Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ice, ice baby

• 28-12-2014 8:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭

Been out - came back - roads lethal in East Meath.

Expected it on the back roads but it was still lethal when I got to the main road so decided to head back and try later.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Donegal the same, beautiful bright sunny morning here but the roads are lethal and even though I have the morning free I'm not risking it!

About the same in Kildare. Going to put together the turbo trainer!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Tyres with studs - do they help with black ice?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

Was supposed to be meeting a few at 10 am. In leixlip , It got changed to 11 as roads are bad, I won't be surprised if it gets cancelled altogether

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Alek wrote: »
    Tyres with studs - do they help with black ice?

I have them and used them in the snow a few years ago - they worked really well.

Never tried them on ice - I usually just wait until the stuff melts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

sullzz wrote: »
    Was supposed to be meeting a few at 10 am. In leixlip , It got changed to 11 as roads are bad, I won't be surprised if it gets cancelled altogether

I know whoever went from Lucan this morning were going along the canal on mountain bikes. Roads are just too bad to risk coming off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭devonp

where in leixlip u headin from?, what level, is it a club spin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Wonder if the main roads around South Dublin city / Clonskeagh / Merrion should be ok enough by now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭colm_gti

Side roads still lethal in Ashbourne, was hoping to get 3-4 hours in today, but I'd rather miss 3-4 hours now than 3-4 months this season due to a broken hip!

Never tried them on ice, I usually just wait until the stuff melts.

I have no other choice but to cycle in the very morning, I'll put them Snow Studs on and see how they roll :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,011 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

colm_gti wrote: »
    Side roads still lethal in Ashbourne, was hoping to get 3-4 hours in today, but I'd rather miss 3-4 hours now than 3-4 months this season due to a broken hip!
    Mrs WA was driving in the Garristown/Oldtown/Naul area this morning and encountered black ice frequently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

I have no other choice but to cycle in the very morning, I'll put them Snow Studs on and see how they roll :)

I think those snow studs are only designed for snow and ice conditions and not for patches of ice. I'd imagine they'd be slippery on wet tarmac creating a bigger hazard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

Decided to avoid the roads, stuck the bike into the trainer, got a flat! 😞

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,160 ✭✭✭nilhg

Still freezing here in the shade, looks like the dog is going to get his yearly Sunday walk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

Looks like its laps of howth again.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,569 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Christ guys you need to get your priorities right. Glorious sunshine, hardly a breath of wind. Get your turbos out in the garden, on the street or wherever and start working on those tan lines.... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

' never let sunny weather get in the way of a whinge '

( old chinese proverb )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I'd to cancel MMA training in Rush this morning due to icy roads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭colm_gti

I'd to cancel MMA training in Rush this morning due to icy roads.

What kind of cycling is that?

Just incase anyone is on the look out for snow tires I just came across this. £10.99 reduced from £39.99
    TYSCSNST_P1.jpg
    http://www.planetx.co.uk/deals

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

Looks like its laps of howth again.

How is howth head today?
    Anyone risk it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭devonp

any1 out on the old N4 Leixlip kilcock enfield clonard....icy or ok

colm_gti wrote: »
    What kind of cycling is that?

Its called commuting cycling.. I (or you) cycle to and from a location (for example MMA training).
    VERB (used without object), commuted, commuting.
    To travel regularly over some distance, as from a suburb into a city and back:
    He commutes to MMA training by bicycle

Anything else while you want to be a genius?.. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Roads all fine in south wexford

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,658 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Just back from Killiney- Dundrum- enniskerry - greystones and back same route. Happy to report that all roads are ice free. Plenty of snow visible on the higher hills

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Getting reports of a cyclist hit at Blake's X (yes Beasty that spot again) . Don't know how bad it is and won't speculate who or how they are but seriously people with the low Sun and dodgy roads use some sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭The tax man

Just back from a spin out to Blessington on the N81. Main road was fine due low hedgerow far from the road itself. Past the village where the road narrowed and the hedgerow was on top of you was a different story. Side of the road still shaded. Turned for home about 500 meters past Blessington, just not worth the risk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭Hani Kosti

Beasty wrote: »
    Christ guys you need to get your priorities right. Glorious sunshine, hardly a breath of wind. Get your turbos out in the garden, on the street or wherever and start working on those tan lines.... :)

Hell hath no fur(r)y Sufferfest done... one (aka me) thought women race would be easy enough... Now i can post in "I did something to my legs" thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 365 ✭✭Pablo Rubio

Just back in.Did main roads ,Swords>Julianstown>Duleek>Kilmoon>Ashbourne >Airport with caution. Main roads good,but madness to venture onto any secondary roads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Very Icy roads in and around Tyrone these last few days. :pac:

I'd use the word "lethal"
    Nearly broke me arse bone walking across my parents yard.

It's really, really not worth the risk. The fella who does stuff on my bikes broke his hip last year. Stood up to give it some welly on a hill and the bike went sideways/horizontal out from under him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭victorcarrera

I did an hour on the turbo in the garage at -2C wearing nothing but shorts and a hrm. It was like a hot summers day out there.
    PS: Forecast is for -6 tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭billyhead

bcmf wrote: »
    Getting reports of a cyclist hit at Blake's X (yes Beasty that spot again) . Don't know how bad it is and won't speculate who or how they are but seriously people with the low Sun and dodgy roads use some sense.

Yep. There was a bad crash I believe involving a cyclist just past the Great gas service station. The below was taken from the Garda traffic twitter account. Hopefully its not to serious. Be careful out there folks. Better off playing it safe and staying with the turbo unless you want to spend time in the fracture clinic.

RT @GardaTraffic: Serious traffic collision near Blake’s Cross Nt Co Dublin road closed in both directions. All traffic being diverted onto the M1

billyhead wrote: »
    Yep. There was a bad crash I believe involving a cyclist just past the Great gas service station. The below was taken from the Garda traffic twitter account. Hopefully its not to serious. Be careful out there folks. Better off playing it safe and staying with the turbo unless you want to spend time in the fracture clinic.

RT @GardaTraffic: Serious traffic collision near Blake’s Cross Nt Co Dublin road closed in both directions. All traffic being diverted onto the M1

Sorry to say if they've closed the road in both directions it's not going to be good. Hopefully I'm mistaken. Stay safe lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Not looking great, life threatening injuries, hope they pull through.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/cyclist-fighting-for-life-after-collision-with-car-30866130.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

Perfect weather for the cross bike. Spotted a few out in Phoenix Park.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

Group spin put back from 10 until 11:30 , went from leixlip out to mother Hubbards and back , out through maynooth, kilcock and enfield , roads were patchy , didn't see many other cyclists ( only 1 lucan lad) .

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

I did an hour on the turbo in the garage at -2C wearing nothing but shorts and a hrm. It was like a hot summers day out there.
    PS: Forecast is for -6 tonight.

an hour? why did you stop after you were just warmed up?

was meant to meet up with a few for a spin, sense prevailed, the footpath across from me is still shimmering .

2.5hour turbo with 3* 20 minute efforts instead. enjoying my coffee now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭mal1

I'm lying on my couch. Road rash down my right thigh, left hand and right elbow. It's definitely icy out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

just did 90 mins around East Meath - main roads fine for the most part but still icy where the sun didn't get at it.

Still better than the turbo.

Going for a swim tomorrow.

mal1 wrote: »
    I'm lying on my couch. Road rash down my right thigh, left hand and right elbow. It's definitely icy out there.

Yikes :eek:

Although I turned around at Blakes Cross enroute to Rush just before that reported accident so I guess we can count our lucky stars

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 andy3695

Very slippy in Kells. I dont think many were brave enough to head out around here today. Havent got a turbo yet but getting very tempted.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭bbolger

mathie wrote: »
    How is howth head today?
    Anyone risk it?

Took a spin out that way from Skerries at 10am. Howth head was fine today if you don't mind sharing with all the runners. The 10K Fat Turkey race was on Sutton side up & down. There were hundreds out when I passed through just before the start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

2 years ago I crashed in the ice breaking my pelvis I said never again today I was talked into a short 50k spin up to Glencree (my own fault I know)but there is ice up there stay away people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭The Ging and I

I met lots of cyclists in Donegal and Monahan while I was driving a 4 wheel drive vehicle at 70kmh- because its not safe out there !
    A fall in ice is bad news at every level, apart from setting you back months your confidence will never recover. Cycle safe - use your head.

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    I think those snow studs are only designed for snow and ice conditions and not for patches of ice. I'd imagine they'd be slippery on wet tarmac creating a bigger hazard
    Studded tires are great on Black Ice. In fact, this, and hardpack are the best areas for stud use, they are largely wasted in deep snow.
    Studs will provide amazing traction in black ice, and the more studs the better. In fact, you can get down right cocky with the amount of traction you get, and that's when you find out that all good things have limitations. You still need to be careful with turns and braking. But you can at least consider using just a little front brake.

http://www.icebike.org/Articles/TechniquesBlackIce.htm

Some very good advice there!

Also:

http://www.icebike.org/Articles/howslippery.htm

Interesting they still don't mention the point I was making in that the studs might be slippy on wet tarmac. Common sense would surely tell you that rubber is stickier than steel.

Anyway I've no plans or desire to argue the pros & cons of studded tyres to each their own.

studs might be slippy on wet tarmac

True, but the they are only minimal % of the total contact area, the rest is still rubber.

Anyway I'll try to do some controlled braking tests tomorrow in phoenix park to see how they cope with various surfaces. Wish me luck ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

^^^^^^^^^

Good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

andy3695 wrote: »
    Very slippy in Kells. I dont think many were brave enough to head out around here today. Havent got a turbo yet but getting very tempted.

I chickened out myself and i'm not ashmed to say it, i'll go out in anything except ice so a bit of pain on the trainer, better than nothing.

If you're anywhere near a branch of halfords they're practically giving away magnetic turbo trainers,a must have for the icy winter days.
    http://www.halfords.ie/cycling/accessories/turbo-trainers/elite-magnetic-cycle-trainer

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭learn

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Just incase anyone is on the look out for snow tires I just came across this. £10.99 reduced from £39.99
    TYSCSNST_P1.jpg
    http://www.planetx.co.uk/deals

It's not only your own tyres you have to take into consideration, what about the traffic you will be meeting coming around the corners. To add to today's dangerous road conditions, you also had a blinding low sun all day.

• Advertisement
Advertisement