Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for advice re buying vw t4 camper

Options
  • 22-02-2010 10:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

Hi All,,
    I am so confused. I have been reading round and round these threads and others and have trawled through the various ad lists etc.
    Hope someone here can help.
    I'm looking for a campervan for 2 adults and a baby. It's a starter van but I would see myself using it for years to come so room for a second little person would be sensible.

It will primarily be used as a day van, somewhere to get in out of the rain, make a cup of tea and let the little man have a snooze.
    It would only occasionally be used overnight- although that could change as soon as I get it :)

needs to have:
    Diesel.
    Have or be able to convert to 2 swivel front seats.
    Have or be able to convert to at least 2 rear 3 point seat belts.
    High roof or pop up is fine - but has to be Taxed as a camper.
    Needs to accomadate 2 large dog cages.
    No need for bathroom
    professional conversion

would be nice to have: - (not deal breakers at all , I am just getting greedy)
    4wd
    Room for porta poti

My parents had a couple of T25's when I was younger and I have great memories of touring in it for years and years. I am therefore leaning towards a VW as I love the layout but needs be front engined so there is room under the bed at the back for dog cages. Would be open to other makes/models with similar layouts.
    My budget is €10k and know I would be looking at very early 90's for that.
    Am I asking too much?
    Should I buy in Ireland or import?
    Thanks so much for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,970 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Hi Welcome to the forum.
    Good places to look for vans would be on adverts.ie run by boards, donedeal.ie gumutree.ie as well as the usual car zone….

Irish prices are way down at them moment.

Personally I don’t like the T4 layout with the kitchen to the side prefer it to the back. Lot’s of German conversions have that. Which would be a good place to look.

Alternatively I imported a camper from Japan last summer and am loving it – it’s a Toyota Hiace high top, it’s got lap belts in the back for 4, storage is good for small things but not great for bulk things, the same way you have with under the vw rock and role beds. There are lots of 4WD’s as well I’ve got selectable 4WD with a low box but it’s a automatic with a 2.8 straight diesel, it’s thirsty about 450 KM to a 60 euro fill, less if you push it.

Got mine trough an agent in the UK his web site is www.subpercamper.co.uk and he’s a blog worth a look, I found him very good. The down side of importing form Japan is the pay for the van + “fee on board” + shipping x 10% duty then because it came from out side the eu you pay vat at 21% then VRT in short you get screwed for tax the camper cost me 5248 to the docks the customs, customs clearance agent, VAT and VRT was 3096 total was 8345.

This is the van http://www.supercamper.co.uk/jap-camper-import-blog/page/8/ you can also get them in the UK and the odd one here.

Be careful of pop tops if you import one as you’ll pat 36% VRT and my have problems taxing it a camper.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 boredofblackroc

Always keep an eye on this site too http://krazykombis.com/ these guys get some great kit in and are a good source of information.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Mahogony

Hi,
    Thanks for getting back to me. Love that van. Its got me thinking on the import route. They would also have the advantage of being lhd.
    mmm lots to think about. Off now to look at those sites.

Mahogony wrote: »
    Hi,
    Thanks for getting back to me. Love that van. Its got me thinking on the import route. They would also have the advantage of being lhd.
    mmm lots to think about. Off now to look at those sites.
    You'll be sorry I've done this, one of the auctuion sites in Japan is USS - you can get to it from the below link using their ID, then search for Toyota - Hiace Van. Look out for high tops with awning, elec hookup, vents for gas water heater and fridge - you can be sure it's a proper camper. Yokohama motor sales are the best IMO.

http://www.japanese-used-cars-auto-auction.com/auction_order_frm.php

Hi spacehopper,
    You're right, I hate you :) I've just spent all yesterday and today looking at Japanese imports and imagining. My big hurdle is the main reason for getting the van is ferrying my working dogs around so I have to have space for 2 big cages to carry them.
    I keep coming back to the vw layout with the dogs under the bed at the back (bed would need to be raised to fit cages)
    All last night I was fixated on getting a Bongo, have to say I love them, but they are a big small and the fact that the front seats can't swivel really goes against them.
    The fact that they are right hand drive and 4wd is a massive plus.
    Still undecided.
    Going back to USS auto auction now :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭unfit2006

Hi Mahogony,
    i was in the exact same position as yourself last Spring. I wanted a nice reliable day-van and occasional camper. I really only wanted a T4 from the start but like you I looked at the Bonzos and other imported Hiace deriviatives. I also took a few trips over to the Uk to look at Japanese imports. Some strange versions and they were nearly all automatics which didnt appeal to me.
    I eventually bought a T4 Hi-Top based on the LWB Transporter. Quite roomy and a lovely driver. It has the walk-through layout which is very practical.
    I find that the looks of the T4 do not seem to have aged at all and they are becoming almost as desirable among VW camper community as the T25s and the earlier T2s. I added a drive-away awning and I found that that really improved the camping exerience greatly.
    I am so glad that I settled on the T4 and I have used it extensively over the past 12 months.
    Do not hesitate to PM me for contact details and I will help/advise in any way I can re your UK search (Costs/VRT/T4 layouts etc.)

regards,

Brendan

This is good forum for info.

http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/

Thanks a million for the info folks, Will certainly take you up on your offer unfit, I have sent you my details.
    Thanks for the link to the forum Boredofblackroc will go and have a look now.

...and these guys are great too. http://www.bilbos.com/about-bilbos/latest-news/

Mahogony wrote: »
    Hi spacehopper,
    You're right, I hate you :) I've just spent all yesterday and today looking at Japanese imports and imagining. My big hurdle is the main reason for getting the van is ferrying my working dogs around so I have to have space for 2 big cages to carry them.
    I keep coming back to the vw layout with the dogs under the bed at the back (bed would need to be raised to fit cages)
    All last night I was fixated on getting a Bongo, have to say I love them, but they are a big small and the fact that the front seats can't swivel really goes against them.
    The fact that they are right hand drive and 4wd is a massive plus.
    Still undecided.
    Going back to USS auto auction now :)

I'd have space day to day for the cages but then there'd be no room for the kids.

As for the Bongos can you make the seats swivel?

• Advertisement

No the engine is mid-vehicle, so neither the driver or passenger seats can be made swivel. Although at the back of my head I think I saw a video about how to use the foot rests ont he back of the front seats as fold out seats but I can't find it again. If anyone knows the one I am talking about can you point me towards it again. If it is possible it would bring the Bongo back into play again.

Advertisement