Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First of the old - vintage weekend in Conamara- 28/29 March

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Benotto

Hi Yarisbob,
    Congratulations, Storks bring some wounderfull things of joy, many happy days.
    Can I assume you will be getting a Peugeot Tandem for the trip around Galway so

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Brendan Hennessy

Darn,

Not only did Babybob arrive early, but his father is thinking early, early! I was thinking of a slightly later start bearing in mind a 3 hour drive up in the morning.

Perhaps if Babybob puts in a few digs to daddy bob then he'll reconsider the very early start! Sure we've the whole weekend in front of us!

Does anybody have any interesting bikes on the horizon? Sarge10 is soldering the awards for the prize giving!

Also folks be sure to spread the word.

Congratulations to the Bobs!

Brendan

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Yarisbob

Howya Lads ! Sense and sensibility will prevail ! I'd say we leave it off until 10 start in Oughterard (or after) ! I forgot that lads have to travel !

As we all know its a very informal affair and we will all have each others contact details so we can meet up or reschedule as needs be !

If you want to go give me a PM after Monday with ur no and mail Simpes

Thanks a mill lads - wee man is going good and as soon as he is able to hod his head up I'll have him on the Weeride Kangeroo just like his sister !

Now where would one find a Peugeot Leader 20 ?

Yaris, oh Yaris,

Where would you find a picture of a Peugeot Leader 20 more like! I know the bike exists, but without a picture it's like Schrodingers cat!

Brendan

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Daithi BC

Not only did Babybob arrive early, but his father is thinking early, early! I was thinking of a slightly later start bearing in mind a 3 hour drive up in the morning.

That would mean getting up at 5am for you, Brendan? Round here, we call that a lie-in.

All the same, 10am in Oughterard sounds sensible.

I keep wanting to type Oughteraard and transform it into Flemish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I think, I saw a familiar face on an advert for an upcoming farming programme on UTV.
    Was I mistaken?

Eamonnator wrote: »
    I think, I saw a familiar face on an advert for an upcoming farming programme on UTV.
    Was I mistaken?

No, I'm sure I know him as well!

UTV Ireland on Monday nights at 8pm if you're interested.

Hi all,

I'm not getting up at 5am, never, ever, ever! But I did get up at 6am to go cycling yesterday! Planning the route with Ger McCarthy for the special event in September (understated mystery there!).

Here's the bikes, guess the place! Brendan

16365922870_9cfb9515cf.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Hi Ho

Hi all,

I'm not getting up at 5am, never, ever, ever! But I did get up at 6am to go cycling yesterday! Planning the route with Ger McCarthy for the special event in September (understated mystery there!).

Here's the bikes, guess the place! Brendan

16365922870_9cfb9515cf.jpg

The Gap

Hi-ho was quick off the mark and I was slow in acknowledging his correct answer! Well done Hi Ho. Can't say this is really a prize, but it's eye candy. Hoping to have it finished shortly, better not rain in Conamara!

16407570328_7da8736c9d_z.jpg

Best wishes all, Brendan

• Advertisement

Howya Lads
    Thinking now that some fellows will have an early start. Some might have to travel 130 miles. So with that in mind Im open to suggestions as to what would be a good starting time. I told the hotel people we would be there for around 4-5pm but this is open to interpretation ... As ive said before this is a very informal meetup !!

Most important lads is to PM me your real name and mobile no please so I can get you all booked in the Station House. I am looking for a roundabout figure for the hotel as apparently its mid-term bank holiday or some malarkey like that.

Thanks a mill lads !!

Cheers Yaris, and how's baby bob?

I reckon you might as well stay with the 10am meet, and perhaps the start might follow by 11 or something like that. At this stage I hope to come up the evening before, but not sure about others?

I think you have my name (!), do you need my number?

Now back to building that Holdsworth!

Brendan

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Deadon

Yarisbob wrote: »
    Howya Lads
    Thinking now that some fellows will have an early start. Some might have to travel 130 miles. So with that in mind Im open to suggestions as to what would be a good starting time. I told the hotel people we would be there for around 4-5pm but this is open to interpretation ... As ive said before this is a very informal meetup !!

Most important lads is to PM me your real name and mobile no please so I can get you all booked in the Station House. I am looking for a roundabout figure for the hotel as apparently its mid-term bank holiday or some malarkey like that.

Thanks a mill lads !!

Really sorry about this ,but I made a mess of my dates ,unfortunately im on call with work weekend of cycle ,I've tried getting out of it ,but no joy as of yet ..enjoy the spin lads ,apologies again Dec and Brian

Yarisbob wrote: »
    So with that in mind Im open to suggestions as to what would be a good starting time. I told the hotel people we would be there for around 4-5pm but this is open to interpretation

YB - Remind me again what the distance is on the first day for anyone starting from Oughterard. From previous experience, these spins tend to average about 20km/h, so if it's around 110km and we don't stop too long for lunch, we'll be in Clifden for 5pm if we leave at 11am.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭happytramp

Jaysus Daithi, look who they used as the promotional faces of the tour de Connemara! Where do we pick up our Royalties.

happytramp wrote: »
    Jaysus Daithi, look who they used as the promotional faces of the tour de Connemara! Where do we pick up our Royalties.

At the very least, I think a free entry to this year's event would be in order. It's a great part of the world to go cycling in.

Sorry to hear that Dec and Brian,

Don't forget the proposed rerun of Laochra na Laoise is May 17th and the Nissan event is September 13th in Killarney. Book those dates off work now!

Brendan

Daithi BC wrote: »
    At the very least, I think a free entry to this year's event would be in order. It's a great part of the world to go cycling in.

Well, I've a great idea - why don't we organise an event there so!

Daddybob, did you get the required responses for booking the hotel?

Brendan

Well, I've a great idea - why don't we organise an event there so!

That sounds like an excellent idea - we could have some vintage bikes at it as well!

Hi Lads
    Sorry for not getting back sooner.. We have a nice number for a weekends craic.

The list is so far
    Yarisbob
    DaithiBC
    ardcat x 4
    the taxman (Single Room)
    sarge10 x2
    Berndan Hennessey x 2
    Benotto x 4

If we take off from Oughterard it will be 12 miles extra so daithis estimate of 11am start in Oughterard would leave us plenty of time

With junior now I havent taken the bike out in months but I will be back at it again this weekend A bit like cramming for exams ...!

Any changes you lads need give me a PM and I'll do my best... Ive also been let down by the classic car man so Im short a service car now .. !

• Advertisement

You may have noticed that it's been a bit damp out recently. This is the time of year where my work consists of getting malting barley sown, and by the time the ground dries out, we'll be at least 10 days behind schedule. Unfortunately, that means I'm not going to make it over to Connemara on the 28th :(

Hope you all have a great weekend, and that the weather is dry, bright and sunny (so that I can get some work done).

No Problem Dave.. Thanks for letting us know...!

I ahve had a few wee spins and didnt feel too bad so far... ! Im still down a car driver as well.:(

As with all impromptu meetups things will work out..!

Looking forward to seeing you all !!

Hi Yarisbob,
    What training ! overrated ;-)
    I may be able to sort a car driver who will be able to carry a few bags back to the hotel if thats what you are looking for ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Jotvingis

Hi guys,
    some bad news. Just recovered from flu and got straight into bronchitis, so my chances to be recovered enough for an event are slim to none. However there is a silver lining - I'm now available to do driving! There is one minor problem though. My car is KIA Cee'd, so not exactly Volvo size (hint hint - can I get to drive that 240? ;) )

Lads,

Sorry to hear about the weather and injury related absences lads - hopefully some silver lining for Jotvingis and some cereal for Dáithí.

I have had sight of the inaugural best in show trophy - an assemblage of steel beauty - but Sarge 10 must fear if he shows it to all of you you'll start poisoning each other or at least let the air out of tyres!

Really looking forward to the weekend, a load of bicycle building ahead of me this weekend.

Have any of ye seen the facebook page for the Nissan International Classic 1985-1992? I've sought expressions of interest there for a rerun for the 30th anniversary in Kerry in September.

Best wishes all,

Brendan

Howya Lads
    Sorry for not updating you all of late. Things were up in the air but starting to settle out now. Looking forward to the break. I sent Brendan an updated map to put up here if you would be so kind.

If you have a modern bike you are more than welcome to join in .. You will however be the butt of all jokes all weekend…..! There will be a few well placed questions regarding vintage bikes that you will have to answer to get going…! Only joking all welcome no matter

A few points I wish to draw your attention to
    · Hotel is pay on the day – no call for deposits
    · Dinner is at 7pm Saturday
    · Times are not tight so a nice relaxed pace and plenty of picture opportunitys. I have a couple of nice spots to pull up at.
    · There will be an informal TT on Sunday morning along the Sky Road a right pig of a climb – Closest guess to your actual time will be the winner
    · Brendan will hold a concours d’elegance on Saturday evening
    · I will be gathering €10 a man for Mrs Benotto who kindly offered to do the driving of our gear

I promise the weather will be wet and windy..!

Id say there will be some busy boys this week putting together a few nice specimins. I myself got a pinch flat which took out one of my tyres .. Another Panaracer Pasela PT on teh way... !!

Give me a buzz if you have any questions or just give me a buzz for the craic anyway:D

No need for collection for Mrs Benotto, she is quite happy to do the driving and is a cycling fan too
    But thanks all the same.
    Husband Benotto.

Yaris, cartographer in chief,

Is it the map from December with the writing top right? Could you resend to my Hotmail, just in case it's the wrong one.

Thanks for the work and sincere appreciation to Mrs. B - wonder what she'll be driving?

Brendan

16872584475_0648637d88.jpg

• Advertisement

Managed OK thanks Brendan... I will pass on the hi res version to anybody that's interested if you PM your email address !!

I'll get a few done for the spin (if they don't get soaked on the spin up from Galway to Oughterard :rolleyes:

Advertisement