.

Ya gotta love Ireland.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

What better way to celebrate our countries independence than by getting wasted.

Ya gotta love Ireland.

:pac:

It isn't even a celebration of that. It's a celebration of a failure. Whoop whoop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

I thought that the Good Friday booze rules don't apply in hotels etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

they don't apply to hotels but OP said it is more like a private venue to a hotel so it may differ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Not a NSA agent

I think hotels and private clubs get away with it by not being open to the public. I would assume that the private venue would be the same. Difficult to tell for certain though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

I could be wrong on this but I think hotels can only serve alcohol to residents on Good Friday, and there might be another rule about only serving drink with food.

Advertisement