Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

No lead in latest poll

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

They never gave people even one concrete reason why voting yes would benefit them personally.
    Probably because there is none. You cannot possibly assure a voter that approving an international treaty is going to improve their own life.

Can you offer a concrete reason for voting 'No' that would benefit me personally?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Gibbins123 wrote: »
    Isn't it ture that Libertas has US connections, and the US doesn't want the EU to become more powerful than it?

Forget Libertas. Do your own research. Make up your own mind. Don't let Libertas/the U.S. persuade you.
    You are refering to Gay Michael's comments?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Is this another threat?

"French Foreign Minister Bernard Kouchner has warned that Ireland would pay a high price if it rejects the Lisbon Treaty in the referendum this week."
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/0609/eulisbon.html?rss

Irish people don't like been bullied.:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

gurramok wrote: »
    Is this another threat?
    No, I don't think so:
    RT&#201 wrote: »
    Mr Kouchner, speaking on RTL radio, argued that the 'Irish would be penalising themselves' by rejecting the Lisbon Treaty on reforming EU institutions and linked its fate to that of Ireland's buoyant economy.
    So basically he's saying we'd be shooting ourselves in the foot and I would tend to agree. I fail to see how this could be construed as “threatening”.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 641 ✭✭✭johnnyq

gurramok wrote: »
    Is this another threat?

"French Foreign Minister Bernard Kouchner has warned that Ireland would pay a high price if it rejects the Lisbon Treaty in the referendum this week."
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/0609/eulisbon.html?rss

Irish people don't like been bullied.:mad:

/sigh.

The supposed 'reasons' to vote yes should speak for themselves rather than resorting to threats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭gordon_gekko

if i was to encapsulate the no voters attitude to europe in a song , it would be janet jacksons , what have you done for me lately

like the farmers , the only interest we had in europe was what we could get out of it

johnnyq wrote: »
    /sigh.

The supposed 'reasons' to vote yes should speak for themselves rather than resorting to threats.
    Would it make a difference if the 2nd officer who is a first cousin of the third emperor of swaziland said it?

It shouldn't for either.
    The French foreign minister is talking out of his arsé.
    He probably thinks that there will be a no vote here so he's talking up the response to his countries favour.

In actual fact he's probably hoping for a no vote to spite Ireland.
    What better way to help things along in that direction but to say something like this.

they're a new government over there see.
    And they are a right wing government so they are only jealous as to what we secured in the treaty.

Would it make a difference if the 2nd officer who is a first cousin of the third emperor of swaziland said it?

It shouldn't for either.
    The French foreign minister is talking out of his arsé.
    He probably thinks that there will be a no vote here so he's talking up the response to his countries favour.

In actual fact he's probably hoping for a no vote to spite Ireland.
    What better way to help things along in that direction but to say something like this.

they're a new government over there see.
    And they are a right wing government so they are only jealous as to what we secured in the treaty.
    I very very much doubt that he is hoping for a no vote in Ireland.

I very very much doubt that he is hoping for a no vote in Ireland.
    What makes you think that?
    He may dislike the fact that big countries don't get as much power as they could, and might like a renegotition.

What makes you think that?
    He may dislike the fact that big countries don't get as much power as they could, and might like a renegotition.
    So he is using reverse psychology you say? to risk upsetting his PM who will implement the changes if given the chance? Don't think so.

• Advertisement

So he is using reverse psychology you say? to risk upsetting his PM who will implement the changes if given the chance? Don't think so.
    You do realise that any renegotiation would have a greater chance of benefitting France as opposed to Ireland?

You do realise that any renegotiation would have a greater chance of benefitting France as opposed to Ireland?
    Feel free to adress my point about motive when you get the time

but about France benefiting at Ireland's expense. We would have to vote for this again not the french citizens, they have been sidetracked. I think you're argument should be that France could gain despite Ireland's gain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Duffman

This may well be the case.

Something the "better deal" crowd might consider is what happened when the French and Dutch voted no. The Constitutional Treaty, which was at least intelligible and explainable and drawn up after what was probably the most widespread consultation with ordinary citizens and interest groups ever, was shot down.

Now we have Lisbon which people whine about being impossible to understand. That's legal reality I'm afraid. The voters said they didn't want a constitution, so this is an amending treaty instead - it needs to be this complicated.

That worked out well for all concerned :rolleyes:

A rejection today will damage this country more than most people realise. Think very carefully about what you wish for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

If what we're discussing here are the recent remarks by the French Foreign Minister, any analysis that he might have wanted a particular reaction from Ireland rather needs to take into account the fact that the remarks were made in French, in France, to a minor French TV station.

This is similar to someone at RTE asking Dermot Ahern what he feels the outcome for Irish trade might be of the latest round of ASEAN talks - on TnaG. It is possible that our Foreign Minister might use that as a platform for bullying the ASEAN negotiators - but only in world where Michael O'Leary's fleet consists of porcine animals.

Fortunately, the keen-eyed boys of the British eurosceptic press picked up the potential "bullying" and fed it back into the Irish referendum. Cheers, Mr Murdoch - we'd never have known we were being bullied in a foreign language on a foreign TV station without you.

a little sarcastically,
    Scofflaw

Advertisement