Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What guitar is most suitable for me??

Options
  • 28-01-2005 10:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

I'm using epi LP standard
    I want to upgrade
    I have about 400~500 euro to spare
    I've got a marshall MG15R amp
    I was thinking of fender strat JAP....
    But I'd like to hear your suggestion
    I like alternative rock
    And I like rockin' roll 60's~
    What guitar is most suitable to play those???
    I really wanna get into playin guitar you know.....
    So I decided to invest some money....
    Any suggestions??
    Does the wood matter alot???
    I think my epi's neck is made from mahogany... I don really know....
    I heard epi LP is basically made from mahogany
    is rosewood better??? Fender seems to use alot of rosewood for the neck
    Its meant to be more comfortable and stuff
    And one more thing
    you know when you press down the strings sometimes you have to press stronger on some guitars
    I would like to know what guitars are softer(closer to frets and make no buzzing sound I guess) to press....
    It would be really helpful!!
    Thanks for reading~!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

hyungsup wrote:

yes the wood matters a lot, it's what gives each guitar it's unique sound.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Jetpilot

hyungsup wrote:
    I have about 400~500 euro to spare
    I've got a marshall MG15R amp

You might consider upgrading your amp first, I think a fender blues jnr valve amp was on sale in here for around 400 squids, that would suit the 60's rock n rock/alternative rock music kinda well imo.
    hyungsup wrote:

Yes!
    hyungsup wrote:
    I think my epi's neck is made from mahogany... I don really know....
    I heard epi LP is basically made from mahogany
    is rosewood better??? Fender seems to use alot of rosewood for the neck
    Its meant to be more comfortable and stuff

An epi standard has a mahogany neck with a rosewood fretboard, most fenders would be a maple neck with a rosewood fretboard, the only one I know to hand with a rosewood neck was the rosewood telecaster. For comfort you should be looking at trying out different neck shapes and painted/unpainted necks to see what you find more comfortable.
    hyungsup wrote:
    And one more thing
    you know when you press down the strings sometimes you have to press stronger on some guitars
    I would like to know what guitars are softer(closer to frets and make no buzzing sound I guess) to press....

Having to press harder to fret one guitar compared to another could be down to a lot of factors, badly setup, heavier gauged strings etc but if you are looking for really low action try out an Ibanez S series, a mate of mine had one and it seriously had the fastest neck ive ever played!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭disgruntled

I have to agree with jetpilot here. I'd upgrade that amp before upgrading your guitar. That Fender blues jnr is a really nice valve amp and Epi through that is going to sound better than a Jap Fender or whatever through that Marshall MG15R. I know Epi's aren't the best but I think your money is better spent on a nice amp at the moment. You can always upgrade your guitar later. As for which guitar, you asked a lot of questions about the wood used and undoubtedly this effects the tone of these guitars but the biggest difference between Fenders and your Les Paul will be the pickups. Single coil and humbuckers have very different and distinctive sounds and I think the best thing for you to do is go and try out as many different guitars as you can and see what feel right to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭hyungsup

Man thanks alot!!
    Ppl here are really kind and answer really well....
    I play games and I posted some stuff in games thread and they don really answer my question and talk about how ****e the game is....
    So different ppl....
    Special thanks to jetpilot!!!
    And one more thing....
    I'm keep getting a buzzing sound from my E string(6th)
    It doesn't buzz when I hold the first fret but it buzzes slightly when I hit it quite hard....
    Is this faulty???
    Well I was about to sell my guitar before I heard jetpilot's opinion and the guy who was asking me if there was any buzzing....
    It was like that when I bought it.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭jcoote

your neck could be bent was the guitar leanin on a wall or anything at any stage??? could be a bit of dirt or something too... get yourself a standard telecaster with a maple neck u can't not like the feel or sound of this one

• Advertisement

Best thing to do (presuming your in dublin) would be to drop your guitar into the guitar workshop for a full setup (http://www.theguitarworkshop.net/ for contact details). This should get rid of your buzzing problem, and make your guitar easier to play. You might also see about getting your guitar coil tapped if possible, which would mean having a push/pull pot installed, so you could for example pull the volume knob and the humbuckers you have will turn to single coils giving you a single coil tone a la strat.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,498 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

hyungsup wrote:
    Ppl here are really kind and answer really well....

Yeah, we rock!

jcoote wrote:
    your neck could be bent was the guitar leanin on a wall or anything at any stage??? could be a bit of dirt or something too... get yourself a standard telecaster with a maple neck u can't not like the feel or sound of this one
    ****!!! So you are not meant to let your guitar lean on the wall???
    I do that 24/7!!!

Hi jetpilot it seems that the guitar shop is located near portobello....
    I opened the map and because I don know the street names I really don't know where it is....
    where is south circular road??
    I live in Rathmines so I'm pressuming that it's really close....
    I know a guitar shop near the potobello (pub)
    I think that guitar shop is main distributor for Korg products like takamine...
    I went there once for the craic and man it took about 5mins to open the door
    There was another guy saying that this shop is actually opened but they are too lazy to answer the door
    anyway is it near to that place??

Its not actually a shop, its a workshop under a house that most of the music shops in town pass on broken guitars to to be fixed, just if you bring it in yourself you can explain to him directly all the probs (like the buzzing frets).

South circular road is very close to Rathmines. The easiest route to explain would be to walk up Georges St, and keep going up till you reach a junction just past the bleeding horse pub, take a right and you are on south circular road.

Jetpilot wrote:
    Its not actually a shop, its a workshop under a house that most of the music shops in town pass on broken guitars to to be fixed, just if you bring it in yourself you can explain to him directly all the probs (like the buzzing frets).

South circular road is very close to Rathmines. The easiest route to explain would be to walk up Georges St, and keep going up till you reach a junction just past the bleeding horse pub, take a right and you are on south circular road.
    Ah~~ so it's kinda residential area right??
    So if you take left you'll see luas tracks and stuff???
    Do you think he will charge me alot??
    How much should I expect to pay?
    just for a bent guitar neck...

• Advertisement

Yup, its a residential area, and yes if you look left at the junction there are luas tracks.

His prices are fairly reasonable, prob be around 30-40 euro for a full setup, but that does include saddle adjustment (i.e lower action, easier to fret the guitar) Thruss rod adjusment (straighten's the neck) Intonation adjustment (for tuning) polish of frets and necks (for a silky neck) electronics go over and the guitar cleaned, but it is definitly money well spent :).

Also a stand would be a fantastic investment (prob around a tenner) so you dont need to leave yer guitar lyin against walls ;)

Not that bad~~
    I know where south circular road is now...
    Anyway Thanks a million!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

Yeah, we rock!
    /agrees

Advertisement