Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any garda checkpoints out today?

Options

Comments

Sounds like they intend to "make an example" of a few that are still driving alone, what are the chances of the case being persued to the end.

If you're lucky it may just be dropped to save the courts workload, as the main objective is to "educate" drivers that the loophole is shut!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

teresa2008 wrote: »
    I need to drive from galway to dublin for the august bank holiday, do u think there might be checkpoints set up? i took down my l plates and im just chancing my arm, i still cant believe my tester called iun sick and there was no one to cover him, unreal!!!!!! how they expect to get thru that back log is beyond me

tbh i were you i'd take the train or bus. extra checkpoints will be on and we will looking for everything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭The Artist

channaigh wrote: »
    Yea she did i work with her she's in a state now. said the cop just keptn telling its the law and kept her on the side of road for 15 20 mintues.
    The law is the learner driver must be accompanied by a full licenced driver.
    Whether you have test comming up or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

The Artist wrote: »
    The law is the learner driver must be accompanied by a full licenced driver.
    Whether you have test comming up or not.

That is true. But it has been strongly hinted at that if you have a test upcoming in a few weeks a blind eye will be turned to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭snowy2008

are you a garda by any chance? im just really uptight about the whole thing coz im in sales and my boss has strongly hinted if i dont get the test soon, i can look elsewhere for work, seriously thinking of going to lanzarote and working in a bar, irelands going so downhill :(

• Advertisement

I'm not a guard. I'm far too intelligent for that. ;)

I don't like bacon and cabbage either.

If you have L plates up, a test letter and it gets sent to court. I honestly think the majority of such cases will be struck out (for the next few months anyway)

300,000 provisional drivers on the road...probably 100,000 of these are waiting for a test. The already struggling court system would go into melt down if all these cases ended up there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭snowy2008

this whole thing sucks, could be a blessing you know, the most exercise i get is walking to work, kick start the bikini diet, haha

Yea it sucks alright. I'm lucky that I can walk to work so I only use my car at weekends.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

teresa2008 wrote: »
    sorry i menat definatly have plates up and letter? i called the cops earlier and they said it would be ok, how did she get caught?

Regardless of whether one cop said it would be ok, or not- the simple fact is that its against the law. While you might get away with it from one cop- another is just as likely to throw the book at you. Do not assume that just because one cop said "a, shure, it'll be ok" that this lax attitude will be replicated across the board. Its EUR1000 fine for driving unaccompanied, and if you aren't displaying L Plates, another EUR1000.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭techdiver

Yea she did i work with her she's in a state now. said the cop just keptn telling its the law and kept her on the side of road for 15 20 mintues.

It's a load of balls. The statement was that there would be a sensible and proportionate enforcement of the new laws.

This doesn't sound like that to me! Another gobs***te cop flexing his power trip muscles!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

warning

providing a letter and saying you are going to work may get you off handy if you are lucky
    but

this weekend if your not working don't drive

Tigger wrote: »
    warning

providing a letter and saying you are going to work may get you off handy if you are lucky
    but

this weekend if your not working don't drive

Or just don't drive this evening and wait untill tomorrow morning. As they'll be out in force this evening but not in the morning as there is rain forecasted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭bigpinkelephant

SheroN wrote: »
    It's not an on the spot fine. Did she have L plates up? Did she have a letter for a test?
    yea l plates up and letter with her they didn't care
    `

The law states that the accompanier must be a fully licensed driver with a full license of 2+years, not a letter. I don't see how people think that having a letter in the car means they should get away with driving alone.

You've APPLIED for your test. You have to actually PASS it before you can drive on your own. Half the problem that caused all this is that in order to get another provisional all you had to do was apply for your test. People applied and then didn't show up or failed- hey presto, you had APPLIED so here is another license for another year. If people are let away with driving alone just because they have a letter then nothing will change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭DjDangerousDave

my friend got caught last night. Was told she was going to get a summonds to appear in court. I thought you just got a fine there and then? How long will they keep this up for is the question

About time I say. Maybe this will scare all the other permit holders off the road unless they have a qualified driver with them.

`

The law states that the accompanier must be a fully licensed driver with a full license of 2+years, not a letter. I don't see how people think that having a letter in the car means they should get away with driving alone.

You've APPLIED for your test. You have to actually PASS it before you can drive on your own. Half the problem that caused all this is that in order to get another provisional all you had to do was apply for your test. People applied and then didn't show up or failed- hey presto, you had APPLIED so here is another license for another year. If people are let away with driving alone just because they have a letter then nothing will change.

Have you read the papers over the last few days? The guards and RSA have pretty much said it won't be a zero tolerance approach. They've done nothing but cause confusion about how the law will be enforced.

`

Untill they have waiting times down to a week or two there should be some good will shown. There is still people waiting 10+ weeks.

The common sense answer to this would have been to state that all new "learner permits (second provisional)" issued after a certain date would prohibit unaccompanied driving - bringing them in line with the other provisional licenses.

The original 2nd provisionals would then "age out", at which point no one should be driving unaccompanied as having the full duration of two provisional licenses to pass their tests in.

But where is common sense

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Or just don't drive this evening and wait untill tomorrow morning. As they'll be out in force this evening but not in the morning as there is rain forecasted.

yes rain is handy

lol

The common sense answer to this would have been to state that all new "learner permits (second provisional)" issued after a certain date would prohibit unaccompanied driving - bringing them in line with the other provisional licenses.

The original 2nd provisionals would then "age out", at which point no one should be driving unaccompanied as having the full duration of two provisional licenses to pass their tests in.

But where is common sense

I disagree- after 2 years, or however long- we'd be back in the same situation yet again- with people calling for an amnesty for people who held the old provisional licences, but a crackdown on the new learners permits......

It really is high time that we actually enforced the rules of the road here. Ourselves, the Italians and the Portuguese are the laughing stock of the rest of the continent.

The only reason we're actually getting rid of the provisional licences at all, is because the EU are forcing us to.

smccarrick wrote: »
    I disagree- after 2 years, or however long- we'd be back in the same situation yet again- with people calling for an amnesty for people who held the old provisional licences, but a crackdown on the new learners permits......

No because it will be made known to all prov license holders that when this one (2nd prov) expires then no unaccompanied driving at all, all other prov license holders would be reminded that they can't drive unaccompanied.

This way there is no sharp cut off, just that enforecment will be easy after a certain date.

A bit like red number plates on cars.

• Advertisement

And how does that differ from the current situation- you are legally not entitled to drive alone, unless you have a full licence. You must be accompanied by a fully licenced driver of at least 2 years, if driving on a learners permit. Its there black and white- like the switch over from the number plates that you referred to. In addition- they also gave people an 8 month run-in period to get their houses in order. Simple as. If people decided to not do their test, or failed it- they should not be driving unaccompanied on the road. Its black and white.....

Ps- the second provisional opt out was the biggest joke ever. I've an aunt who was on her 11th provisional licence- she just couldn't have been bothered doing the test. When push came to a shove- she did it, and passed it on her second attempt.

People always assume that there will be "an understanding" that the law won't be enforced or that exceptions will be made. Why should there be? If you want to drive on the road- make sure you are competent to do so- and then, and only then, organise your test and hopefully pass it.

Fair enough, It's just that learners should have been better educated into knowing that the end was nigh earlier, to reduce the number of them being caught out at the last minute.

Fair enough, It's just that learners should have been better educated into knowing that the end was nigh earlier, to reduce the number of them being caught out at the last minute.

Well- it was only ever the second provisional license holders who were exempt from having a fully licensed driver with them- from memory this group were less than 18% of those on provisional licenses. Everyone else was breaking the law if they drove unaccompanied. The insurance companies are more to the blame than anyone else, by issuing public assurances that people were insured, irrespective of their license status, or whether they were driving accompanied or alone. They bear a lot of the blame. However at the end of the day almost 83% of provisional license holders were breaking the law, plain and simple. It was inevitable that it was going to catch up with them eventually......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

Have you read the papers over the last few days? The guards and RSA have pretty much said it won't be a zero tolerance approach. They've done nothing but cause confusion about how the law will be enforced.

I think it was made fairly clear by the gardai and the rsa. There will be no zero tolerance but if a learner/provisional driver is caught say speeding, dangerous driving or drink driving then they will be done for not having an unaccompanied driver with them.

Also those who do not display L plates will be frowned upon cos they are trying to be deceitful. Best to display and abide by the rules of the road until you get the test done which should be booked and passed in the very near future.
    cause confusion about how the law will be enforced.

If people tried their very best to comply with traffic laws they wont have to worry about we apply the law. Lets us worry about that

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Hang on, it's not like this was announced last week - in fairness, it's been in the media since the start of the year.

Do you not think that was enough notice?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

TheNog wrote: »
    Also those who do not display L plates will be frowned upon cos they are trying to be deceitful.

And rightfully so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

TheNog wrote: »
    Also those who do not display L plates will be frowned upon cos they are trying to be deceitful.

aye....you can break the law, but dont try to pull the wool over me eyes!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Sigh....When I read the title of the thread I was hoping that finally there might be some info on check-point locations or personal experiences regarding meeting the guards while unaccompanied. Alas, after skimming through 4-5 pages there was not one post relating to the thread title, just lots of waffle that has been posted in numerous threads already. No wonder a thread like this can't last longer than 20 posts in motors.
    Pity.

/End rant :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

I havnt taken my L-plates down and i'm waiting on my second test.I passed two cop cars and a motorbike guard doing a speed check under a bridge today and they didnt stop me or hassle me in any way.I honestly think they guards have enough to be doing without hassling learner drivers provided you dont come to thier attention in some stupid way.Obviously i dont want to tempt fate and i just want to get the test passed so i can stop driving on tenterhooks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭peachystarr

Keep your L plates up people because thats what you are Learners until you prove your compatancy to a tester you are not qualified to drive alone. Stop breaking the law, it will be enforced slowly and in a few years we will wonder how it was ever any other way. You wouldnt smoke in a pub now and look at all the talk people went on with when the ban came in saying it wouldnt work, well it has and perfectly.

Advertisement