Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hammond on Top Gear on an F8!

• 25-01-2015 9:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭

Haha so apparently a pinarello F8 weighs under a kilo and is made from "special carbon" :-)) the Chinese must of asked him to say that

At least he's using some decent shoes this time, that frame is too big for him dou!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 291 ✭✭victor201

Great skill on the tram lines :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭Mechanic365

He hasn't much experience anyway, more damage to it than himself!

What wheels are they? Look like campy

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,633 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Ecxept he's wrecked the RD (Di2!) by falling on tramlines ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 291 ✭✭victor201

Fulcrum racing zero

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

As soon as he went near the tram lines it was inevitable.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

will have to check out topgear later

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Haha so apparently a pinarello F8 weighs under a kilo and is made from "special carbon" :-)) the Chinese must of asked him to say that

At least he's using some decent shoes this time, that frame is too big for him dou!

Frame weight claimed is 940g on a size 54.

Raam wrote: »
    Frame weight claimed is 940g on a size 54.

By the way he was talking the whole bike was under the kilo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Haven't seen it yet, but can't stand the bloke since reading his book. I wouldn't mind his job though...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Haven't seen it yet, but can't stand the bloke since reading his book. I wouldn't mind his job though...

what was in the book that put you off him?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

godtabh wrote: »
    what was in the book that put you off him?

He and his wife both came across as very self-centred, in fact her more than him. Was never really a big fan of his as he tries too hard to copy Clarkson. Now, I just find him annoying

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Buchaill_Mor

He and his wife both came across as very self-centred, in fact her more than him. Was never really a big fan of his as he tries too hard to copy Clarkson. Now, I just find him annoying

NSFW

Stewart Lee on Richard Hammond

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

wonder what the chances of are of just happening to find a guy with what looks like a decent merida mountian bike on the outskirts of st petersberg never mind just happening to find one when youve come off your bike and have a camera crew with you

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,248 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it's not like top gear not to script some of their japes, but if you wait on a street in any large city for a few minutes you'll see some decent bikes.
    st petersburg has a population roughly the same as ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I'm presuming that Hammond falling on the tram rails and making bits of the rear derailleur wasn't scripted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭omerin

I'm presuming that Hammond falling on the tram rails and making bits of the rear derailleur wasn't scripted.

If it wasn't, it will be the only thing that's not scripted on that show

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

neris wrote: »
    wonder what the chances of are of just happening to find a guy with what looks like a decent merida mountian bike on the outskirts of st petersberg never mind just happening to find one when youve come off your bike and have a camera crew with you

We don't know how long the crew were standing around for, how many passing cyclists ignored them or wouldn't help, etc.

I think it's a stretch to say it was a set up, otherwise Hammond should be working on Hollywood action blockbusters, not a show based around cars with a bit of dj'ing during the day.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,248 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

ThisRegard wrote: »
    We don't know how long the crew were standing around for, how many passing cyclists ignored them or wouldn't help, etc.
    he mentioned the crash caused him 20 minutes at the end; whether he was including the the slowness of the replacement bike in that wasn't explicit, but the implication was he was stationary for 20 minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

the fall was probably scripted - I'm not sure trashing the derailleur was!

I think he came off a lot heavier than intended to.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,633 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

He did actually look hurt to start off with. The way they film those "races" though, it could well have been the following day before they sorted out an alternative for him (I was at one stage thinking they may have had a backup as they do with the cars - maybe a tandem with a top cyclist as pilot!!)

• Advertisement

Beasty wrote: »
    He did actually look hurt to start off with. The way they film those "races" though, it could well have been the following day before they sorted out an alternative for him (I was at one stage thinking they may have had a backup as they do with the cars - maybe a tandem with a top cyclist as pilot!!)

A tandem with Hammond on it!
    No script needed :-D just let the fun begin!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Jawgap wrote: »
    the fall was probably scripted - I'm not sure trashing the derailleur was!

There's no way the BBC is going to script Hammond falling off a bike in city traffic after brain injuries sustained in the same programme nearly killed him a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Buchaill_Mor

Lumen wrote: »
    There's no way the BBC is going to script Hammond falling off a bike in city traffic after brain injuries sustained in the same programme nearly killed him a few years ago.

He might want to write another book about it, and the powers that be won't let him do that again. TG and books have a torrid history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Lumen wrote: »

It was ok, he had a helmet on :D

Plus since the dragster crash I think he's flipped a couple of cars or been in them when they've been flipped.

Jawgap wrote: »
    It was ok, he had a helmet on :D

Plus since the dragster crash I think he's flipped a couple of cars or been in them when they've been flipped.

Thats the other thing, he was on one of the best road bikes you can get today and I think that was a fairly standard giro helmet! Was expecting a kask infinity tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭drogdub

I was shocked at how slow he was to check if his bike was ok. Too busy worrying about himself, bloody primadonna

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭EB_2013

I'm surprised he was able to cycle the mtb bike after the fall, it did look nasty. The problem is that Top Gear is so heavily staged its hard to know what's real or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

After he hit on the mtb, I noticed one shot close up on the pedals with boot runners, then he had the white cycling shoes on. I'd say it was set up / scripted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 173 ✭✭Juan More Time

In fairness to Richard Hammond I think he did pretty good job to even take on the infamously psychotic and careless Russian motorists of St Petersberg.

Thought his riding position looked pretty good on that uber cool Pinarello F8, his saddle height may have been about 2cm too low and the Dura ace Di2 may have initially confused him a little at the start. Once he got into his stride he was really moving considering his usual mode of transport is a high powered motorcycle or Porsche 911.

I guess it was inevitable a motorcyclist more used to riding fat tyres, suspension, and steering damper of say a Honda fireblade would come a cropper on the tram lines riding a twitchy Sky team bike shod with skinny tyres..

Lastly when poor old Richard did hit the ground with resounding bang, the Pinarello escaped relatively unscathed except for a broken rear derailleur hanger. The rear derailleur hanger on nearly all modern bicycles is a sacrificial component, and is designed to break off in the event of an accident..thus saving your expensive frame set from irreparable damage..

Incidentally, the rear derailleur hanger on all pro tour bikes is replaced by team mechanics with a stainless steel version that gives crisper more accurate shifting...

• Advertisement

I guess it was inevitable a motorcyclist more used to riding fat tyres, suspension, and steering damper of say a Honda fireblade would come a cropper on the tram lines riding a twitchy Sky team bike shod with skinny tyres..

Didn't he used to ride to work? He said it like 2 year ago on one of the episodes

Advertisement