Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Website Quote

Options
  • 10-06-2010 11:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭

Hey

Apologies if this is in the wrong forum was unsure where to put it.

I was trying to find a thread that outlines all the steps and costs associated with setting up a website. I have no knowledge of this and wanted to know the process from hosting, purchasing domain name, web design...the whole works.

Is there anyone who could break it down for me and the approximate costs involved? Or could point me in the right direction.

The site would not have any eCommerce requirements and would solely be for information purposes.

Along the lines of these two here: http://www.bannon.ie or http://www.muzzlemusic.ie

There would be minimal management of the site and a simple CMS would be required.

Again apologies if this is the wrong forum for such a thread.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭nellyshark

Not trying to be intentionally vague but all the costs vary from provider to provider.

For example a .ie domain will cost more than a .com domain and you will get price differences between .com domain providers too.

As regards to hosting again these costs will vary. You could get an Irish based host who will cost more than a uk based hosted or us based host but there are other factors to consider here such as support.

Also there is no standard hosting package i.e. various hosts offers various packages which includes various web space, badwidth, features, operating systems, etc.

In relation to your website you would have to clearly define your requirements.

Muzzle Music for example utilise Joomla which is an open source CMS. To get a custom design varies significantly from provider to provider. Also should you require any custom development this will be an additional cost.

Then there is the issue of maintenance. This might not even be an option depending on your requirements/skills

Its difficult to state all the costs involved without your defined requirements.

Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Mits

Your request is to vague. It also depends on your skill level and the amount of time you are willing to put into it.

good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭MacStacked

Thanks for responses.

I will try to come back with something more specific as soon as I can.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

You should be posting it in the thread i linked to below. You arent allowed get quotes in this thread for work and you would probably be better getting quotes for the whole lot with a breakdown if you want as oppose to trying to price individual aspects and piece together what you think it should cost.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055802922

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭worc

Just to say that the second site you put up is actually a template from Rockettheme which you can buy and alter instead of having to get a site designed from scratch. You could get a .com for about €10, hosting say €50-€100 per year, for a subscription to theme club like RT is about minimum €35 I think and depending on whether you'd go with a CMS like Joomla or wordpress (both free) a couple of days really settling down and learning the CMS (joomla harder, wordpress easier) means you could have yourself up and running for pretty little money. It's not as simple as I might be making it sound, just one issue (of a number) is that they require keeping an eye on updates to maintain security so you can't just set it up and leave it alone because it could become vulnerable to securty threats. If you have the time to put into it and learn one of them then you could save yourself money if it's tight - there's a ton of tutorials on both so you wouldn't be lost for help online.

Should say as well that RT (and I'm sure others do too but I have no experience with any others so won't advise) have a couple of very useful and well put together free templates that you could use for either Joomla or wordpress too - if you have the time to try them yourself then I'd say go for it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement