Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dead leisure battery

Options
  • 27-01-2010 12:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭

hi,
    i have had my camper parked up in my driveway all winter, last week i checked the leisure battery and it was as dead as a nail.i hooked the camper up to the mains overnite and it was the same the following day.do i have to get a battery recharger and recharge it separately or is it a lost cause?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

While you were connected to mains , could you turn on lights etc inside? You need to be sure the charge is making it into the battery . Try plugging it in while the engine is running , then stop the engine .

But tbh , leisure batteries that die fully , rarely recover .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,970 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

My zig unit has a on site hooked up to the mains switch without that it shouldn't change the battery, check that

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭John Dough

hi,
    i have had my camper parked up in my driveway all winter, last week i checked the leisure battery and it was as dead as a nail.i hooked the camper up to the mains overnite and it was the same the following day.do i have to get a battery recharger and recharge it separately or is it a lost cause?

Leisure batteries should NEVER be allowed to fully discharge you should hook it up with a small charger currently available from German shops and it will automatically drop to a low charge when fully charged.

This will also prolong the life of the battery, if you need a new battery email me for a contact who will deliver it to your door at no extra cost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭sportbilly2008

John Dough wrote: »
    Leisure batteries should NEVER be allowed to fully discharge you should hook it up with a small charger currently available from German shops and it will automatically drop to a low charge when fully charged.

This will also prolong the life of the battery, if you need a new battery email me for a contact who will deliver it to your door at no extra cost.

hi, sorry for taking so long to reply.
    how could i have prevented it from discharging completely?
    should i have removed it from the camper over the winter?
    first camper van so still learning, so it seems i have to buy a new one,is it a standard 12v battery and how much will it cost me?

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭defike

A leisure battery is larger and dearer than a normal battery.
    Ideally it should be kept conditioned this is done by using it and then recharging it.A relay bought on auction sites can prevent it from being fully discharged which usually kills the battery.
    A load such as a 12v dehumidifier should be switched on for a little time which will use(discharge) the battery and a charger should then be switched one to recharge it.These are normally attached to timers.
    Otherwise use your camper more often.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

They are normally dearer , yes , but not always bigger . The Leisure aqnd Engine batteries in most modern Ducatos , Masters and Mercs would be the same physical size .

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭defike

Yes sorry but more ampere hours(bigger) in a leisure battery.
    110/120 aH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 salmon7

Hey John Dough
    Whats the cost of those leisure batteries?

Advertisement