Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where do you live - Reviews! (All Accommodation Qs go here!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 donallmac17

Right so i wasnt sure whether i was going to repeat the leaving cert or take my course in UL till now and have no accomodation, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Beargrylls01

Right so i wasnt sure whether i was going to repeat the leaving cert or take my course in UL till now and have no accomodation, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Donal, one of our housemates dropped out, you can have our spare room if you like. 260 a month internet and bins included I think, have really no idea of what the house is like, probably not fantastic as it's elm park but it's probably an option

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Ross1986

Hi guys,

If any one has a room available in their house and are looking for another person, can you let me know :)

Thanks

Donal, one of our housemates dropped out, you can have our spare room if you like. 260 a month internet and bins included I think, have really no idea of what the house is like, probably not fantastic as it's elm park but it's probably an option

I heard bad reviews about elm park if i'm honest, if i dont get anything by tomorrow ill more than likely take it though cheers

Anyone know if there is any rooms left in troy,groody,parkview or brookfield ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 ToxicB

Anyone know if there is any rooms left in troy,groody,parkview or brookfield ?

Troy, Groody already fully booked.
    Parkview unknown, it is to far from the university.
    Try to ask Brookfield may be.

I'll take you up on that offer! nothing going in the off campus places, what year are the others in the house in?

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Beargrylls01

I'll take you up on that offer! nothing going in the off campus places, what year are the others in the house in?

We are all 4th years, think the room was taken by a different first year though I'll know more later I suppose!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Aragneer

To everyone living on campus, how long does it usually take for maintenance to come?

If you haven't seen in the bitch thread, my house have complained 2-3 times about lack of hot water and no working shower or water upstairs and our first report went in when we moved in on Sunday...

Complaining again today but how long till they actually come...?! So annoying >:(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Aragneer wrote: »
    To everyone living on campus, how long does it usually take for maintenance to come?

If you haven't seen in the bitch thread, my house have complained 2-3 times about lack of hot water and no working shower or water upstairs and our first report went in when we moved in on Sunday...

Complaining again today but how long till they actually come...?! So annoying >:(

They usually came within a few hours anytime I asked for something. Although as its the start of term I imagine they will have loads of problems to deal with so might be a while longer

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Yeah, I've always found them to be really fast, like they'll usually be over the same day you ask them for something.

Either they're just up the walls with stuff (which is a bit stupid given they had all summer to fix stuff...) or they called out, saw what was wrong and need parts to fix it (we'd to get a new boiler once and that took a few days).

I've been home since the complaints or someone else has always been home and I know other places in Plassey who had the same problem and they got it fixed in the same day so hopefully another complaint will mean they come today! I can't do with this 8 people sharing a bathroom... Haha.

Thanks guys :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

account120 wrote: »
    I live in kilmurray and I hate it. I cant sleep because I live with a crowd of alcoholics who like to stay up and keep everyone awake until 4 am. Can I move into somewhere else? I'm a first year by the way and want to be with other first years. I am considering dropping out already because I cannot cope with this. Please help

Try digs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭onethreefive

account120 wrote: »
    I live in kilmurray and I hate it. I cant sleep because I live with a crowd of alcoholics who like to stay up and keep everyone awake until 4 am. Can I move into somewhere else? I'm a first year by the way and want to be with other first years. I am considering dropping out already because I cannot cope with this. Please help

Maybe the accommodation office will be able to move you to a different house or different village?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

@account120: Speak with the village manager. If it's as bad as you say, then you can speak with them and they'll try and sort you out. (I know a few people who've done this and been moved to different apartments).

However, I would say don't be hasty. It's Freshers week. Chances are if you're living with first years it's going to be a bit rowdy. You'd be surprised how things settle down once lectures and labs start properly.

Originally Posted by account120

This is a pretty bad situation and I have suffered a year of it before. There are a few things you can do because, seriously, you don't want people making you want to drop out of classes when college hasn't even started. I'm assuming you've been in Kilmurray for either a week or a few days so classes definitely haven't started so to be thinking of dropping out already is terrible..

These are my suggestions, some are terrible but others may help.

1. Try to get through freshers week to see what it is like after classes start, it would be tough and horrible but maybe attempt?
    2. Tell reception to speak with the house.
    3. Tell reception all about the problems and how severe it is (with you thinking of leaving) and they should be able to move you to a different house or swap you with somebody.
    4. If reception don't do anything, get your parents to call reception.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭VanishingActs

As someone who suffered through a year of that, don't stay quiet! Go to reception right this minute and tell them what's going on and how hard you're finding it. Get your name down to transfer as soon as possible. The longer you leave it the less likely they'll be able to sort it out easily. Really hope you get it sorted soon, the start of college shouldn't be this awful. Chin up :)

Likely a troll

Double room available less than 5mins from UL.

There is a double room available in 4 bed house sharing with 3 others (2 females and 1 male).
    Situated in a quiet cul-de-sac. Close to amenities. Rent incredibly affordable with refuse charges included.
    Free parking, UPC (TV, Broadband and phone) free for next 6 months.

Ideal for a postgraduate student or professional.

Available immediately.

Please contact Valerie.Power@ul.ie for further information.

Hello

Please see ad for x2 double rooms available in lovely accommodation near UL.

Contact 085-7056120 or celine.ryan@hotmail.com for more information.

DAFT LINK: https://www.daft.ie/sharing/commons-road-ballysimon-limerick/786362/

Thank you.

• Advertisement

For people living on campus:

For the downstairs shower: Do you need to turn on the immersion AND the heating for the water to heat up? Or is that just in our house...Sick of the house becoming a sauna the moment anyone needs a shower!

For people living on campus:

For the downstairs shower: Do you need to turn on the immersion AND the heating for the water to heat up? Or is that just in our house...Sick of the house becoming a sauna the moment anyone needs a shower!

Heating the house is by electricity?

I'm sure you can just need to turn on the immersion without turning on the heating.

Where I'm staying we heat the water using the gas boiler. There is a valve in the hot press that turns off the water from going around the house to the rads as its not needed these days, thank God. Valve will be open during winter months.

Village manager should be able to explain the workings :)

Recently renovated and decorated furnished 3 bedroomed townhouse in excellent condition throughout. Living room, kitchen, dining room with patio door out to rear deck and garden area. 3 double bedrooms, main bathroom and downstairs wet room. GFCH. Located in the city centre within walking distance to all amenities and overlooking the People’s Park to the rear. Rent €780 per month. Photo’s available on request.

For further details and appointment to view contact Katherine on 4654 or respond to this email.

Katherine.Martin@ul.ie

3 bedroomed terrace house for rent on Mulgrave Street - 5 minute drive to University, 10 minute walk to city centre.

Contact Noel at ext 3326.

Noel.McCarthy@ul.ie

How much gets deducted from your returned deposit from Plassey/other villages if you smash glasses or the casserole dish?

Four of our glasses have smashed after simply holding them (weak glass...urgh) and I put the casserole dish in the oven today only to have it suddenly 'BANG' and crack down the middle...

Can we go in and ask for replacements or will we get charged?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

How much gets deducted from your returned deposit from Plassey/other villages if you smash glasses or the casserole dish?

Four of our glasses have smashed after simply holding them (weak glass...urgh) and I put the casserole dish in the oven today only to have it suddenly 'BANG' and crack down the middle...

Can we go in and ask for replacements or will we get charged?

You can try to replace it yourself and it'll be cheaper to replace it yourself than having the staff charge you to replace it.

Although in your case, you can ask the staff about those and they probably replace it for free?

jamo2oo9 wrote: »
    You can try to replace it yourself and it'll be cheaper to replace it yourself than having the staff charge you to replace it.

Although in your case, you can ask the staff about those and they probably replace it for free?

I don't think they would replace it for free, you know what campus services are like, they take money from you for the tiniest spec of dirt...

I think 8 of us pitching in will only cost 50c so now to find a place to find the little dish..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

I don't think they would replace it for free, you know what campus services are like, they take money from you for the tiniest spec of dirt...

I think 8 of us pitching in will only cost 50c so now to find a place to find the little dish..

Surely if the glasses are weak, they'll have to replace it for free since it's faulty and not really your fault. I know they will rip you off massively for something so simple but it's worth asking really.

Will the reception be open tomorrow? If so, is it full day or from 6:30 onwards?

jamo2oo9 wrote: »
    Surely if the glasses are weak, they'll have to replace it for free since it's faulty and not really your fault. I know they will rip you off massively for something so simple but it's worth asking really.

Will the reception be open tomorrow? If so, is it full day or from 6:30 onwards?

That's true. I'll chat to the girls and see what everyone votes on :) They buy such cheap kitchen stock that it is useless!

I think it'll be open only 6:30 onwards, not sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

I think, and don't quote me on this, that you have to replace everything with the same stuff they proved, so random glasses from Stables won't cut it.

Advertisement