Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Campervan dream In leitrim

Options
  • 03-03-2010 12:32am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭

Okay I am probably a very typical poster that ventures on here, have had the dream of owning a campervan ever since I thought cars had faces. :o..now I am desperate to do something about it.

However am not fancy free anymore and all those dreams hadnt a 5 yr old and 3 month old in tow. :eek: And another reason why I ve waited for so long is that I am poor as a church mouse and not very mechanically minded (x2) so here goes I need some help from generous parties as yourselves.
    Ive tried to do some research into the matter. Ventured into looking into the rental market...but you may as well consider taking a world cruise financially...
    I also went up to a well known dealer to see what was out there on the floor and almost got sold something that should have been well how do you say it..... cheaper. :(

Its very hard for me to be grounded but here goes on the type of spec I'd have and wonder would you be able to help with pointers.

Size is not an issue in layout,something that could be used if needed on a day to day basis would be useful, as it essentially would be a second motor.
    Sleeping 2 adults and 2 growing children. (I suppose)
    Readily available parts would be useful.
    Right wheel drive: is that important or limiting?
    Safety important-Ventilation for heating and gas, car seats and belts for kids. Is there anything elase I should be looking out for?
    Conversion versus factory made?
    Diesel/petrol Which is more preferable?
    Mileage whats acceptable per year.
    Storage: Well just enough for the stuff you need for kids really.
    Not technically minded so would need a safe van that has reliable name.
    Layout: Nice to have a dining area-something that can use available space smartly.
    Accessories: We would be willing to go without the shower/toilet aspect if it meant taking over living space.
    Nice face;(It still there! :D) I still like the idea of a regonisable camper either the VW variety or the Hiace camper, but wouldnt rule out a quirky motorhome either. ie something with character.
    Budget: stretch to 12,000 especially if we felt it may hold its value or was investment.

Any advice would be gratefully received.
    Any offers of renting a van in leitrim area for a trial run gratefully accepted also! :D

Thanks in advance.
    Tuppence

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

Our kids were the same ages when we started out, still enjoying it 7 years later.
    A four berth is a minimum. Fiat Ducato seems to be the popular choice and a diesel would be the preferred option. Again Ducatos are very reliable and parts availability never an issue.
    We do around 7000 kms, probably about average.
    A small 4 berth will typically have a dining are that converts to a bed, can be a bit cramped at breakfast time.
    An awning would be great as a play area for those wet days.
    We've had both LHD & RHD and bugger all difference between them.
    While our first MH was small it was coachbuilt but still a bit big to drive as a daily runaround.
    I'd prefer a factory built but they tend to cost a bit more than a conversion. If you do go for a conversion ensure that it's registered/vrt's as a motorhome rather than a commercial.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

Previous advice given is excellent. It is indeed an excellent time to purchase a campervan and you will probably save yourself 5 grand from this time last year. If you and all your family are into camping etc them a campervan should work for you but the campervan is often a man thing and sometimes the other half may not be as enthusiastic. There is not a big difference from a campervan and a caravan really, facilities are quite the same.
    I would suggest that you ask someone who already has a van to assist you in the purchase of a van. Most are most helpful and it will save you buying the wrong one.;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

shawnee wrote: »
    Previous advice given is excellent. It is indeed an excellent time to purchase a campervan and you will probably save yourself 5 grand from this time last year. If you and all your family are into camping etc them a campervan should work for you but the campervan is often a man thing and sometimes the other half may not be as enthusiastic. There is not a big difference from a campervan and a caravan really, facilities are quite the same.
    I would suggest that you ask someone who already has a van to assist you in the purchase of a van. Most are most helpful and it will save you buying the wrong one.;)

Cheers Shawnee, Yes indeed Staplers advices as most people I have talked to on this site have been so helpful, needed as it is an investment. But as you say it would be the right time to do so with the know how.

In so far as the campervan thing being a man thing, I am hoping that it will be for him, cos I am the other half. ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

You mentioned investment. Consider is as an investment in your children's future, our kids have be well educated on Ireland, France, UK, Germany etc etc. have met interesting people throughout Europe and they are better people for it.
    While some people might argue that Child Benefit isn't intended for luxuries, that's how we financed ours.
    Only negative is our seven year old who complains that he's never been on plane :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

Best of Luck Tuppence and I must again be careful not to make assumptions, Think you will have no trouble and enjoy the journey :D;)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

stapeler wrote: »
    You mentioned investment. Consider is as an investment in your children's future, our kids have be well educated on Ireland, France, UK, Germany etc etc. have met interesting people throughout Europe and they are better people for it.
    While some people might argue that Child Benefit isn't intended for luxuries, that's how we financed ours.
    Only negative is our seven year old who complains that he's never been on plane :D

Absolutely agree, great way for kids meeting real people/children from diverse cultures even in Ireland. Always loved being able to get off the beaten track as a child, wondered what was down this or that road, hope they get that same nosiness.....i mean sense of wonder!!:D
    This weather now, you'd just want to be out in it. I am spotting alot of campervans out and about, was in Carrick on Shannon over the weekend and quite jealous.:(

Advertisement