Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"hero" student finds toddler wandering the streets

• 20-03-2014 11:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭brianb10

Looking at the breakingnews.ie facebook page that showed a picture of the student who rang the guards when he found a toddler walking on the street at 2am.

there are thousands of comments saying what a hero he is, guardian angel, what a guy etc etc

I mean, luckily enough he came across the kid before he had ran out onto the road but what else was he going to do? Leave him there and do nothing?

I don't think there is a single person in the country who wouldn't have stopped and rang the guards.

Has society gotten that bad that a completely normal reaction that 99.99999% of people would do is hailed as that of a hero?!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

I agree, dont get me wrong, he DID do the right thing but in that situation anyone would, wouldnt they??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

I don't know that it's meant literally - just "Thank fook the kid is safe."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭dmc17

I saved someone's life today....................... by not running them over at a zebra crossing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

How a child of that age leaves a house just like that is beyond me.

Common sense cannot be taken for granted in today's world!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

How a child of that age leaves a house just like that is beyond me.

The door, handy yokes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭brianb10

I don't know that it's meant literally - just "Thank fook the kid is safe."

No, they mean it alright!!

Some of the comments:

what a hero
    He deserves a medal
    what a great guy, well brought up
    his parents should be proud!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Unfortunately, there are all too many people who would just walk on by, and the 'hero' tag is becoming a lot more apt than it ever should.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

"Hero" may be a bit OTT but I'd say you would be surprised at the amount of people who would drive on by. Credit where credit is due IMO

BMJD wrote: »
    The door, handy yokes.

Don't most doors have a lock?
    I lock mine as soon as I come in, but would always have it looked when darkness falls! How would a toddler reach the handle?

I lock mine as soon as I come in, but would always have it looked when darkness falls! How would a toddler reach the handle?

A ladder, handy yokes.

• Advertisement

I think only a tiny minority wouldn't intervene if they saw a toddler wandering alone in the dead of night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

Unfortunately, there are all too many people who would just walk on by,

Sounds like something I'd do to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

One has to marvel at the levels to which AH stoops for hyper-critical vantage of late.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

I think only a tiny minority wouldn't intervene if they saw a toddler wandering alone in the dead of night.

Midget travellers.............. damn their black hearts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭Odelay

brianb10 wrote: »
    Looking at the breakingnews.ie facebook page that showed a picture of the student who rang the guards when he found a toddler walking on the street at 2am.

there are thousands of comments saying what a hero he is, guardian angel, what a guy etc etc

I mean, luckily enough he came across the kid before he had ran out onto the road but what else was he going to do? Leave him there and do nothing?

I don't think there is a single person in the country who wouldn't have stopped and rang the guards.

Has society gotten that bad that a completely normal reaction that 99.99999% of people would do is hailed as that of a hero?!!!

Do you honestly think he walked that far without someone else seeing him? A two year old? At least this guy stopped and called someone.

I find that hard to believe.

I hope you're right being so optimistic FF, but I wouldn't put my house on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Well the kid walked a mile from his house - chances are many people passed and didnt do anything

Also on Morning Ireland this morning was said he helped guards look for the parents

Not a "hero" in mythica Hercules sense but fair play to him

I hope you're right being so optimistic FF, but I wouldn't put my house on it.
    But why? I just mean this in general, but sometimes I think there's cynicism out there for the sake of it. People aren't really that dreadful overall that a huge number of us would just ignore a tiny child out alone in the middle of the night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭William F

I found myself in similar circumstances a couple of years ago. i was walking out home from town in a rural area. Ahead were two small kids aged around four running a long the footpath. There was an old lady passing by on a bike and it turned out the kids had escaped from their childminder.

I thought the most responsible thing here would be for the lady to take control of the situation and yet instead she said ''there not my kids'' and cycled off. The two kids entered a field with horses.

By this time I had passed the old lady and kids and they just disappeared. I kept walking and ten minutes later the child minder drove past in a rush asking did I spot the kids. I told her what had happened and I take it it was the last time she ever minded kids again.

What a crazy situation. I couldn't believe the attitude of the old lady.

• Advertisement

dmc17 wrote: »
    A ladder, handy yokes.

Such a childish comment.
    I don't think AH excuses it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Butterface

How did they discover who he belonged to and where he lived?

what else was he going to do? Leave him there and do nothing?

What is he? A PSNI officer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

My 16 month old grandchild showed us how its done today :eek:
    They watch everything. Opening a door at 2 and a half is easy.
    All I can say is thank god the little fella is ok :)

But why? I just mean this in general, but sometimes I think there's cynicism out there for the sake of it. People aren't really that dreadful overall that a huge number of us would just ignore a tiny child out alone in the middle of the night.
    It's not cynicism, it's world-weariness. The majority would intervene, I am pretty sure, but the minority that don't give a fcuk about anything or anybody other than themselves is a lot more sizable than it should be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Dublin_Mom

To be honest, I do think this young guy deserves a lot of credit for taking control of the situation.

The sad reality is that a lot of men might be fearful of an accusation of how they came to be near the child in the first place, and would just walk on by. As a society we have become very phobic about men being near a child (usually when they are not related to the child)

So yes I think this young guy was brave to do the right thing.

Such a childish comment.
    I don't think AH excuses it.

My sincerest apologies. To answer your question. Yes, most if not all modern doors would have a lock on them. It may be possible that someone left the door open or that the toddler climbed up on something to open this particular door.

Dublin_Mom wrote: »
    To be honest, I do think this young guy deserves a lot of credit for taking control of the situation.

The sad reality is that a lot of men might be fearful of an accusation of how they came to be near the child in the first place, and would just walk on by. As a society we have become very phobic about men being near a child (usually when they are not related to the child)

Actually that's a good point: the paedo hysteria thing is a warranted fear for guys having any dealings with children.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭AndonHandon

Anyone can be a hero, even it's just something like ensuring a stray child gets back home to let his parents know that the World hadn't ended.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Hooked

Butterface wrote: »
    How did they discover who he belonged to and where he lived?

Drove around the estate and found a house with a light on and door open, apparently...

Anyone can be a hero, even it's just something like ensuring a stray child gets back home to let his parents know that the World hadn't ended.

Ah, the front door was wide open when the guards found the house....... so, I'd say the parent was a bit unawares as to the "world" either starting or ending.
    According to gardaí, a door left open at the boy's house was what led investigating officers to the parent of the toddler who was completely unaware the toddler had left home.
    http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/two-year-old-boy-who-climbed-from-cot-walked-mile-from-home-reunited-with-parents-625511.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

wprathead wrote: »
    Well the kid walked a mile from his house - chances are many people passed and didnt do anything

It was a housing estate at 2am and he was found shortly after he came to a main road. Chances are the guy who found him was the first person to come across him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

If it was my 2 year old that wandered off I would call that guy a hero.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

A two year old walking almost a mile at 2 in the morning in just his nightie and holding his blanket?

They breed them hardy in Limerick :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭cuana

Dublin_Mom wrote: »

Personally I think this applies to any situation if the child isn't known to you, I also found a little girl wandering the streets at 6am in the morning she was about 3 or so at the time. I didn't leave her out of my sight but before I approached her I was on the phone speaking to the local garda station. I waited with her until they arrived gave them my details but I found the whole experience unnerving! Poor girl was so cold I had nothing to wrap her up in and honestly I didn't even entertain the idea of putting her into the car I just kept her talking. I was just grateful she met me & not some opportunist that could have taken advantage of the situation. In fairness to the Gardai they were excellent and were there within a few minutes.

I will always wonder about that little girl namely because it struck me that she was fully clothed with shoes on her! She could barely string sentences together let alone dress herself! I thought it so strange that she wasn't wearing pj's of course all the Gardai could tell me was that she had returned home safely!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

I hope the social services pay a call to those parents and put them on a watch list. Unbelievable behaviour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭gavdolfini

William F wrote: »
    I found myself in similar circumstances a couple of years ago. i was walking out home from town in a rural area. Ahead were two small kids aged around four running a long the footpath. There was an old lady passing by on a bike and it turned out the kids had escaped from their childminder.

I thought the most responsible thing here would be for the lady to take control of the situation and yet instead she said ''there not my kids'' and cycled off. The two kids entered a field with horses.

By this time I had passed the old lady and kids and they just disappeared. I kept walking and ten minutes later the child minder drove past in a rush asking did I spot the kids. I told her what had happened and I take it it was the last time she ever minded kids again.

What a crazy situation. I couldn't believe the attitude of the old lady.

Cant believe you both just carried on with your day!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭Lou.m

Maybe it is good to over praise a good deed to encourage others to act similarly. Perhaps you underestimate how many would think it was none of their business.

It is nice to be nice but yes I agree it should be seen as normal I know what you are saying.

It can be complicated to deal with lost children.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

Piliger wrote: »
    I hope the social services pay a call to those parents and put them on a watch list. Unbelievable behaviour.

get a hold of yourself! they were not in any way negligent. children will be children and they will attempt all sorts. I have heard multiple variations on this story from people in the last few days.
    They will surprise you with their abilities and frighten the life out of you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

lynski wrote: »
    get a hold of yourself! they were not in any way negligent. children will be children and they will attempt all sorts. I have heard multiple variations on this story from people in the last few days.
    They will surprise you with their abilities and frighten the life out of you.

Having brought up three children as a home parent I disagree. They should be held responsible for their duty of care.

• Advertisement

Piliger wrote: »

Parent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Gokei

BMJD wrote: »
    The door, handy yokes.

Is that what they're for?!? Fooks sake. No more climbing through windows for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭celticcrash

Are you dead?
    You would want to be mentally and emotionally dead inside to just walk on by. Maybe you are.

William F wrote: »

By this time I had passed the old lady and kids and they just disappeared. I kept walking I couldn't believe the attitude of the old lady.

You couldn't believe the attitude of the old lady who did exactly what you did.
    Nothing.

So glad nothing happened to those kids, or maybe you might actually feel a little bit bad about it???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

I can't help hoping that this student feels they did nothing heroic and that any student or young person would have done exactly the same if confronted by a toddler out rambling the streets at 3am

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

foggy_lad wrote: »
    I can't help hoping that this student feels they did nothing heroic and that any student or young person would have done exactly the same if confronted by a toddler out rambling the streets at 3am

So would an older person :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

Chucken wrote: »
    My 16 month old grandchild showed us how its done today :eek:
    They watch everything. Opening a door at 2 and a half is easy.
    All I can say is thank god the little fella is ok :)

Qx - Are you smarter than a 2 yr old:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭CaraMay

I'm not going to judge as I have a very active 2 year old but I am surprised there is no stair gate up. It would be very easy for a sleepy two year old to go head first down the stairs never mind walk out the door.

As for the guy who met him- fair play to him.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Seems the door was closed, and could not be opened from outside. Hadn't locked the inside however (not intentionally I would think, just forgotten) and so the kid was able to open the door from the inside.

As for the people who think that she should be investigated or punished somehow for this, I'm sure no one is being as hard on herself as she is right now. She knows how lucky she was to get the wee man back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

The guy did the right thing and he deserves his dues.

If I see a kid who is seemingly on their own (usually they've just ran ahead of their parents), I stall it just to see if the parents are about and I believe most people would keep a little eye out just to check.

• Advertisement
Advertisement