Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nothing to Declare

Options
  • 01-02-2014 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭

Was just watching nothing to declare and I thought to myself, why do people consent to being filmed on this programme and programmes like it?

The people who get caught, are searched etc

What is in it for them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Brian2011 wrote: »
    Was just watching nothing to declare and I thought to myself, why do people consent to being filmed on this programme and programmes like it?

The people who get caught, are searched etc

What is in it for them?

look at me on the telly !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭athlonelad

Ted_YNWA wrote: »

There is an optional line to go through if you don't want to be filmed when you land in Sydney anyways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

If it's filmed in a public place there's nothing they can do about it, as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Brian2011

Ted_YNWA wrote: »

Yeah but why would you want the whole world to know you've been caught importing drugs, kicked out the country etc.

They must get paid or something, why else would you do it in fairness

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Yeah but why would you want the whole world to know you've been caught importing drugs, kicked out the country etc.

They must get paid or something, why else would you do it in fairness

From the limited shows I've seen, they either do not have a good grasp of English or would not get into Mensa.

• Advertisement

If it's filmed in a public place there's nothing they can do about it, as far as I know.

Is that some kind of law, surely they can say "No I don't wish to be filmed"
    to the tv crew filming them

There are signs in the airport. If you do not wished to be filmed for the TV show use this line etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

I've often wondered about this and the only reason I can think of is that they have never seen the programme. Maybe they think that allowing themselves to be filmed makes them look innocent. They probably hope that the custom officers won't be as thorough, assuming that a passenger carrying contraband would immediately tell the TV crew to bog off.

I've often wondered about this and the only reason I can think of is that they have never seen the programme. Maybe they think that allowing themselves to be filmed makes them look innocent. They probably hope that the custom officers won't be as thorough, assuming that a passenger carrying contraband would immediately tell the TV crew to bog off.

But I've seen a good few people filmed on the show that have been caught for drugs and sent to jail.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

These shows are great for showing you how to smuggle drugs

• Advertisement

But I've seen a good few people filmed on the show that have been caught for drugs and sent to jail.
    If I had a kilo of contraband up my arse the last thing I'd want to do is make a big deal about being filmed and draw attention to myself

Spunge wrote: »
    These shows are great for showing you how to smuggle drugs

Yeah, not the question I asked but anyway :)

athlonelad wrote: »
    If I had a kilo of contraband up my arse the last thing I'd want to do is make a big deal about being filmed and draw attention to myself

Well I don't know about that, now the whole world knows that :)

I said that they hadn't seen the show and hoped that allowing themselves to be filmed made them look innocent so the custome officers wouldnlt be as thorough with them.

Another poster did day that they have signs pointing out which lines are filmed, I didnlt see that before I started typing my post. So, they didn't see/understand the signs or their idiots.

Ok I'm happy enough that I know now, Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭bockeys jollocks

This show is very annoying at times, sometimes they rip some poor feckers luggage apart and find nothing. Then the poor guy walks away with his head down with the lid of his shredded suitcase and underpants trailing behind him.

For some reason that drug detector ALWAYS find heroin in every suitcase, weather it's there or not.

Then after the cops say something like

" yeah we can never be too carful, we probably shudda put it on the barbie just too make sure there was no fosters in there either"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

I will never get tired of watching cranky old Chinese woman refusing to pay fines for having a suitcase full of dried mushrooms.

This show is very annoying at times, sometimes they rip some poor feckers luggage apart and find nothing. Then the poor guy walks away with his head down with the lid of his shredded suitcase and underpants trailing behind him.

For some reason that drug detector ALWAYS find heroin in every suitcase, weather it's there or not.

Then after the cops say something like

" yeah we can never be too carful, we probably shudda put it on the barbie just too make sure there was no fosters in there either"
    The drug traces that frequently show up on bags could easily have come from baggage handlers. I wonder are they regularly checked?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭playedalive

I'd say it's the airport that earns money from the show especially if they have signs in the airport indicating that the show is being recorded.

I used to like watching it but it has got very repetitive and it has kind of turned me off going to Australia. Like I understand that their eco system is very sensitive and they need to control, but they give on the spot fines for carrying airplane food and not filling out the document properly for that one little inconsciency. A bit OTT, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

The Canadian version is better, it's great to see them turning mouthy yanks back over the border.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

Laws are different in Oz. If you get caught in a airport over there there's a law saying you must contribute to Australian television.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

I wonder the same about Embarrassing Bodies, why do people show their hairy arses with their bunches if grapes hanging from then to all and sundry?! I just don't get it. I mean the very title of the show suggests that really this is the exact opposite of what you would do!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

I wonder the same about Embarrassing Bodies, why do people show their hairy arses with their bunches if grapes hanging from then to all and sundry?! I just don't get it. I mean the very title of the show suggests that really this is the exact opposite of what you would do!

Free access to private medical care I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 6,680 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

People who tick "No" to have they declared any food and look on with a stupid dumb expression on their face as their stash of vegetables, curry, lentils and fruit are exposed, bag by bag, and then they explain that its not "really" food. All such people need to be shot asap. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭FGR

Is someone having second thoughts about showing their hairyness to the Embarrassing Bodies crew? :pac:

It's a good show. I wonder whether it would even be possible to create an Irish version? RTE's best attempt was Customs which was a good show - but they seem to hesitate doing anything like Road Wars and decide on Traffic Blues instead..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

People who tick "No" to have they declared any food and look on with a stupid dumb expression on their face as their stash of vegetables, curry, lentils and fruit are exposed, bag by bag, and then they explain that its not "really" food.

I watch every now and then, and it fascinates me the sheer amount of food people are trying to bring in, while pretending not to :D.

Advertisement