Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bleak future for Inter-City rail services? (Speculation)

• 12-09-2013 10:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭

I have it on good authority that the No Trains Authority are seriously contemplating a future Inter-City rail network that would consist solely of Belfast/Dublin/Cork with 'possibly' the direct line to Limerick also being retained. Some future - better that they resign en masse and let Varadkar carry the can.

Whatever happened to opening up the network to other operators? What ever happened to the National Spatial Strategy? Whatever happened to any sort of long term planning? Time for this useless tier of bureaucracy to be got rid of?

Still the NTA will leave behind a rich legacy - we are all going to have cycleways to our front doors whether we want them or not. :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

And where is this information coming from?

Nothing that has been published even suggests such a policy.

This would be the same NTA that has sanctioned increased rail services to Portlaoise and Galway. Hardly a no trains policy there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

lxflyer wrote: »
    And where is this information coming from?

Nothing that has been published even suggests such a policy.

This would be the same NTA that has sanctioned increased rail services to Portlaoise and Galway. Hardly a no trains policy there.

Do you really expect me to reveal my sources? Anyway, I'm putting it out there and you can make what you will of it. In my opinion the NTA have thrown in the towel with trying to improve the railway and their attitude is that we now have a motorway network and that's that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Shure we don't even need trains anymore, the buses are faster and better and cheaper, we could put the buses on the tracks greenways and all. They might squash a load of cyclists but at least they'll be off the roads so we can all drive quicker to the provinces too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

I have it on good authority that the No Trains Authority are seriously contemplating a future Inter-City rail network that would consist solely of Belfast/Dublin/Cork with 'possibly' the direct line to Limerick also being retained. Some future - better that they resign en masse and let Varadkar carry the can.

Whatever happened to opening up the network to other operators? What ever happened to the National Spatial Strategy? Whatever happened to any sort of long term planning? Time for this useless tier of bureaucracy to be got rid of?

Still the NTA will leave behind a rich legacy - we are all going to have cycleways to our front doors whether we want them or not. :rolleyes:

The long time pipe dream of the Doheny and Nesbitt School of Economics. I would not be a bit surprised if this ultimately came to pass.

Do you really expect me to reveal my sources? Anyway, I'm putting it out there and you can make what you will of it. In my opinion the NTA have thrown in the towel with trying to improve the railway and their attitude is that we now have a motorway network and that's that.

I actually do expect some form of substance to an allegation of this sort - it's a fairly serious allegation to make.

Nothing yet, other than your rumours, has suggested an anti-rail policy at the NTA.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

lxflyer wrote: »
    I actually do expect some form of substance to an allegation of this sort - it's a fairly serious allegation to make.

Nothing yet, other than your rumours, has suggested an anti-rail policy at the NTA.

I'm not suggesting so much as an 'anti-rail' policy, more a case of throwing in the towel.

I'm not suggesting so much as an 'anti-rail' policy, more a case of throwing in the towel.

Well there has been nothing to suggest that either.

It's a fairly wild accusation to make.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

You have it on good authority....whose authority? Is it your own "suggestion"? Do you consider yourself an authority?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭W123-80's

I'm not doubting your sources, but I don't ever see that happening. Far too many vested interests in the upper echelons of CIÉ to allow it occur. The unions would also have something to say considering the amount of job losses that would result.

Even it it was openly proposed as something that was going to be persued it would take years to come to pass.
    I don't think it will ever be anything other than something that the NTA are seriously contemplating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,929 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

To be fair, is it that surprising? With the rise in motorways and decent(ish) national routes in most of the country and expansion of private bus services, we have to ask ourselves DO we really need a full intercity train service in a country that is what? 5/6 hours by car end-to-end?

The cost of tickets has to be a big factor but this is driven by the cost in fuel, maintenance, rolling stock and let's not forget wages. Plus there's the point that most people don't appreciate being dumped out on the edge of town in most cases when they can get a bus or just drive to wherever they need to be.

I'm just not sure that the country is big enough to really need it - especially given the population is mainly concentrated into Dublin, Cork and their commuter towns.

Contrary to what certain groups believe in this country (and it was reflected in the proposed plans for Dublin City Centre this week too), Ireland is not a public transport friendly nation - mostly because (like renting for example) it's seen as the poor man's alternative! To be used by those with no better option. When you then put that mindset in the position of policy makers, is it really that surprising that public transport suffers as a result?

To force a REAL shift in this attitude the first thing you'd have to do is scrap CIE and it's legacy attitudes and mindset to change entirely. Then you'd have to provide a service that people WANT (not what they're told they want) at a competitive price that takes very little thought to actually use (from a joined-up multi-mode AND ticketing perspective - and LEAP ain't that!).

If you did that then maybe more people would be tempted out of their cars and once word of the good service spread, you'd get still more people using it until you get to a point where "pro-public transport" measures can be introduced with minimal resistance.

But given the threat of strike still hangs over Dublin Bus and our government's response to setup another committee to investigate what they want (at our expense of course!), does anyone actually think this "utopia" will ever happen?

You'd get better odds on Trappatoni being reinstated I'd bet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,209 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    To be fair, is it that surprising? With the rise in motorways and decent(ish) national routes in most of the country and expansion of private bus services, we have to ask ourselves DO we really need a full intercity train service in a country that is what? 5/6 hours by car end-to-end?

The cost of tickets has to be a big factor but this is driven by the cost in fuel, maintenance, rolling stock and let's not forget wages. Plus there's the point that most people don't appreciate being dumped out on the edge of town in most cases when they can get a bus or just drive to wherever they need to be.

I'm just not sure that the country is big enough to really need it - especially given the population is mainly concentrated into Dublin, Cork and their commuter towns.

Contrary to what certain groups believe in this country (and it was reflected in the proposed plans for Dublin City Centre this week too), Ireland is not a public transport friendly nation - mostly because (like renting for example) it's seen as the poor man's alternative! To be used by those with no better option. When you then put that mindset in the position of policy makers, is it really that surprising that public transport suffers as a result?

To force a REAL shift in this attitude the first thing you'd have to do is scrap CIE and it's legacy attitudes and mindset to change entirely. Then you'd have to provide a service that people WANT (not what they're told they want) at a competitive price that takes very little thought to actually use (from a joined-up multi-mode AND ticketing perspective - and LEAP ain't that!).

If you did that then maybe more people would be tempted out of their cars and once word of the good service spread, you'd get still more people using it until you get to a point where "pro-public transport" measures can be introduced with minimal resistance.

But given the threat of strike still hangs over Dublin Bus and our government's response to setup another committee to investigate what they want (at our expense of course!), does anyone actually think this "utopia" will ever happen?

You'd get better odds on Trappatoni being reinstated I'd bet!

I agree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

"I have it on good authority.." isn't really the basis for discussion.

Perhaps when, and if, this actually becomes a thing and there is a source to support it, then the discussion can be reopened.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement