Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Short selling

Options
  • 19-09-2008 8:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭

I've been listening and reading to the various business reports from US, UK and Ireland regarding clampdowns on short selling.

The devil is in the details but ...

Is it the case that in the USA they have clamped down specifically on
    "naked short selling" - ie. where the broker or fund hasn't borrowed to
    cover their position at the time of the sale and has to then borrow to
    cover. In the UK and Ireland have they outlawed (for a fixed period)
    short selling of *any* kind on

a) the 4 main banks
    b) the entire ISEQ and FTSE indices respectively ?

I just find that the reporting on this side of the pond is a little ambiguous.

-ifc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

From what I've seen its just on the big 4

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

great timing for options expiration today, the "house" wins again

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

Ah, short-selling. The favourite scapegoat during financial crises.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

anyone like to explain to me what short-selling is?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Borrowing shares and selling them in the hope that the price will drop - if it does, i buy them back for less than i sold them, return them to the lender and pocket the difference - a profit for me. If i get it wrong and the shares increase in value, i have to pay more for them then i sold them at and i make a loss.

Why would someone lend shares? A fee and the hope that the shares will increase in value in the long term despite my short sale.

Usually in buying or selling shares, there is an exchange of paperwork that tracks the transaction - contract notes, share certificates etc. Short selling is open to abuse when the paperwork doesn't follow the transaction, leading to situations where more shares are sold short than actually are listed for a company.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭SoCal90046

It's selling something you don't own. I know it sounds weird, but every time you are running to the shop and someone gives you money to buy something, that's essentially a short sale. Of course, you buy the milk/bread/coffee at the shop and the "sale" is covered. If they're out of the product, you just give the money back, but that's essentially a short sale: you sell something you don't own. Farmers do it when they sell calves that aren't yet born; they also sell corn that's not yet grown. Short selling is really quite common if you think about it.

It sounds like a strange concept when you first hear it, but variations on the theme of short selling happen all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Mikel

silverharp wrote: »
    great timing for options expiration today, the "house" wins again
    how do you figure that.
    looking at the markets now it looks like shorts weren't the problem after all

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Mikel wrote: »
    how do you figure that.

it was something I was looking for to happen. The option sellers "The House" would have lost billions if the S/P for instance had stayed below 1200/1150, ie investors had hedged their portfolios by buying options. So any clever trader should have been expecting a news event to rally the market into Friday. So what happened was that the options expired worthless and the house keeps the premiums.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Mikel

silverharp wrote: »
    it was something I was looking for to happen. The option sellers "The House" would have lost billions if the S/P for instance had stayed below 1200/1150, ie investors had hedged their portfolios by buying options. So any clever trader should have been expecting a news event to rally the market into Friday. So what happened was that the options expired worthless and the house keeps the premiums.
    I'm afraid you don't understand options.

There is no 'House' selling options
    A bank that sells puts on a stock doesn't sit back and hope to keep the premium.
    They hedge by selling the underlying which means they were short the stocks which then rallied.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭SoCal90046

Mikel wrote: »
    how do you figure that.

My read was if there was short covering on Friday, then those long in call options would be at an advantage

• Advertisement
Advertisement