Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ice, ice baby

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34 tim63

turbo trainer watching the darts, much safer....

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,534 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

tim63 wrote: »
    turbo trainer watching the darts, much safer....
    I've made sure the darts board is in the next room to the turbo - even safer, as long as I remember to close the door....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

Turbo for me today as well. Came off on black ice last year but luckily wasn't injured, just confidence knocked. Probably turbo tomorrow as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Just in case anybody is entertaining thoughts of a spin today......am in work and my commute (Balbriggan to Ballycoolin) hit a high of 0c and a low of -4c. Workmates from Hollystown said it was -5c there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 827 ✭✭✭disco1

Looking for trouble in Meath area today....yesterday's road ice did not even thaw. Today is worse even for a 4x4. Don't go on a bike on any back roads or b roads .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

Dublin 7 is covered in black ice this morning. Wouldn't fancy going for a spin through the park for a while yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭g0g

Grrr, haven't been out in months and finally today would have suited but it looks Baltic outside. Assume I'd be mad going for a spin from Bray this morning? Are even the likes of the N11 (North or South) or coast roads likely to be full of black ice?

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭michaelm

Was out on the N7 between Nenagh and Birdhill yesterday morning and while roads were gritted the cycle lanes were very dangerous. Will be similar today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 623 ✭✭✭J Madone

g0g wrote: »
    Grrr, haven't been out in months and finally today would have suited but it looks Baltic outside. Assume I'd be mad going for a spin from Bray this morning? Are even the likes of the N11 (North or South) or coast roads likely to be full of black ice?

The Glen of the downs is notorious for being icy,
    value my bones too much to go out in ice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Tested Schwalbe Snow Studs this morning.
    -5℃ left Phoenix park wonderfully frozen, fairytale feeling all the way.

Pumped low, 40/50psi, these tyres are super grippy on wet tarmac, black ice, white ice, frozen grass, mud, you name it.

I've tried controlled braking on various surfaces - only white glaze ice with water on top is undeniably dangerous, however I've managed to slow down to stop without the front wheel skidding. Hairy experience still.

The wheel will still lock easily on black ice, but beyond the point needed for decent braking. Also, it will not skid sideways, but rather go slide nicely forward.

Turning seems tricky, but I wasn't brave enough to test how much do I have to lean my bike in turn to slide under an oncoming car :pac:

One word of caution: make sure your bike is completely dry before heading out in these temperatures. After 30min my rear brake (and whole left shifter) froze solid - all the braking later was done on the front brake :eek::P And this is after not riding it for a few days. I'll make sure to use some WD40 on the shifter, derailleurs and inside the brake housing the next time.

10848299_1429820873974719_409399694_n.jpg

10881978_311842149011452_974176332_n.jpg

10898951_1572132876354128_1582603609_n.jpg

10832025_837546559635041_38129122_n.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Commute into work (by car) was very 'skaty' -
    East Meath & NCD back roads were pretty lethal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I live in drogheda.
    minus 4.6 degrees in my garden, at the moment.
    Discretion is the better part of valour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

Where to buy snow/ice tires for a road bike in Dublin though, preferably Northside or city centre cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭jgorres

Hi Alek,
    Alek wrote: »
    Tyres with studs - do they help with black ice?
    No, they do not.

Years ago on my commuting bike I had tyres with spikes, which were great. No idea wether you get them for racing bikes.

However, abrupt braking with those tyres on ice is not advisable if you have not got an antilock braking system on your bike :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I've just been talking to the refuse collector. He says, it's worse, farther inland. He says particularly bad, towards Navan.

• Advertisement

italodisco wrote: »
    Where to buy snow/ice tires for a road bike
    the smallest 700c (622) studded tire is 32mm, measuring about 30mm tall and wide

http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/studdedtires.asp

They will most likely not fit your bike (unless its has cyclocross clearances), are not very "studdy" and I honestly doubt you can get them locally.

noka10.jpg

jgorres wrote: »
    Hi Alek,

No, they do not.

Years ago on my commuting bike I had tyres with spikes, which were great. No idea wether you get them for racing bikes.

I am not sure if we are talking about the same thing: my tyres (Schwalbe Snow Stud) have metal studs (spikes?) and they were great this morning on most types of ice I've encountered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,484 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Coming off the mountain, temp was up to a balmy 0 degrees in Kilmac (from -4.5 in Roundwood) around 9am.

Actually the R755 was gritted, so was ok from Roundwood down - only icy bit was on The Long Hill where there was water flowing across the road that had frozen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

Better to wait another 24 hours, forecast is for milder temps again from tomorrow.

http://www.yr.no/place/Ireland/Leinster/Dublin/hour_by_hour.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

coastwatch wrote: »
    Better to wait another 24 hours, forecast is for milder temps again from tomorrow.

http://www.yr.no/place/Ireland/Leinster/Dublin/hour_by_hour.html

Indeed, according to RTE news years day will be a lovely 13c

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

bcmf wrote: »
    Workmates from Hollystown said it was -5c there.

Never thawed around the area yesterday, road in my estate was frozen all day. My wife's car which hasn't been moved since before Christmas had layers of ice on it this morning when taking it out, home office has ice on the outside of the windows and the wooden fence even has ice.

Main roads aren't too bad as they're gritted regularly but any minor roads or the shade is bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭LennoxR

Went out over Howth yesterday which was fine. Still off work but there's no way I'd go out cycling today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

Tested Schwalbe Snow Studs this morning.
    -5℃ left Phoenix park wonderfully frozen, fairytale feeling all the way.

Pumped low, 40/50psi, these tyres are super grippy on wet tarmac, black ice, white ice, frozen grass, mud, you name it.

I've tried controlled braking on various surfaces - only white glaze ice with water on top is undeniably dangerous, however I've managed to slow down to stop without the front wheel skidding. Hairy experience still.

The wheel will still lock easily on black ice, but beyond the point needed for decent braking. Also, it will not skid sideways, but rather go slide nicely forward.

Turning seems tricky, but I wasn't brave enough to test how much do I have to lean my bike in turn to slide under an oncoming car :pac:

One word of caution: make sure your bike is completely dry before heading out in these temperatures. After 30min my rear brake (and whole left shifter) froze solid - all the braking later was done on the front brake :eek::P And this is after not riding it for a few days. I'll make sure to use some WD40 on the shifter, derailleurs and inside the brake housing the next time.

great feedback on those tyres, was out myself and they are only marginally better than MTB tyres without studs to be honest. You'd want extreme care when taking on sheet ice, so best off avoiding this at all costs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

The council are working on a burst water mains at the top of our street, it's like an ice rink outside the house. I don't have any real confidence on the bike yet, so opted for another spin indoors. Hoping to get out tomorrow.

they are only marginally better than MTB tyres without studs to be honest.

I do not have direct comparison with other knobby tyres, but Snow Studs are great on ice compared to my normal wide slicks (Kojaks).

I could have tried them vs. cyclocross tyres, but my balls are shrunk from cold and hence not big enough for this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

I do not have direct comparison with other knobby tyres, but Snow Studs are great on ice compared to my normal wide slicks (Kojaks).

I could have tried them vs. cyclocross tyres, but my balls are shrunk from cold and hence not big enough for this.

Regular cross tyres were fine in Phoenix Park the last 2 days, no problems around 30psi. Took it easy riding down there. Have studded tyres, but only use them if it snows and commuting.

Dugast Diavolos look awesome for seriously icy conditions. http://youtu.be/U2XZB86mwJM

nak wrote: »
    Dugast Diavolos look awesome for seriously icy conditions.
    When directly compared to a normal Dugast tubular tyre in a straight run, the standard tubular would slip at between 190 and 210 watts, while the Diavolo could handle over 950 watts before breaking free, according to Dugast.

Wow :D

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/banned-nys-tests-dugasts-diavolo-spiked-tyre-on-ice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭The tax man

Alek,are they the tyres you got from PX? If so are they the 38mm?

Yep, these are the PX ones. Haven't measured but they seem to be correct on sizing - there is some space under the fork rated at 42mm.

Yep, these are the PX ones. Haven't measured but they seem to be correct on sizing - there is some space under the fork rated at 42mm.

Hmmm might take a punt at those prices. Cheers.:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

A few icy photos from this mornings ride.

I took the hybrid instead of the road bike, its got bigger grippier tires and a more relaxed riding position (which I'm beginning to appreciate).

Like everywhere else it was -4c

I got into work, and there was ice forming on my hat!..

333081.jpg

And the Royal canal was frozen over (I'm enjoying the versatility of the hybrid, but I need to replace the peddles and shoes ~ its awful cycling in trainers)

333082.jpg

I met Brendan Behan, he was frozen solid :pac:

333083.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,011 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Just in case anybody is entertaining thoughts of a spin today......am in work and my commute (Balbriggan to Ballycoolin) hit a high of 0c and a low of -4c. Workmates from Hollystown said it was -5c there.
    I was driving to work this morning at 6.45am and met a cyclist between Rush and Lusk. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

I was driving to work this morning at 6.45am and met a cyclist between Rush and Lusk. :eek:

Jaysus.
    However maybe they didnt have a choice!
    Maybe it was Makikomi!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,534 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Normally when it's thsi sunny the roads dry out making cycling less of an issue. I've cycled in much lower temperatures on dry roads without a problem. Currently though all that's happening is the frost is melting during the day to leave icy water on the road (and particularly towards the edge) which re-freezes overnight. Hard shoulders are looking worse as they don't get the tyres from motor vehicles clearing the icy bits sometimes leaving it icy through the day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Jaysus.
    However maybe they didnt have a choice!
    Maybe it was Makikomi!

I'm an early riser but I'm not that far north, I just train in an MMA club in Rush village.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭billyhead

Madness if it was a road bike with 23c tyres:eek:. A mountain bike would be grand as I had no problems myself getting from Rush to the train station at 6.30am.

billyhead wrote: »
    Madness if it was a road bike with 23c tyres:eek:. A mountain bike would be grand as I had no problems myself getting from Rush to the train station at 6.30am.
    Yes it was an MTB. (Farm labourer going to work - I see him regularly). Still wouldn't fancy it though as I've come off a few times on black ice. I presume he had no other option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Santry/Ballymun still icy leaving for work at 8am. Seemed to ease off the nearer the Tolka I went. Footpaths probably worse. Ran to work yesterday and it was safer running on the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭billyhead

Yes it was an MTB. (Farm labourer going to work - I see him regularly). Still wouldn't fancy it though as I've come off a few times on black ice. I presume he had no other option.

I always meet him going the opposite direction. Hardy oul souls those labourers. There on such low wages they cant afford to maintain and run a car. The main road was grand. Its the roads within the housing estates that were lethal. I presume the gritters have been out in force the last few nights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭g0g

After a warmer day today and a non-sub-zero expected forecast is the general thinking that tomorrow would be safe for non-hill cycling?

After a warmer day today and a non-sub-zero expected forecast is the general thinking that tomorrow would be safe for non-hill cycling?
    Positively balmy conditions today. Did 108kms with no incidents. Some ice in sheltered areas but not on the road. Tomorrow should be even better.

Buckled my front wheel when I had an argument with a kerb after hitting some black ice today. Even four wheels and ABS didn't help. Some roads still lethal out there today. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭devonp

any early birds got an update on the trip to town from Leixlip? this morning ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

NCD & East Meath were clear.

Fuppin' cold, though - wrap up well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭devonp

ok cheers, my old eyes must have been deceiving me thought when i looked out ealier roads were whitish, but see now that they look grand for a cold one, i'm layering up tbs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

Jawgap wrote: »
    NCD & East Meath were clear.

Fuppin' cold, though - wrap up well.

there was some black ice just up the road from you in Drawda, so be careful off main roads

Nice... I have taken spiked tyres off yesterday... :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

Little slippy on north facing backroads in Meath, but reached a balmy 2C once I got past Ashbourne

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭Jk_Eire

Just had a sprinkling of snow in Dublin City centre. It's melted away, but here's hoping it doesn't freeze over the next couple of hours for the trip home.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,195 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i was out in the car at about 6pm; i had to defrost the windscreen so it's already sub-zero.

• Advertisement
Advertisement