Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Restaurant in Letterkenny?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

jenbecca wrote: »
    I will argue with you as I have been to both several and I admit money tree is lovely and food is good but service has lacked a good few times. So for over all it has to be Tin tai and believe me I love my chinese food so I go to all but I would give it a four out of 5

I'll admit the service could be better in the money tree not to mention the way they stand looking at you eating, but the food they come out with eases a lot of woes!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Aligator Farmer

Farls wrote: »
    .. not to mention the way they stand looking at you eating..

I get that in my local Chinese restaurant too, its wierd.
    I put it down to trying to sell more wine, as soon as the glass is anywhere near empty they're over filling it up, you lose track.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Was in Beetroot last night to see what all the fuss was about. I found it over priced and over rated.
    The starters were nice but why do people think they can charge almost €10 for a tiny plate of food.
    The main course was ok, pasta sauce was like water though.
    Desert was ok.
    The wine is ridiculously over priced as well but that is the same in most restaurants.
    I for one will be glad when this recession kicks in and these restaurants are forced to bring these prices down to a decent level, they have been ripping people off for years.
    A restaurant I worked in bought its house wine for €4 and sold it for €22.
    A chicken breast costs about €1, how can they justify selling it for €17, just because they add a little sauce.
    Dont get me started on steak, I just get cross. €33 for something I can get in Tesco's for €6, believe me it dosent cost €27 to cook a steak.
    The only way to stop this is for people to stop going to restaurants for a few months, teach these people a lesson that we are not willing to be taken for suckers anymore.

Agreed with 99% of your post, bar the steak. Was taking to a butcher that supplies a good few restaurants in LKY, a 10oz Fillet steak costs about €12 from this butcher, so taking VAT into selling price, i'd say €25-30 is about right. You can get a brilliant Fillet steak with a side order in the Brewery bar for €24.XX, which to me is a good price.
    Your right about the chicken, its less than 90c a chicken breast.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Was in Beetroot last night to see what all the fuss was about. I found it over priced and over rated.
    The starters were nice but why do people think they can charge almost €10 for a tiny plate of food.
    The main course was ok, pasta sauce was like water though.
    Desert was ok.
    The wine is ridiculously over priced as well but that is the same in most restaurants.
    I for one will be glad when this recession kicks in and these restaurants are forced to bring these prices down to a decent level, they have been ripping people off for years.
    A restaurant I worked in bought its house wine for €4 and sold it for €22.
    A chicken breast costs about €1, how can they justify selling it for €17, just because they add a little sauce.
    Dont get me started on steak, I just get cross. €33 for something I can get in Tesco's for €6, believe me it dosent cost €27 to cook a steak.
    The only way to stop this is for people to stop going to restaurants for a few months, teach these people a lesson that we are not willing to be taken for suckers anymore.

My neighbours and aul pair have been to <SNIP> and will nevr go back.Ignorant owner,terrible service.The neighbour had a hair in her starter,sent ti back and the new one had a hair in it too.Manager dident say a thing!

Mod edit; For obvious reasons its best not to name any individual establishment if the comments are going to be less than complimentary.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

Everytime we're in Letterkenny for the rally in June, we've always eaten without fail in the restaurant in Arena 7. Top class service and the food is spot on as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭googlehead

ireland i find in general is terrible for service.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Senna wrote: »
    Agreed with 99% of your post, bar the steak. Was taking to a butcher that supplies a good few restaurants in LKY, a 10oz Fillet steak costs about €12 from this butcher, so taking VAT into selling price, i'd say €25-30 is about right. You can get a brilliant Fillet steak with a side order in the Brewery bar for €24.XX, which to me is a good price.
    Your right about the chicken, its less than 90c a chicken breast.

100% Mark Up would be tight enough. You'd have 2/3 chefs, 2/3 waitresses, management, Rent, Light & Heat, Rates etc to pay for.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

K-9 wrote: »
    100% Mark Up would be tight enough. You'd have 2/3 chefs, 2/3 waitresses, management, Rent, Light & Heat, Rates etc to pay for.

Agreed, normally food costs would be 30% of pre-tax price, but the price of beef is so high that most places will take more of a hit on beef and make up for it on chicken and other cheaper dishes.

I know of one place in letterkenny that serves a very popular dish for E9.50, but the raw food cost E6.50-7, but another item on the menu cost E12 and the raw food only cost E1.40.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭Pique

My neighbours and aul pair have been to <SNIP> and will nevr go back.Ignorant owner,terrible service.The neighbour had a hair in her starter,sent ti back and the new one had a hair in it too.Manager dident say a thing!
    Mod edit; For obvious reasons its best not to name any individual establishment if the comments are going to be less than complimentary.

Don't understand this Mod Edit. If it's a good review, then fine. But if someone has a genuine greivance then it's edited...why ? The 'Ignorant owner' bit maybe ?
    As for the rest of it, are Libel laws really that strong in Ireland ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭googlehead

Pique wrote: »
    Don't understand this Mod Edit. If it's a good review, then fine. But if someone has a genuine greivance then it's edited...why ? The 'Ignorant owner' bit maybe ?

yeah it seems free speech is not tolerated here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Pique wrote: »
    Anything that could lead to possible litigation against boards will be removed. We already have one on-going case.
    googlehead wrote: »
    yeah it seems free speech is not tolerated here.
    Now that you mention it, there is no such thing as free speech on here. This is a private site with its own rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,820 ✭✭✭✭muffler

What smashey said.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,820 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Im not sure if you will be able to read this. But if you can it will set you straight.

Now back on topic please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭peachesxcream

Arena 7 do the best chicken stirfry...!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭lovinit

Think the Oak tree is very good:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Anyone been to the Lemon Grass yet, new Indian restaurant next Grianan Theatre, been tempted to check it out over the past few days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Harps wrote: »
    Anyone been to the Lemon Grass yet, new Indian restaurant next Grianan Theatre, been tempted to check it out over the past few days

Tis very nice! they deliver too which is always a bonus (unlike Shaplah & D Chilli Shaker!)

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭rikerdonegal

Yellow Pepper - Hands down, the best spot in town. Best food and service. Always my first choice. Great friendly staff, too, so I always have a relaxed and fun night.

La Fantasia - Great spot. Been there a couple of times and will be going back. Loved it.

Pat's On The Square - One of those great places that keeps getting overlooked (I think).

Primavera - Haven't been there is ages, but I really like it. Remember it as being great value, too. And they have a place in Buncrana, too. Not been there in ages, either. But I did like it. Honest!!

Tin Tai - Great chinese.

Money Tree - Great chinese.

Lemon Tree - I have a friend who loves this place, so I tend to be there a lot. Food is fine, I suppose, but I don't think there's enough choice and the layout of the tables doesn't appeal to me at all. Find it impossible to relax in there, and can never find anything on the menu that I really want.

Oak Tree - It's fine. Handy for theatre. That's about it.

All in all, I think we are spoiled for choice in Letterkenny. I only ever had one truly bad experience. Many years ago, a group of us ate in in a place which is on longer to be found in town. One person's meal (a steak) didn't arrive with the others and we were told that a member of the kitchen staff had mistakenly eaten it! So, one of us was a hour later than the rest of us in getting his food. So we were very late leaving, and the staff were trying to clean up and leave and they were less than friendly about us sitting there chatting (while one person ate) in the middle of an otherwise empty place. Feeling self-conscious and uncomfortable, we complained to the manager about the the whole "a member of the kitchen staff had mistakenly eaten it" story. When the manager asked the waitress about this, she denied it had ever happened and the manager then accused us of being drunk (we weren't) and asked us to leave.:eek:

The place is long gone now... :D

Pat's On The Square - One of those great places that keeps getting overlooked (I think).
    I couldn't agree more. That is a great place.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭rikerdonegal

I'm guilty of over-looking it, too. :o It's off the radar, or something. Yet, when I do think of it, we totally love it. Great food and (I think) an amazing location/atmosphere.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Haha love that story :D

Couldnt make something like that up!

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭neighbours

I have to say try Infusion its down near the court house.Great food wonderful prices and the staff are fantastic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

Lovely plain food in Gleneany House but why has no one mentioned the Tassie, do folk not go anymore and have yis got too posh for the likes of Gallaghers? Where btw I had a excellent meal at Christmas time?

Madam wrote: »
    Lovely plain food in Gleneany House but why has no one mentioned the Tassie, do folk not go anymore and have yis got too posh for the likes of Gallaghers? Where btw I had a excellent meal at Christmas time?
    The Tassie probably does the best steak around. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

smashey wrote: »
    The Tassie probably does the best steak around. :)

Never been wile keen on the Tassie Myself,dunno why.

Advertisement