Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Spitting on the street

• 02-02-2008 8:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

Is it just me or does anyone else find it disgusting the way people (Sorry, MEN) spit all the time on the street? I cant walk through the street/pavements of the town where I live without having to avoid disgusting splats of phleghm coughed up and spat out every few yards. Its bad enough having to by-step the dog poo and the vomit around pubs but surely people dont have to spit all the time? I mean.... what do women do with the secretions in their mouths????? :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭DemocAnarchis

I think we should just do away with men altogether, good for nothing layabouts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

hi molly sorry to hear about your "personal issue",not sure that there is a whole lot of advice i can offer you!

can you answer this

how long has it bothered you?,
    is it since childhood?
    would you consider seeing a shrink?
    do you know anyone else that is upset by this that you can confide in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭AngryBadger

Troll

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

i find it disgusting as well tbh. it isnt really a personal question though lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Molly007

OK! Point taken. Maybe I'm a bit of a crank!! Perhaps if I cant beat them I should join them?????....... Maybe this spitting could turn into a whole new outlet for me! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭SarahSassy

In my book, its not far off p'ing in the street. Nasty habit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Go travelling

Preferably to Singapore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

Is this what qualifies as a PI these days???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭Marksie

Use the report post function please.

Thius is not a pi

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Molly007 wrote: »
    what do women do with the secretions in their mouths????? :(

I take it you swallow?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

I just laughed out loud , +1 for Almighty Cushion's post.

Yea, - nice one Almighty, - I asked for that!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Is it just me or does anyone else find it disgusting the way people (Sorry, MEN) spit all the time on the street?

Interesting how you follow men around all day and witness this spitting on the street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Is it just me or does anyone else find it disgusting the way people (Sorry, MEN) spit all the time on the street?

No need to apologise love, as a MAN I take no offence to your question. Why feel the need to say sorry to just the men though?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Hanging's too good

Should be possible to prosecute them under the litter laws, though they'd have to pick it up and put it back where it came from first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 950 ✭✭✭EamonnKeane

Men produce more saliva than women. Also, i feel sick for about half an hour if i ever do swallow saliva, so why should i?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Bob in Belfast

It's a disgusting habit, i blame professional footballers their always at it,spitting every two minutes.:)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,353 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Visited Texas once. They have spitoons in many of their bars, where blokes take aim with tobacco spit and often miss, hitting the floor, walls, and sometimes a customer (YUK!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Overreact much?

It's not often I've found vomit or dog poo walking through Dublin City centre, wouldn't even notice spit but it's also not often I've seen someone spitting in public, so I guess you must just be hanging around an absolutely horrid part of the country?

Also, fwiw, the last time I saw someone spitting in a public place was a teenage girl.

Yea you're right rb, I dont think it is a problem in Dublin. I'm talking about a large provincial town. People dont tend to walk their dogs on the streets in dublin, but they do in the smaller towns, and maybe the street cleaning services are more frequent in Dublin too. Yes we do have vomit on the streets in my town, - on Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday mornings its in the alleyways and carparks and shop doorways particularly near the clubbing spots. And the smell of pee is noticable in those places as well. So throw in the spit on the footpaths and yea, it is pretty YUK at times. We see letters to our local newspaper from time to time from tourists who comment on it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

On purely medical grounds I'll add another two letters.

TB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

Nope it's just you, everybody else loves walking on other peoples spit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,647 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

First they can't smoke in bars, now they can't spit on the street. Won't somebody please think of the smokers??!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Spitting on the street...

Absolutely disgusting.

First thing which enter's my head when I see it "Fvcking scumbag".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭slipss

Yeah it's pretty sick alright. But then again if I have a lung infection when I'm out walking and my body decides to expel some flem there is not a chance in hell I'm swallowing that stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

mukki wrote: »
    hi molly sorry to hear about your "personal issue",not sure that there is a whole lot of advice i can offer you!

can you answer this

how long has it bothered you?,
    is it since childhood?
    would you consider seeing a shrink?
    do you know anyone else that is upset by this that you can confide in
    Typical fuken PI response. Get the fuk over it an move on. There are much bigger issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

slipss wrote: »
    Yeah it's pretty sick alright. But then again if I have a lung infection when I'm out walking and my body decides to expel some flem there is not a chance in hell I'm swallowing that stuff.

Why not, I love the way phlegm fells sliding down my throat. What's it gonna do to you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

dSTAR wrote: »
    Typical fuken PI response. Get the fuk over it an move on. There are much bigger issues.

:rolleyes:
    He was taking the piss.

You might want to take your gullability problem into PI :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    Interesting how you follow men around all day and witness this spitting on the street.

Not all day. The other 2/3 of her day is spent following people who puke and dogs who shit. How do you find time for work/college?

• Advertisement

Mairt wrote: »
    Spitting on the street...

Absolutely disgusting.

First thing which enter's my head when I see it "Fvcking scumbag".
    not always but there is a 99% correlation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Niamho!

Is it just me or does anyone else find it disgusting the way people (Sorry, MEN) spit all the time on the street? I cant walk through the street/pavements of the town where I live without having to avoid disgusting splats of phleghm coughed up and spat out every few yards. Its bad enough having to by-step the dog poo and the vomit around pubs but surely people dont have to spit all the time? I mean.... what do women do with the secretions in their mouths????? :(

Rotten!! I try my best to let them see me looking at them with a look of Sheer disgust!
    on the way out of Blanch today and some Little Scang bag in front of me was hocking from the back of his nose.....ugh!!
    I see it alot when im out walking in the evenings. Its Horrible!! :mad:

It could be worse.

I'd much prefer people to spit on the ground than spit at me.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭JoeSchmoe

Don't ever go to China

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

I spit, fart, scratch my balls and snore...and you know what : I LOVE IT:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭The Chessplayer

The Chessplayer was chastised only yesterday by a female companion for absentmindedly spitting in the street. Must be an old habit from my smoking days - I remember spending alot of time standing around smoking and spitting when I was a teenager. Admittedly, there's nothing more disgusting than an almighty chest-clearing hogger, but I have no beef with a harmless spit. Women do, though, generally find it fairly repugnant so i certainly wouldn't go spitting on the ground in polite company.

• Advertisement

Niamho! wrote: »
    Rotten!! I try my best to let them see me looking at them with a look of Sheer disgust!
    on the way out of Blanch today and some Little Scang bag in front of me was hocking from the back of his nose.....ugh!!
    I see it alot when im out walking in the evenings. Its Horrible!! :mad:

They probably do that stuff at the dinner table in Blanchardstown.

The Chessplayer was chastised only yesterday by a female companion for absentmindedly spitting in the street. Must be an old habit from my smoking days - I remember spending alot of time standing around smoking and spitting when I was a teenager. Admittedly, there's nothing more disgusting than an almighty chest-clearing hogger, but I have no beef with a harmless spit. Women do, though, generally find it fairly repugnant so i certainly wouldn't go spitting on the ground in polite company.

:rolleyes: Not another Pighead wannabe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Irishpimpdude

jimbo78 wrote: »

Exactly what i was thinking ;) I spit in peoples faces when they say hello to me, its my special way of greeting them, and if its not a big green one im not satisfied with the greeting so i have another go, so girls are actually really into it :D but the fellas not so much... :(

jimbo78 wrote: »

I just read some of this lad's posts to check the reference. He's got that whole "i wear a pink t-shirt" thing going on. Sat-nav in his car etc. Polar opposites I would say.

I just read some of this lad's posts to check the reference. He's got that whole "i wear a pink t-shirt" thing going on. Sat-nav in his car etc. Polar opposites I would say.

NO, no, no, no.
    Pighead always speaks in the third person. Jimbo78 thinks you need to concentrate harder

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

What i would like to know is what is it that produces the phlegm in the first place ? Is it polution in the air /the food we eat drink ?

Dunno. I always thought phlegm was produced by infection. - To judge by the pavements there must be a lot of sick people out there!!!:eek:

What's wrong with having 'sat-nav' in your car?
    Although i do agree about the pink t-shirts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

This is all teh Islamz fault.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

If I get phlegm, I spit. I'll usually aim at a drain or the side of the road but I'm not bloody swallowing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭MajorMax

I agree it is a disgusting habit, it was frowned upon during the 50's as it was seen as a contributry factor in the spread of TB, I can't help feeling that as drug resistant strains of TB are common now, it is only a matter of time before it becomes an issue again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Dinter

Carry a bit of tissue with you if you're the sort who gobs all over the place.

It's scumbags spitting that really bothers me. Can't say I've ever seen someone in a suit hawking his lungs out.

There's lots of people who don't spit so I hardly think it counts as an emergency.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭FunkyChicken

I do this occasionally. I always feel like a knacker doing it but sometimes it's very necessary. Like when you're having a smoke and have a cold or something and you cough and get a massive clump of it. Pretty simple decision on what to do now. It's awful though when it's really bad, you cough and it comes out by its own accord. It's happened to me on two seperate occasions in crowded places. Not cool :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Ninja_scrotum

It's usually smokers who hock up and spit out the browney green stuff innit?

I should know, I smoke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Scumbags spit. Enough said.

• Advertisement
Advertisement