Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Begrudgery

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,302 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Three words - me, me and me!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 31,009 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

There's a whiff of Bertie there.

"Sitting on the sidelines, cribbing and moaning" etc.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Phew!! Glad he's not referring to me anyway - the likes of morana and Robfowl appear to be in his sights though :pac:

Think I spotted a mistake in his comments though

Should surely read:
    What followed was what McQuaid describes as “a lot of **** and underhand tactics” by the opposition me

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

And by me, I don't mean me, I mean ...
    Hermy wrote: »
    Three words - me, me and me!

Will be interested to hear what he's currently up to in the subsequent interview though, as I genuinely believe there are things within the sport where he can continue to contribute at a very high level. I for one would certainly be behind (and would actively support him if he would accept my support) if he turned his attention to something like securing the Worlds for Ireland over the next decade or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭morana

Beasty wrote: »
    And by me, I don't mean me, I mean ...

Will be interested to hear what he's currently up to in the subsequent interview though, as I genuinely believe there are things within the sport where he can continue to contribute at a very high level. I for one would certainly be behind (and would actively support him if he would accept my support) if he turned his attention to something like securing the Worlds for Ireland over the next decade or so.

Would you support me in trying to secure the worlds in Dublin?

• Advertisement

morana wrote: »
    Too bloody right I would .....

.... I actually think it's a more realistic aim than trying to get an annual World Tour event here. We showed last year what Ireland can deliver with the Giro, but I personally think we could put on a fantastic one-off event. I simply don't think the money is there for something every year though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Why on earth are people still asking about that topic? Get over it. It's done. Forget about it. Move on. Let the man get on with his life and let him have his thoughts (we all know what they are anyway). Waste of an article stirring the pot for no good reason.

Beasty wrote: »
    Too bloody right I would .....

Fcuking A! MoranA!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭morana

Well its a meagre €20m .....

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Why on earth are people still asking about that topic? Get over it. It's done. Forget about it. Move on. Let the man get on with his life and let him have his thoughts (we all know what they are anyway). Waste of an article stirring the pot for no good reason.
    I am happy to leave it there but he clearly feels the need to get it off his chest. If he's going to do that though he certainly shouldn't think he can simply blame it on everyone else while harping back to the good he has done (which I am more than prepared to give him credit for)

• Advertisement

Well its a meagre €20m .....

PTSB are getting back to basics with new loan offers...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭daragh_

This is actually annoying me the more I think about it. What exactly is the begrudgery from the Irish that he refers to? The fact that he had a class job? Nope. Well done for getting there. The fact that ... Nope, nope, nope.

The problem that we and so many other nations, except the Swiss, Thai and Moroccans, is that you were no longer up to the job. That's how simple in was Pat. The only begrudger is you.

It galls me that he is still trying in vain to spin what happened. More so that it is given the time of day by stickybottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Mec-a-nic

Begrudgery? This from the man in charge of the organisation who was still suing Paul Kimmage after their best friend Lance Armstrong was finally exposed? I agree with another poster, he should be left alone (and shut up already Pat, it's over.)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,179 ✭✭✭Junior

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »

Because a website like Sticky Bottle is only a few headlines away from becoming a Buzzfeed of Irish Cycling - "This Cyclist stopped eating fats, you won't believe what happened next - etc"

It's nickname suits it - Sticky Rumour.

Junior wrote: »
    Because a website like Sticky Bottle is only a few headlines away from becoming a Buzzfeed of Irish Cycling - "This Cyclist stopped eating fats, you won't believe what happened next - etc"

It's nickname suits it - Sticky Rumour.

Crapy Rumour!

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭531

I do not know and have never met Pat McQuaid. I have held flags at junctions for many Club events. PMcQ headed an organisation which was found to be lacking when dealing with what Greg Lemond (I think) called the greatest sporting fraud ever. When big organisations are found to be flawed, heads at the top roll.

Rather than a nation of begrudgers, I think CI members voted for what they felt was right, even if they do lose out greatly by not having an Irish UCI president.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

531 wrote: »
    Rather than a nation of begrudgers, I think CI members voted for what they felt was right, even if they do lose out greatly by not having an Irish UCI president.

Unlike many others, they took the high road rather than personal gain(the Irish cycling community). For those who were at the EGM, most of the words spoken about Pat were quite positive from the No side, just that he was not the man for this job. Not sure where he gets the begrudgery from, he wouldn't have been there in the first place if the Irish had not elected him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

Ascribing an external cause such as 'begrudgery' rather than questioning one's own actions is telling. He appears to lack the capacity for self-reflection. Could be egotism - an exceedingly rare trait for a politician!

For me, his biggest faux-pas was his robust defense of Armstrong's misdeeds on multiple occasions.

Shame it all came to the end it did. McQuaid did a lot of good for Irish cycling and I dare say his contributions were a net positive to world cycling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

I don't see why he's complaining about Ireland. Sure, he said himself that he is no longer a brave son of Eireann, and that his heart truly lies in Switzerland, Morocco, and/or Thailand. Doesn't moan about them not getting enough votes behind him to cling onto the big job!

• Advertisement

check_six wrote: »
    I don't see why he's complaining about Ireland. Sure, he said himself that he is no longer a brave son of Eireann, and that his heart truly lies in Switzerland, Morocco, and/or Thailand. Doesn't moan about them not getting enough votes behind him to cling onto the big job!

He probably does. Check out stickeyswisscheese.he or stickyherbalteasmokething.mo...

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭GlennaMaddy

Eamonnator wrote: »

Hate the man even more now

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭GlennaMaddy

Eamonnator wrote: »

Hate the man even more now

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,302 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

So much it had to be said twice.:D

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Advertisement