Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ice, ice baby

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Was going to head out this morning but -1 and a fuzzy layer of ice on everything meant I didn't risk it. Not losing a season for the sake of one day. A thaw has come now, pity my training window is gone!

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭whacker00

Cars heavily iced up in Ennis and roads look fairly glossy especially in the shade. I just dropped the young whackers off to swimming and the sun is out but it also +3c so I'd say give it an hour or so

Anything but being stuck in on the turbo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Just been out in the car and it's thawing nicely around NCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Still patchy ice in Cork,shaded areas very dodgy. Not worth it for the sake of 1 cycle. The turbo will suffice, I saw on FB youghal cc have cancelled all todays spins and they'd go out in almost anything, tells you a a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

Almost completely thawed in Leixlip so ill hit the road about 12 , probably still stick to the main roads .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

I presume Phoenix park is ok for a spin- anyone know for sure?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

Sprinted up the Christchurch hill this morning then braked heavily for the little left turn just before the top as normal. Front wheel started skidding for a millisecond then almost immediately was perfect again. Pretty sure the ice tyres saved me there. Was over long before I could even react. Though I hope I would have been behaving more sensibly on normal tyres!

Best purchase of the year. Whoever it was who posted the planet x deal for them is a star :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Sprinted
    ice tyres

Well done sir.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

Felt a few little slips on the back wheel, kicked out to the side, going down through the city center this morning at about 930am, (portobello, camden st, georges st etc) think might bus it home later

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

Waited till 3pm yesterday and went up towards the 3 rock masts from Taylors hoping to do a few reps. It was fine up through the carpark but above the second barrier and around the righthander at about 350m I turned back, it quite quickly became too slippy for coming back down safely. Very similar to Saturday's conditions.
    Gave up on the idea of reps and tootled over to Stepaside and back by the Blue Light with no problems.

This morning at 8.20am it was fine for cycling from Ballyboden -KCR - Town (on CX tyres). I wasn't doing any sprinting for lights though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭C3PO

Left home in Shankill at 5.55am this morning for my commute to Ballsbridge on the singlespeed with 23c's! Rode very gingerly but no problems ..... apart from the Baltic cold!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Cycled from Portmarnock at 07:30 this morning, not a bother although snow is forecast to be on the way so it'll be back onto the hybrid.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

I came off last week and the ice has knocked my confidence a bit. Bring back the wind and rain all is forgiven.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭ciotog

Diarmuid wrote: »
    I cycled from around the bottom of Grange road to Clonskeagh. There were some dodgy patches on the bike lane where there had been a pool of water but you could see them a mile away. The roads were fine, so best to stick to them. I wouldn't have chanced it apart from the fact that the roads were very dry (or that's what it look like from the house window!)
    How was it this morning? I'm thinking of doing my first Killester to Clonskeagh commute (new job) in the morning. Abandoned plans for it this morning when I saw the forecast :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

ciotog wrote: »
    How was it this morning? I'm thinking of doing my first Killester to Clonskeagh commute (new job) in the morning. Abandoned plans for it this morning when I saw the forecast :)

Roads were bone dry this morning. I went Deansgrange to Santry and while it was -6 at Airport at 08:00 there was no ice or frost. Usually if the car is covered in heavy frost I take it easy but this morning despite the cold there was hardly any frost or ice on the car. If we have rain/sleet over night then it may be a different story but if it stays dry you will have no problems despite the low temperature.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,544 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

In North County Dublin the roads were generally dry this morning, but there were patches which were not and ice remained in some places (and the car windscreen was completely iced up). There's no way I'll risk it tomorrow with temperatures already dipping below zero and overnight rain (possibly snow) forecast

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Deedsie wrote: »
    I came off last week and the ice has knocked my confidence a bit...
    I'm a bit of a slow learner and it took coming off three times in black ice for me to decide that it's not worth it. In all three occasions, conditions were as described by Beasty below - I came down on sheltered bends when the rest of the roads seemed fine.
    Beasty wrote: »
    In North County Dublin the roads were generally dry this morning, but there were patches which were not and ice remained in some places...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

Roads were fine from Portmarnock thru Baldoyle and into Dublin. Didn't bother yesterday based on the forecast and frozen car windscreens

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

No ice on the N11 this morning and then I have to go and get a flat just after UCD. What a pain in the hole. Thanks to the girl who offered to help me change it. I had luckily left early so still made it into work on time. Very fast tube changing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Flew in this morning. No wind or ice and its a bit of a relief because I was starting to believe that cycling around in that wind that my fitness had gone when it looks like it has benefited me. Might take a sneaky half day 2moro and head of for a few hours.
    Easiest commute for a while

• Advertisement

Very early morning: Rathmines > Stillorgan > Killiney > Kilternan > Glencullen > Cruagh Rd > Stocking Lane > Harolds Cross > Santry

No ice found whatsoever. Some snow near the Viewing point, but maybe 2-3 patches on the road. Will melt later on I presume.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Alek wrote: »
    Very early morning: Rathmines > Stillorgan > Killiney > Kilternan > Glencullen > Cruagh Rd > Stocking Lane > Harolds Cross > Santry

No ice found whatsoever. Some snow near the Viewing point, but maybe 2-3 patches on the road. Will melt later on I presume.

Good to know, were you on a road bike? Thinking of getting out at lunch, maybe for a Glencullen / Cruagh loop.

CX bike with studded tyres, as it turned out - unnecessarily. Would have been fine on slicks.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Found it a lot warmer this morning compared with yesterday coomuting in Dublin City, worked up a sweat even.

Yep - Met Eireann were predicting snow.

Yr.no and the UK met office were predicting no snow (bit of rain, but no snow).

Like the fool I am, I was once again caught out by Met Eireann (sorry @c_daly!)

Better safe than sorry, to be sure to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

Pretty chilly out around Dublin. And wet, but no ice nor snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Jawgap wrote: »

Yr.no and the UK met office were predicting no snow (bit of rain, but no snow).

Like the fool I am, I was once again caught out by Met Eireann (sorry @c_daly!)

We're like an Irish Mammy.

"Jesus, Mary and Joseph, don't be going out in that, you'll catch your death!"...

:D

cdaly_ wrote: »
    We're like an Irish Mammy.

"Jesus, Mary and Joseph, don't be going out in that, you'll catch your death!"...

:D

I thought it was more like Fraser from Dad's Army......

10891iDA15F286C2167E7F?v=mpbl-1

To be followed someday soon by.....

Fraser.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Koobcam

Today was grand (Newbridge-Dublin), a bit wet, but no ice and not particularly cold (compared to recent days). I basically use my car as a gauge-no ice at all this morning, so fine to ride. Forecast also says the temperatures will be up on the weekend, so might be able to get some good spins in then.

Advertisement