Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PERSONAL WEATHER STATIONS: Queries and Advice

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Comhrá

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Have a Davis Vantage Vue (solar panel attached to recharge itself) beginning to get on in years but I'm not planning to upgrade any time soon!

Lately I'm having an issue with the batteries. The recent frost seems to have decimated them, with the weather station losing power most nights at around 4/5am and even in unbroken sunshine doesn't function until 2/3pm the next day, if it is cloudy, it may not come back at all until the next day at 2/3pm.

The obivous solution here is to service it and replace the batteries, which I have been meaning to get around to, however despite the cloudiness of yesterday and today, the weather station has not died whatsoever, meaning I've gotten 60+ hours of battery life in cloudiness, whereas if it was sunny it would only last 12-15. Since the sunshine stopped I've also lost the low battery notification.

I'm stumped to be honest, I'll just service it and replace batteries anyway when I get a chance, but does anyone have any experience here? Does this indicate anything, or is my station just temperamental?

I have a similar model which I bought around 2009.
    Still working fine.

Only battery issues I've had were some spurious 'low battery notifications' for the outside station appearing a few times a year, even with relatively fresh batteries in use.

I found that the station doesn't like cheap batteries so I used Duracells last few times with better results for battery life and no further false battery warnings.

Those Vantage Vues are prone to failure of the humidity sensors and I had to replace mine about 5 yrs ago.

I bought the sensor from Weatherspares in the UK.

https://weatherspares.co.uk/collections/davis-instruments

and I found them very helpful with instructions on fitting the new sensor (reasonably simple)

It might be worthwhile giving them a call about your issue as they seem to be very knowledgeable about the Vantage stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Just spent the last 3 hours taking apart and cleaning my Davis weather station and by doing so, I really got to appreciate just what an appallingly designed machine it is. Numerous single plates (and I ask.. WHY??) that don't fit back together when you are setting it back up (had to leave the two bottom plates as the screws wouldn't keep them locked on). Wires everywhere with connections that are inaccessible unless you take to whole thing apart. For example, after spending over a hellish half an hour jigsawing the plates back together (two of which would not fit) I realised that I had forgotten to reconnect the fan. Of course, that could not be done without taking everything apart again and **** that. I instead just pulled the wire off. These are unnecessary complications due to terrible design that I, or anybody else, does not need in their lives. Was very close to just getting a sledge hammer and smashing the whole thing to bits but I kept my cool.

Either way, I am pretty much done with this god-awful machine. It was always an unnecessarily bulky eyesore to look at anyway so hence-with, I'll be on the look out better weather station that is far easier to maintain.

New Moon

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

So....without telling anybody I set up my Davis Vantage Pro2 on the front balcony of my new house (at third floor/facing the sea) yesterday.

Her in doors went to the shop and spotted it immediately on her return. Gaskets blown (big time)!!! In fairness it is fairly conspicuous and I am sure it would not be too long before neighbours pass comment!

To keep the peace, the Vantage Pro2 is back down again and I will have to put out in the back garden (which is very small and very sheltered).

For the balcony, I will need to consider something smaller/more compact if I am to be allowed to put anything up at all! Aside from looking at a Vantage Vue, any suggestions for a really decent compact station?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Well, nothing really close to Davis in terms of reliability, to be honest. Bit more discrete would be Davis sonic anemometer instead of traditional one.

If you would consider Vue unit with pro console, I'd gladly swap, as I prefer to have sensors separately, not all in one. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Anyone have a Bresser weather station are they any good

• Advertisement
    Unregistered Users

Finally, my new old (explanation to follow) weather station is up and running! And online as well! Happy days!

Long story short - after years of struggling with not at all reliable Fine Offset (and their clones) weather stations, some time ago I bought 2nd hand Vantage Vue off fellow boardsie. Regrettably wind speed readings were way off (I estimate it showed just 1/3 of real wind speed), despite few new parts and multiple sites tested. Last month bit the bullet and bought Vantage Pro2 sensor suite, installed last weekend. Wind gauges on top of the roof (approx 1.5m above), the rest 1.8m above the lawn. Earlier this morning station connected to the PC, Cumulus (legacy) installed and set up.

I did my very best to clean up erroneous entries from the history (thank you Fine Offset for cheap tat you're selling!), finally gave up and decided to start from scratch. It's a pity, as I had roughly 12 years of data I cannot use.

Well, anyway, I am glad to be back!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Welcome back!

By the way, did you connect Pro 2 wind gauges to Vue?

I just bought myself a Vue because it's more suitable for installation to where I am living now, and the Pro 2 was coming to the end of it's life (but wind gauges still working fine).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭RainInSummer

I used to rock a couple of Davis stations back in the day (Vantage Vue and a Pro 2). Are they still back in the data logger and cable days or have they modernised at all? WiFi etc?

There's definitely an after market opportunity for someone there if they haven't themselves.

@RainInSummer My new Vue is all wifi. My old Pro 2 is cabled (bar wireless connection between sensors and console).

Unregistered Users

Thank you!

Yep, I actualy connected entire Pro2 ISS to VUE console, wirelessly. Still have VUE ISS on the roof as well, just too lazy to remove it (saying I'd keep it there as a backup is just an excuse TBH).

If you'd ever consider selling your old Pro2 - let me know please. Would be handy to have some spare parts. ;-)

• Advertisement
    Unregistered Users

Plenty of options to choose from. You can go wired/wireless in terms of connection between ISS and console, the data from the console can be obtained by good old USB or wi-fi, or ethernet. :-)

All that depends on what version you choose while buying.

Unregistered Users

Rain just stopped for a while, so immediately went out to shoot some photos.

VUE sensor unit (now disconnected) and VP2 wind gauges:

Far from perfect, but have no better place.

The rest of the VP2 sensor suite on the pole, accompanied by few now unused items, just left them there for the craic:

Willow trees are a bit close to the whole thing, I know, but IMO sensors are placed high enough to avoid rain shadow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,486 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Unregistered Users

VUE console off fellow boardsie. Brand new VP2 sensor suite off German webshop:

The cheapest place in Europe to buy VP2 ISS (without console) at the moment of purchase.

Cheers for the replies!

Did you buy the WiFi Weatherlink Live gadget or does the base unit natively support WiFi?

Unregistered Users

I didn't. Have it connected to the laptop via USB. My top priority was to be able to store all the data locally, so that suits me better. :-)

I got weatherlink with my new Vue. Easy to set up.

Cool. Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭mun1

Wasn’t brave enough to buy a Davis WS but think i got a decent deal on a Ecowitt 2551 for €218 on Amazon Uk.

looking forward to it Arriving and putting it together.

picked up a good bit of advice on this thread, so thanks everyone.

Getting quite different rainfall recordings between my old Pro 2 and new Vue.

This morning: Pro 2 = 11.6mm Vue = 18.6mm. To add to the variance my Netatmo had recorded 13.5mm and another Vue station (about 200m from me) recorded 16.5mm!

As far as I am aware, settings/set up for Pro 2 and Vue correct!

Anybody have suggestion/have link for test for rain gauge?

I assume if you pour x mls through the rain gauge you should record x mms rain (to verify)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭almostthere12

Hey mun, how are you finding your new station? Looking to get one in and around that price range so interested to hear if you would recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭giveitholly

So I am going to get a manual rain gauge. I see some of them are cone shaped. Is there any real difference between the various gauges?

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭newirishman

Hey - looking through this thread and would appreciate some feedback on that Ecowitt station! The Davis is too much for me.

And there's 10% off the Ecowitt's this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭almostthere12

Sorry can't provide you with any feedback yet, have it but haven't put it up as moving house soon!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Picked up a handheld anemometer today in Lidl, dont know how good it is but will be intertesting out on my walks along the coast.

To note two different styles on offer in different boxes, nearly went out with the Humidity/ Temp sensor !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭KAGY

If they're still there, I might pick one up to strap to the bike on a ride or two. Always wondering just how much the head wind affects me

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭pureza

Just seeing this now as I was about to post that I had to replace the humidity and temperature sensor in my Davis vantage Pro 2

Old one stopped recording humidity

The replacement delivered was around 90 euros from HH

In my experience, if there's any exposure to wind at all,any rain guage can under report rain

Not all the time

Mine is very exposed and is currently running about a 100mm behind an official manual met Eireann station located in a large garden that's sheltered all around by a high hedge but with the hedge's a good 10 metres from the guage

Most of the time my Davis tallies with a manual guage here,by manual I mean pouring the contents of the rain bucket into a measuring glass tube

Just to add to the above,I forgot to mention that the Vue console will pick up and display the vantage Pro 2 weather information

The pro 2 console likewise will pick up the vue

So if you have both operating within ear shot of each other,you won't know which is which without completely powering down one and even then its difficult to tell unless you know the frequencies they're operating on because the data will be almost exactly the same

I was reminded of this today because I dug out my old Vue console to use as a display in a bedroom

Best way to know is pour some water into the view,if its not recorded, you've a problem

If its recorded on both,you'll know you're connected on both to the Vue

Ditto the vantage

Different wind speeds might also tell you

Or in the case of the set up,you'll see both stations in the menu but you may not have looked for both in set up if you weren't aware the consoles can receive both

The latter is where you'd inadvertently end up with both consoles receiving and displaying from the one weather station

Data could be different from both in the above scenario either if both are operating on the same frequency as there could be drop outs because one is interfering with the other

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭talkabout

The recent storm (ongoing) has convinced me I need to replace my Bresser 7 in 1 to a Davis. I was looking at the Vantage Vue or Vantage Pro 2 but there is so many options. Could anyone recommend a unit (and best place to purchase), I just want reliable readings, the ability to download to Cumulus and upload to Weather underground etc and a decent console for the house. I would prefer wireless over cable.

• Advertisement

There's only one or two places in Ireland to buy Davis

weathershop.co.uk are who I bought mine from but that was pre the introduction of full Brexit tarrifs

Seemsa decent price ( doubled though on what I paid a few years ago )

It's a good piece of kit

Advertisement