Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is my HKC unit linked to a sim or home phone

Options
  • 03-09-2014 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭

HI folks,

Recently bought a new house.
    All that came with it was the alarm code - fine.

However, the seller mentioned briefly one day that they would be cancelling the home phone and maybe I would want to get one in for the alarm. This was in the context of a chat about the alarm system with my wife and how he used to receive sms if the panic button was pressed by his mother or if house alarm went off.

I don't know what system is in place though. I know it is a hkc box in the hall of the house but I have no idea how to configure a text message, whether there is a sim card somewhere linked to it or if it was hooked up to the (now dead) home phone line.

Anyone able to tell me what I should see that will determine the setup??

Thanks a mill

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,651 ✭✭✭✭altor

HI folks,

Recently bought a new house.
    All that came with it was the alarm code - fine.

However, the seller mentioned briefly one day that they would be cancelling the home phone and maybe I would want to get one in for the alarm. This was in the context of a chat about the alarm system with my wife and how he used to receive sms if the panic button was pressed by his mother or if house alarm went off.

I don't know what system is in place though. I know it is a hkc box in the hall of the house but I have no idea how to configure a text message, whether there is a sim card somewhere linked to it or if it was hooked up to the (now dead) home phone line.

Anyone able to tell me what I should see that will determine the setup??

Thanks a mill

I would say from your chat you had it has a text dialer installed that uses your land line to text an alarm event. With talk of this service being removed I would hold off getting the Eircom line till a date of the service being removed is announced.

To change the numbers you will need to be in engineer mode on the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Yeah so it is no longer hooked up to that now.
    Should I start enquiring with an alarm company about installing a gsm sim card unit to text me?
    I am asking this in the context now that I haven't got a clue. I never had an alarm before.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭John Kelly of

It's expensive to get a gsm hooked up to that, the cheapest option is probably something like this which I think would cost about 240 euro
    http://www.gjd.co.uk/products/speech-diallers/gsm-communicator/
    thats if you fit it yourself which isn't too hard if you have time and inclination, if you get someone to fit it then it would be more of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Evolution1

Check adverts as I've seen the GSM-P's going cheap enough

Yeah so it is no longer hooked up to that now.
    Should I start enquiring with an alarm company about installing a gsm sim card unit to text me?
    I am asking this in the context now that I haven't got a clue. I never had an alarm before.

Yes I would. If you do buy a second hand GSM and the system itself turns out to be engineer locked you will need them to set it up for you. If your confident to default and reprogram the system if not engineer locked then I would do it yourself. Your call on this :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭irishproduce

I think I'll ring an alarm company. Thanks folks

I think I'll ring an alarm company. Thanks folks

Any other problems let us know.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭peking97

altor wrote: »
    I would say from your chat you had it has a text dialer installed that uses your land line to text an alarm event. With talk of this service being removed I would hold off getting the Eircom line till a date of the service being removed is announced.
    Any update on this service removal?

peking97 wrote: »

Still no update. As soon as I hear I will let you know.

peking97 wrote: »

Got this today in mail.

324360.JPG

• Advertisement
Advertisement