Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General prices for this wireless alarm system

Options
  • 03-09-2014 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭

We're having a wireless system installed by a company and I've got prices for the following:

9 No Window / Door contacts
    2 No Beams.
    1 No Wireless External Sounder.
    1 No Internal Sounder.
    1 No Single/Integrated Wireless Control Panel with Keypad.
    2 No Fobs.

We're not going with the cheaper Visonic system because it's Israeli; HKC seems like the other option.

For this, the lowest price I've got is €1,150 incl. VAT. (€300 more than Visonic.)

Is this a good price?

I'm also a bit confused about the control panel features. I'd prefer the integrated Quantum panel. It mentions on-board communication, but I'm not clear what this means - can I interact with the panel over SMS/via smartphone/internet? Or do I need to buy some extra thing for that?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,651 ✭✭✭✭altor

sarkozy wrote: »
    We're having a wireless system installed by a company and I've got prices for the following:

9 No Window / Door contacts
    2 No Beams.
    1 No Wireless External Sounder.
    1 No Internal Sounder.
    1 No Single/Integrated Wireless Control Panel with Keypad.
    2 No Fobs.

We're not going with the cheaper Visonic system because it's Israeli; HKC seems like the other option.

For this, the lowest price I've got is €1,150 incl. VAT. (€300 more than Visonic.)

Is this a good price?

I'm also a bit confused about the control panel features. I'd prefer the integrated Quantum panel. It mentions on-board communication, but I'm not clear what this means - can I interact with the panel over SMS/via smartphone/internet? Or do I need to buy some extra thing for that?

Visonic would be a cheaper option. Do you know which one?
    Re the contact for the windows/doors on the HKC, is that all he want to put on the windows, or are they inertia/contacts?
    Same with the visonic?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭sarkozy

They're all contact. Not inertia. He said they drain battery life.

They're all contact. Not inertia. He said they drain battery life.

I would not recommend having just contacts on your windows. If an intruder takes out the glass, cuts out the glass or smashes the window to gain entry without opening the window then the sensor will not activate. Pirs would more than likely be off at night to give you access around your home. Battery life on a shock sensor would be the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Seq uence

I agree with Altor here. The guy telling you sensors use more battery life appears to be not too well up on the systems he is selling. He may also be looking to reduce the equipment costs by just using contacts.I would take to some more installers before parting with your hard earned money if I were you. An alarm that only activates after someone has gained entry is not good enough if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭John Kelly of

The panel comes with a built in digi dialler which will work with an active landline and depending on the service provider can send texts and or voice messages to whatever numbers you like.
    If you don't have a landline then you could opt for a gsm-q dialler but this will cost extra and requires a sim card. The gsm will allow you to arm/disarm system.
    The guy who told you the shocks drain the batteries is either a liar or doesn't know what he is talking about so don't hire him.
    The price is a little high and you should get all shock with contacts for that price.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the advice. Please feel free to PM me alarm installer recommendations. This is, in fact, the cheapest price I've got to date. Budget may be an issue, so we're still, if necessary, considering the Visonic system. I've read up on both, and can only assume they are more or less comparable.

Thanks for the advice. Please feel free to PM me alarm installer recommendations. This is, in fact, the cheapest price I've got to date. Budget may be an issue, so we're still, if necessary, considering the Visonic system. I've read up on both, and can only assume they are more or less comparable.

Also just to be aware of the Visonic shock sensors, they do not provide a pulse detection, just a gross attack.

Explained more here.

I forgot about this nuance, alright. Thanks for reminding me. Our house is in a closely-knit neighbourhood and quite overlooked, which might mean that either no one would tamper with or smash the windows at all, or that it might mean serious robbers would be much more inclined to take the silent route through our toughened, double-glazed ground floor windows.

I forgot about this nuance, alright. Thanks for reminding me. Our house is in a closely-knit neighbourhood and quite overlooked, which might mean that either no one would tamper with or smash the windows at all, or that it might mean serious robbers would be much more inclined to take the silent route through our toughened, double-glazed ground floor windows.

Taking out a glazed unit is a lot easier than most people think, especially if the window is glazed from the outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Lyncher2014

Ask for the external siren to be wired because the battery will be dead in no time if it's wireless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Evolution1

You'll get 3 years battery life with HKCs wireless bell if the person fitting it knows how to properly install them.

Ask for the external siren to be wired because the battery will be dead in no time if it's wireless.

Do Visonic not claim the battery life of the external bell is 8 years in the power master systems?

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Lyncher2014

It's 3 year recommendation for the batteries to be replaced. Lowering the siren volume and slowing the speed in the LED's flash will increase battery life, but factor in alarm activation's and the battery will have a lower life span. No one wants a quiet alarm either, so volume would be left at high

If installed properly, 12vdc would have been given in the first place. Even if its just a local power supply kept up in the attic.

Visonic do claim typical 8 years battery life but again that's hope that there's no alarm activation's.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Seq uence

Unless it is insisted on by the client I would always be using a wired external bell.
    Much more reliable and far less hassle.

I've one going on its third year with the extra battery pack. Plenty of false short activations due to user error.
    LEDs set to alt.
    Siren volume -high.
    Siren time 5mins.
    Strobe time 5mins.
    Poll with panel every 20 seconds.
    Jam detect on.

It'll be good to see when it reports a low batt.

How much does it cost to replace the batteries? It may be a hassle, but I don't mind replacing batteries every three years, I suppose.

In any case, we're looking at a wireless system.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭John Kelly of

They cost about 3 euro each but if you get a wireless external siren with double battery pack that means 12 batteries in there plus you have to get up a ladder.

Pick them up in bulk packs on ebay ..much cheaper. Tesco charges €15 for 2 batteries so shop around .

It's possible the external alarm could have an electrical cord pulled up under the eves and connected to some form of power in the attic as there is power up there. Not sure about the bell's power being exposed to tampering, though! Unless it also has a backup battery that sounds in the instance of it being tampered with?

It's possible the external alarm could have an electrical cord pulled up under the eves and connected to some form of power in the attic as there is power up there. Not sure about the bell's power being exposed to tampering, though! Unless it also has a backup battery that sounds in the instance of it being tampered with?

Yes, that would be correct. If you do connect a separate power supply then fitting a back up battery to the external bell is a must.

• Advertisement
Advertisement