Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ice, ice baby

Comments

Koobcam wrote: »
    Today was grand (Newbridge-Dublin), a bit wet, but no ice and not particularly cold (compared to recent days). I basically use my car as a gauge-no ice at all this morning, so fine to ride. Forecast also says the temperatures will be up on the weekend, so might be able to get some good spins in then.

Interesting, what route do you take if you don't mind me asking? I've done the reverse route (in summer) but my routing took me over Bohernabreena/Brittas, so I've been avoiding any chance of ice so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Was up around Slade valley/Brittas last night -1.5 with no ice.....the rain/sleet cut the spin short. still 400m climbed..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,255 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Just watching the forecast... very cold and Fog this evening = much greater chance of black ice tomorrow morning...be careful out there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭ciotog

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Just watching the forecast... very cold and Fog this evening = much greater chance of black ice tomorrow morning...be careful out there!
    Boo, took the bike today and it was a joy to be back cycling. Thanks for the warning. Will review tomorrows trip cautiously, in the morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

Just in to the office, cold, but the roads were dry and no sign of ice anywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭cython

Wend D15 to D2 this morning, in the office about 20 mins and was taking it pretty handy admittedly (that's why it was slow, nothing to do with lack of training..... :pac:

The park was pretty foggy, and ground was wet most of the way in, but didn't seem as cold as the forecast/weather app estimate of -2, though maybe I was just wrapped up enough!

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Roads white with ice in the south east this morning. Everyone taking care. Didnt cycle but it seemed too risky, looking at how everyone in cars was handling it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭ciotog

cython wrote: »
    Wend D15 to D2 this morning, in the office about 20 mins and was taking it pretty handy admittedly (that's why it was slow, nothing to do with lack of training..... :pac:

The park was pretty foggy, and ground was wet most of the way in, but didn't seem as cold as the forecast/weather app estimate of -2, though maybe I was just wrapped up enough!
    Found it noticeably colder this morning (D5 to D4) but no issues with traction. Issues with lack of cycling :) (slope on the last bit of the journey was a real struggle)

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭MediaMan

Cycled this morning with some misgivings, but had no issues. Cold but no ice on route Goatstown-Clonskeagh-Donnybrook-Ballsbridge-Ringsend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

cython wrote: »

Same here - d15 to d2, but is takes me 30 odd minutes :)

Grand through the park. Is it just me or has someone spread salt on the cycle path in the really cold mornings?

Couldn't make out if it was that or some crunched up Ice. Wasn't taking any changes over it. Still took it handy on the bends on the path - seen a few mishaps at the ped crossing coming in from the castleknock gate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,138 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Grand through the park. Is it just me or has someone spread salt on the cycle path in the really cold mornings?
    Yes they have, damn killjoys. I loved that bend inbound after the top roundabout, it was a real test of smoothness and control.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Lumen wrote: »
    Yes they have, damn killjoys. I loved that bend inbound after the top roundabout, it was a real test of smoothness and control.

Yeah miss the odd drift around that one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Koobcam

Dónal wrote: »
    Interesting, what route do you take if you don't mind me asking? I've done the reverse route (in summer) but my routing took me over Bohernabreena/Brittas, so I've been avoiding any chance of ice so far.
    Main road towards Naas, take a left just before the town and take the road with the series of roundabouts (goes past the huge tesco near Sallins), then on to Johnstown, Kill etc. Then it's either the N7 to Rathcoole, or over Windmill hill if I'm not in a hurry, into Saggart, on to the N81, then on to UCD via Rathfarnham, Dundrum. It's a handy route as there's generally a tailwind (though not yesterday). If I'm really not pushed for time, I might also head towards Bohernabreena or maybe go via Kilteel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭cython

Same here - d15 to d2, but is takes me 30 odd minutes :)
    Sorry, should have been clearer, I was in the office about 20 mins when I posted, it took me a little over 30 to get in! :) Having said that I would say the traffic on the quays added a few mins on to that as I was stop start a bit when squeezing through seemed a bit dodgy.

Couldn't make out if it was that or some crunched up Ice. Wasn't taking any changes over it. Still took it handy on the bends on the path - seen a few mishaps at the ped crossing coming in from the castleknock gate.
    I avoid the cycle paths in general on the way in (hard shoulder is my preference, micro drive light is enough to be visible even in this morning's fog), and this is doubly true in icy conditions as the roads just seem much more likely to have had some treatment, even if just overspill from gritting the main lanes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,138 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

In case that post in any way conveyed a sense of smug superiority, I'll disclose that I fell off my bike coming back through the Park this evening.

Even more embarrassing, it happened because I was attempting to hop on to the footpad to skip the red light at Castleknock Gate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Around Blessington Lakes this morning -3C. Still ice visible on way to Lacken. Lucky it was on up hills rather than downhills. Sally Gap etc was a no go

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Icy off the main roads leaving town N11 way tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Slade valley was in the plus degrees last night but the roads were like glass had to walk a bit....
    Headed for Manor Kilbride -3.3 dry no ice on Lisheens towards Mooneys pub took a left over Butter mountain and at -2.4 it felt very warm.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 411 ✭✭Consey

I had one painful experience at that bend when coming off. Also have seen at least two others come off there. Even on Tues last ( I think it was Tues) everything else was clear but there was a nice patch of solid ice there that I spotted when upon it.

If there's any remote risk of ice I go Navan Road or main road in park. Don't get the same pleasure out if the 'drift' that you guys do !
    In case that post in any way conveyed a sense of smug superiority, I'll disclose that I fell off my bike coming back through the Park this evening.

Even more embarrassing, it happened because I was attempting to hop on to the footpad to skip the red light at Castleknock Gate.

This was the post I meant to reply to in my post above. Haven't managed to come off at the Castleknock gate ( yet !) !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

11c forecasted for Dublin on Sunday

Time to retire the winter gear already :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

I'd hold on to it for a bit longer. Max of only 4 or 5 on sat...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

cdaly_ wrote: »
    I'd hold on to it for a bit longer. Max of only 4 or 5 on sat...

Same, thinking of one of the canals tomorrow, though in fairness there could be a certain amount of using the weather as a cheap excuse to not haul my fat ass over the sally gap :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭g0g

Is road from Kilmac towards Roundwood still icy can anyone tell me? Thinking heading that way tomorrow at some stage buy don't know what state the Wicklow hills are in. Maybe coast road still a better bet south from Bray?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,484 ✭✭✭Macy0161

g0g wrote: »
    Is road from Kilmac towards Roundwood still icy can anyone tell me? Thinking heading that way tomorrow at some stage buy don't know what state the Wicklow hills are in. Maybe coast road still a better bet south from Bray?
    R755 has been gritted all week. Even the patch of ice where the stream crosses the long hill has gone most of this week.

Would the roads around the Phoenix Park be gritted? Thinking of doing some laps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Side roads in Meath were pretty crispy this morning - gave up after a couple of wobbles.

Should melt quite quickly when the sun gets up for anyone going out later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,011 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Jawgap wrote: »
    Side roads in Meath were pretty crispy this morning...
    Hopefully they'll be ok from mid-morning. (The Angel of Mons has been cancelled but I was thinking of doing some of the route anyway).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,160 ✭✭✭nilhg

Doesn't seem to have been any salting last night here in West Kildare, main roads are the worst I've seen this winter, hopefully the Sun will do it's work soon but be careful in shaded spots.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,569 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

About to head out from Celbridge. Anyone know what the roads are like?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,011 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

nilhg wrote: »
    Doesn't seem to have been any salting last night here in West Kildare, main roads are the worst I've seen this winter...
    Yes, much more likely to be done on week nights for early morning commuters, school runs etc. as County Councils try to stretch their gritting budget. I cycle to work regularly but the 3 occasions I've come off in black ice have been weekend mornings or bank holiday mornings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭barry75

roads where Icy with black ice in places on way into work this morning between ballinrobe and knock

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭uphillonly

Just back from club ride to Blessington from Dundrum staying on N81. Plenty of ice on the hard shoulder but main road was fine.

-1C out by Blessington at 11am.

Dónal wrote: »
    Would the roads around the Phoenix Park be gritted? Thinking of doing some laps.

Would v much doubt it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

Conditions down around Kinsale in Cork beautiful for cycling but then of course we're not that far from the Equator down here. It, as they say, is grim up north.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭johnruns

Anyone up around sally gap/wicklow gap today how is it looking any ice?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭simonrooneyzaga

johnruns wrote: »
    Anyone up around sally gap/wicklow gap today how is it looking any ice?

yr.no says its 7 degrees up there - going to head up now myself. Wind looks strongish but dont think there will be any ice

Lovely cycle today, I was sweating like a pig in me winter gear :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

Well I just came over Sally Gap from Laragh. No ice but a nasty crosswind in places. It was worst at the Featherbeds rather than the Gap itself. Garmin was reading 9.4C but visibility was crap with blowing drizzle and low clouds. 104km with 1,500m climbing.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Ice and frost are back again from Wednesday so make the most of today and tomorrow..

• Advertisement

Anybody out already in South dublin Wicklow area, what are the roads like. ?

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭jober

bazermc wrote: »

N81 is fine if heading that way,I was about to go around the lakes when a local farmer waved me down said it was bad on the higher grounds I took his word for it and stuck to the main roads,it's a nice sun out I'd say it'll thaw out by 12

bazermc wrote: »
    Went as far as the featherbeds yesterday morning.

Patches of snow and ice start when you get up towards the viewing point. Keep an eye out for black ice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 191 ✭✭connie_c

Went up cruagh road as far as the second bridge at around 10 this morning. Black ice at the left turn where it ramps up so turned back. Safe up to that height.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭devonp

anyone out Leixlip maynooth enfield this morning? ice? main roads?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

malahide road into town is fine, not a sight of ice at 6 this morning, no excuses now so see rule 5 and get on the bike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

stecleary wrote: »
    malahide road into town is fine, not a sight of ice at 6 this morning, no excuses now so see rule 5 and get on the bike

That's nuts, only a few k further inland it has been one of the more icy mornings, cars have that fuzzy ice on them, water used to defrost them pretty must freezes instantly when it drain onto the ground. Main roads are ok, minor ones slippy in places.

You guys with your fancy sea breezes

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,182 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

there's about three quarters of an inch of ice on our garden pond, and we're near DCU; everything was fuzzy white this morning.
    it was dry last night though, so black ice shouldn't be an issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Koobcam

-7 this morning in Newbridge, roads seem mostly ok, but still, I will stick to indoor cycling until things warm up a bit, riding in the dark combined with this type of cold is a bit dodgy I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Asides from my toes losing feeling about mid way through my commute through Dublin City centre it wasn't a bad morning at all.

• Advertisement
Advertisement