Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things to do in Cala Bona, Majorca and buying Cigarettes out there

Options
  • 21-10-2014 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭

Headed to Majorca on Sunday for 8 days. Just wondering how many fags can be brought back and what are the prices out there this year? I've seen and heard different amounts varying from 800 to 4000 per suitcase. I'm told to buy the in the 'Tabac' shops around the resorts. I know my Dad and brother's girlfriend will want some back to name a few just so I want to be able to tell them the cost.

Myself, the girlfriend and the youngfella are heading over :D

Staying in Cala Bona. Hired a car so can get about easily.

Can anyone tell me what there is to do around there at this time of year ?

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

800 is the official limit and they're around the €40-45/200 mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭mcg1987

tricky D wrote: »
    800 is the official limit and they're around the €40-45/200 mark.

yeah that's around what I'd heard. but ye know was from guessers. cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭mcg1987

Just an update for anyone else who may have been interested in same questions:

Cigarettes:

Signs tell you that Officially you are allowed 800 fags and 1kg of tobacco per person to the UK or Ireland. There are however signs in the airport saying you can take more back "as long as you prove they are for personal use". No idea how that is possible but whatever. I asked at airport and the woman at till in duty free didn't even know.

Anyway we took back 800 John Player blue in the hold suitcase - €160 plus free 1/2 bottle of Smirnoff and 2 lighters
    In my hand luggage I had 600 Superkings (€49 each)
    In her hand luggage there was 200 silk cut (€49) and 10x 50g pouches of amber leaf (€84)

Not an eyelid was batted going through.

All cigarettes bought at Tabac shops in Cala Millor. They were all the same price everywhere except the JP blue which where generally €42.50 per carton compared with €40 I got them for.

At the airport herself bought another carton of Mayfair for €48.50 and a 1 litre bottle of Smirnoff Red for €11.48 :D in the duty free ! I didn't know you were allowed alcohol back too that was bought at the airport!!

hope this is useful!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

The fact that you had different brands could require some explaining if you were stopped by Revenue in Ireland. If you have the same brand then you could legitimately claim they were for personal use but different brands is a red flag to Customs and could have had them taken from you.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Forget what the Revenue 'say' you're entited to. For cigarettes the figure is 3,200 per person. This came up before at an Oireachtas Committee debate, once you're within the EU the limit isnt 200
    http://debates.oireachtas.ie/ACC/2010/03/11/printall.asp

• Advertisement
Advertisement