Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12 (End of March 2012 onwards)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

Leiva wrote: »
    Maybe one positive:
    If Martinez gets the job you can bet you will see a big promotion of players from the academy .

It could be part of the strategy from FSG as funds might be very limited.

If funds are that limited then there is no reason for them to think we should challenge for the top 4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,342 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

that kind of sh!t show why pool fans are so disliked, whoever comes in needs to be given full backing regardless who he is, do you lot not realise that kind f talk actually adds to the already pressure he is under.

i can't wait for the day when Ferguson goes and huge sections of your fanbase get píssed off when you get linked with names that don't have the CV to take up the reins.

and Liverpool aren't disliked because of the above, give over.

we're disliked because we were the biggest and most successful club in England...then fell, were knocked off, whatever...and the fanbase still demands certain standards from their club, and certain sections of rival fans can't handle it and would like us all to shut the fúck up and take whatever is coming to us...be it Hodgson, Martinez, Rodgers, or whatever.

Utd are disliked because they're successful, you should know. we're just later in the cycle because you've had an extended period of success. once Utd fall off their perch, you'll be in a similar situation as this, and you'll have fans telling you "this is why Utd are so disliked".

and round and round the muppetry will go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,714 ✭✭✭Cartman78

SlickRic wrote: »
    i can't wait for the day when Ferguson goes and huge sections of your fanbase get píssed off when you get linked with names that don't have the CV to take up the reins.

and Liverpool aren't disliked because of the above, give over.

we're disliked because we were the biggest and most successful club in England...then fell, were knocked off, whatever...and the fanbase still demands certain standards from their club, and certain sections of rival fans can't handle it and would like us all to shut the fúck up and take whatever is coming to us...be it Hodgson, Martinez, Rogers, or whatever.

Utd are disliked because they're successful, you should know. we're just later in the cycle because you've had an extended period of success. once Utd fall off their perch, you'll be in a similar situation as this, and you'll have fans telling you "this is why Utd are so disliked".

and round and round the muppetry will go.

Well said....I remember growing up thinking how unbelievable it was that ManU hadn't won the league in 27 year or whatever it was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Cartman78 wrote: »
    Well said....I remember growing up thinking how unbelievable it was that ManU hadn't won the league in 27 year or whatever it was.

You must be as old as me :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

One benefit of Martinez and a back three is seeing Carragher in said back three. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭wcarey1975

as many as 12 candidates to be interviewed for vacant LFC manager job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The biggest problem with the internet is that any idiot can and does post on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Brendan Rodgers!!! :rolleyes: Things are getting retarded!!

monkey9 wrote: »
    Brendan Rodgers!!! :rolleyes: Things are getting retarded!!

only now ??

my tolerance must be so much lower than yours ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,536 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Cartman78 wrote: »

Me too...I remember Utd fans reminiscing about their last league win and it was in grainy black and white!

If someone had told me in 1990 that 22 years later we'd still not won the league I would have laughed at them.

So despite the success Utd have had since, they above all people should realise how the wheels can come off and long barren spells can be forthcoming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,536 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

:o

Dodging a bullet or not, it's still a little embarrassing to think he turned down an approach from us. :pac:

Don't think so. Maybe he feels he's not ready himself for a big club at this stage of his career or he also feels some loyalty for Swansea for the chance they have given him

Think it's wrong to assume that he has snubbed LFC because of current position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭Ardent

So Brendan Rogers turns us down, doesn't even want to enter discussions. Unreal. I wonder why?

Melion wrote: »
    I'm on my phone so can someone do me a favour? Just for the people slating Martinez already. Throw up Shanklys management history before Liverpool please.

I've just seen it on twitter, it's not where you come from, it's where you go!

Means nothing these days!!! If you're going to compare then to now, well then it that case, Shankley would have been sacked by Liverpool!!!

Means nothing these days!!! If you're going to compare then to now, well then it that case, Shankley would have been sacked by Liverpool!!!

Point remains though, Shankly did f*ck all of note prior to joining Liverpool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Ardent wrote: »
    So Brendan Rogers turns us down, doesn't even want to enter discussions. Unreal. I wonder why?

Probably because he knows he won't get the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

wcarey1975 wrote: »
    as many as 12 candidates to be interviewed for vacant LFC manager job.

Is Steve Staunton one of them???

Im guessing replacing a club legend may have been somewhere in his thinking.

Brendan Rodgers is smart enough guy to know he is young and talented enough to wait and get Chelsea in four one year. Why risk it now?

I love the headlines today that Guardiola is top of Liverpool's list. Haha!! I'm sure he is. I'd also like to think that Messi is top of the player recruitment list this summer!!

Dickerty wrote: »
    Is Steve Staunton one of them???

Possibly mine is on tuesday at 4pm just before Martinez

• Advertisement

Probably because he knows he won't get the job.

Incredible lack of ambition if true. Maybe he wants to enhance his reputation further at Swansea before moving on to another job. Or there's another club already in for him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

My 8-game unbeaten start to the Summer season with Boardeaux sees me installed as 3rd favourite for the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Flavour of the month!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

mike65 wrote: »
    Brendan Rodgers is smart enough guy to know he is young and talented enough to wait and get Chelsea in four one year. Why risk it now?

I think you may very well be right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Des wrote: »
    My 8-game unbeaten start to the Summer season with Boardeaux sees me installed as 3rd favourite for the job.

Pfft...never mind that. How are you with the press!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Rogers has been asking the players to stay and develop further at Swansea before moving to a bigger club. He probably wants to do the same himself and realises the Liverpool job is a jump too far at the moment. If that's how he's thinking, fair play to the man and he has gone up hugely in my estimation.

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

So after saying the club would be taking it's time, considering all of it's options and getting advice from those in the know, it appears to be doing just that. Puts all of the knee-jerking from yesterday into perspective.

We should all know by now that Dave Whelan loves flapping his gums. Just because he couldn't wait to tell all and sundry that we'd approached Wigan to speak to Martinez doesn't mean he's the number one choice. The worst thing to come out of that approach might be years of Whelan patting himself on the back whenever he's got someone's ear for getting Martinez when he did. 'Liverpool wanted him, you know'. He's insufferable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Local_Chap

Incredible lack of ambition if true. Maybe he wants to enhance his reputation further at Swansea before moving on to another job. Or there's another club already in for him?

Did he not say after AVB was sacked that he was not ready to move to a big club yet and wanted to improve as a manager before doing so,or something among them lines!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,399 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

opr wrote: »
    Rogers has been asking the players to stay and develop further at Swansea before moving to a bigger club. He probably wants to do the same himself and realises the Liverpool job is a jump too far at the moment. If that's how he's thinking, fair play to the man and he has gone up hugely in my estimation.

Opr

I'd agree with this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

A few reasons probably. If he knows he is unlikely to get the job then turning down the interview will look good for him with the board and fans, wouldn't be at all surprised if he signs a new contract in a few weeks. Also probably better for his reputation if he hasn't been rejected already by another club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

We've just sacked the greatest living legend in the club's history for finishing 8th in his first full season. Any manager that comes in will be under a lot of scrutiny and will have a large, underwhelmed portion of the fanbase questioning him from day one and would be seriously in danger of being sacked unless he turns the club around in one season.

In short, it would be a bad career move if he couldn't be successful short-term. He turned Chelsea down recently for the same reason. Both very wise decisions. Fair play to him.

mormank wrote: »
    Just saw this post now so apologies if it has already been dealt with.
    As a member of this so called youger deluded generation I take offence to this post. Also I call bulls*** on it as the way I see it is the reverse. I see the younger generation as being the more realistic fans to be honest. Sure th 'older' fans are quick to moan and say how sh**e we are and how it used to be better during the glory days blah blah blah. It was better. Of course it was. You don't need to have been there to know that winnings titles year after year is better than finighing 8th or 9th. You don't need to have been there to see what a title winning team consists of and to know what we are lacking.

I'll ask you this. As a member of the younger generation how exactly do I become deluded having only witnessed the dross(in comparision to the glory years which I missed) of the last 20 years? Repeatedly watching us fail at almost every hurdle, having known no glory days how exactly do become deluded into thinking we are more than we are?? If anything my opinion on the club is not 'clouded' by delusions of grandeur and a sense of entitlement which alot of pool fans seem to have?

You might have missed out on THE glory years, but you haven't missed out on the glory years. You've seen us win European Cups, UEFA cups, FA Cups, League Cups etc. Since we last won the league, Liverpool have still been one of the most successful club around!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Alan Kayll ‏@alantkayll

**** off FSG!!! And **** you Paul Tomkins.

This Kayll guy was hired by NESN a while back to write articles about Liverpool. He actually did a really long interview with Comolli for them just before Comolli got the boot. Some thought he might have had FSG's ear from time to time. Looks like all is not rosy in the garden anymore.

Oh did I mention he doesn't like Rafa very much ;)

Opr

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Poll on Irishkop,64.04% want Rafa back,Villas Boas second with 16.85%.

To vote go here...

http://www.irishkop.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20901

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Weeeeeeeeeeeee!!

This is going to be the awesome fun part of Martinez / Rogers joining. Utd fans will be falling over themselves to tell us how 'ye have got your best manager in two decades', how 'Liverpool might be feared if Martinez is given time'. And when it isn't working out and it is actually clear that he is miles out of his depth, they'll accuse us of 'hounding him out' and condescendingly worry about 'how much of a shame it is that once great Liverpool have got to this point'.

Can't wait! :rolleyes:

Martinez is Hodgson 2.0 ready to happen.

That's just how the Utd fans roll. They see which way the the breeze is blowing and go against it. Not all of them of course. The likes of Blatter is able to come on here and have a reasonable debate. But it's the usual ones and not just Utd fans, we all know who they are who will come on here with their usual sh!te.

This thread is going to be oh so predictable over the next two or three years with the next appointment. If we're happy with the manager, they'll spend endless hours telling us how sh!te he is, if we're not happy with how the manager is doing, they'll be moralising on how we should give him a chance.

What sums it up for me is, they slag of Rafa and Kenny, yet they defend Hodgson to the hilt!!!

• Advertisement

Dub13 wrote: »

To vote go here...

100+ votes and 4 for Martinez :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Point remains though, Shankly did f*ck all of note prior to joining Liverpool.

When Shankly joined Liverpool he was joining a second division club, one that had been in that division for a number of years at that point, and his previous role had been in another second division club.

So Shankly's track record was on a similar level to where Liverpool were when he joined them.

Also from pretty much every pov Liverpool FC was a serious mess at that time. It was financially in serious trouble, Anfield was horribly run down, the better players were long gone, Melwood was pretty much unusable, hell the club had even sold the team bus a few years beforehand and the players had to use public transport or lifts from friends to try and get to games.

Shanks may not have had a sterling CV when he joined Liverpool, but the club sure as hell was in a position at that time where Shankly's experience to that point was at least on par with how the club was at the time.

I think that says alot.He is a nice guy,but nice guys win nothing.

He also said previously that he wouldn't take the Chelsea job if it was offered him. He obviously wants to stay at Swansea for a couple of years or so to develop himself as a manager and lay a foundation there for the future and for his cv.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

If what Ayre says is right and that a lot of the responsibilities that managers are used to having will be given over to others then that will limit the type of manager we can get.
    “I wouldn’t go as far as to say the manager’s job will only be a training ground role but absolutely the idea is to create a structure so that the manager doesn’t need to focus on too much else.

“You want the manager to be focused on getting the best out of his team. But what it absolutely isn’t about is bringing players in without the manager’s input.

“In the past a manager would be going to look at 20 or 30 different games just to find one player. Whereas with the right structure someone lines all of that up and the manager is just going to the final interview.

“We are trying to create as much resource and expertise in all the areas that serve the manager and the team rather than having one or two people trying to achieve everything. We are not looking to copy any other club. It will have Liverpool’s own stamp and structure on it.”

FSG are trying to redefine the "managers" role, which may not go down too well with managers who like to be in total control.

Future managers under FSG's new structure will be different from what we are used to, if I'm reading this right.

• Advertisement

I'll see your comment, and raise you one....

bob-paisley-hard-times-too-1024.jpg

....Bob Paisley

Martinez is no Bob, but to say nice guys win nothing is just spouting a very tired cliche.

Good point about Bob,but the football world has changed ten fold since then.Maybe a nice guy could do it in todays game at the top level but I don't think so.

To vote go here...

I think the poll reflects nothing more than Rafa worshipping cohort that makes up the majority membership of Irish Kop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Ancelotti?? Seemed kinda nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Kingdom

Klopp is a nice guy.
    Jupp Heyneckes is a nice guy.

They've won enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

That's just how the Utd fans roll. They see which way the the breeze is blowing and go against it. Not all of them of course. The likes of Blatter is able to come on here and have a reasonable debate. But it's the usual ones and not just Utd fans, we all know who they are who will come on here with their usual sh!te.

This thread is going to be oh so predictable over the next two or three years with the next appointment. If we're happy with the manager, they'll spend endless hours telling us how sh!te he is, if we're not happy with how the manager is doing, they'll be moralising on how we should give him a chance.

What sums it up for me is, they slag of Rafa and Kenny, yet they defend Hodgson to the hilt!!!

Should've given Roy a chance! :pac:

In all seriousness though, the only reason we (or..I.. can't really speak for every United fan) slag Rafa and Kenny was to do with the stuff they came out with in the media. Liverpool fans do the same with Fergie. There's no doubting what Rafa did at Pool was a serious achievement and I think Kenny was let down by the players and injuries to a degree. That said, I don't know if the answer is to go back to Rafa again but it all depends on what the viable options are.

Anything else that's slung back and forth is generally the usual banter and piss taking or doesn't deserve to be taking seriously however annoying it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Good point about Bob,but the football world has changed ten fold since then.Maybe a nice guy could do it in todays game at the top level but I don't think so.

Guardiola!

Don't come much more dignified and likable as him.

Kess73 wrote: »
    I'll see your comment, and raise you one....

bob-paisley-hard-times-too-1024.jpg

....Bob Paisley

Martinez is no Bob, but to say nice guys win nothing is just spouting a very tired cliche.

Was just about to mention the same name!! Some cliches just aren't true!!

A nice guy with the steel to back his own convictions can go far in any profession.

To pick someone from the modern game who gets called a nice guy and who still has done well would not take long. Barca's last manager would be an obvious example.

mike65 wrote: »
    I think the poll reflects nothing more than Rafa worshipping cohort that makes up the majority membership of Irish Kop

I seen a tweet yesterday with stats for all the big LFC forums and the stats were much the same.So its not just an Irishkop thing.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement