Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drug to curb alcohol dependence gets go-ahead

Options
  • 21-12-2012 2:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/drug-to-curb-alcohol-dependence-gets-go-ahead--217174.html
    In Ireland, research shows:

* Every seven hours, someone dies of analcohol-related illness;

* each night, a total of 2,000 hospital beds are occupied for alcohol-related reasons;

* alcohol-related problems cost Ireland about €3.7bn annually.

The drug will be used to help lower alcohol consumption in alcohol-dependent adults who are drinking heavily but have no physical withdrawal symptoms and do not require immediate detoxification.

Good news for those who can't quit by themselves.

Comments

I thought LSD was meant to be good for alcos.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

Fuck, I'd absolutely hate to die from an analcohol disease!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

LSD is pretty amazing for it actually. I wouldn't want to go near a drink for days after it, and you're just full of appreciation for people and the natural world and it's all a very good positive time. But pharma wouldn't like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

as long as its not forced on people who the powers will say 'cant decide for themselves' it will be grand

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

* Every seven hours, someone dies of analcohol-related illness;

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

This drug has been around since the 1970's but hasn't been available in the US since about 2006 - one wonders why.

It's a chemical cousin of naltrexone, another opioid receptor antagonist. Naloxone is another related drug. They have similar methods of action, which is nothing like what the Indo, God Bless them, describes. It doesn't stop a drinker drinking per se. It stops a drinker getting drunk and may in certain cases, trigger severe withdrawal symptoms. Unlike Antabuse (disulfiram) it doesn't poison the taker by interrupting the metabolising of alcohol and making them ill, but may have other adverse consequences.

I have yet to be convinced about the efficacy of this 'treatment' and would like to hear why its use has ceased in the USA.

OP's thread title is as mis-leading as the Indo article

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

Keno 92 wrote: »
    Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

ill drink to that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭donegal_road

I thought LSD was meant to be good for alcos.

back in the day, whenever I took LSD while drinking, it was like throwing pints into a barrel of sawdust.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,119 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

The only thing that keeps me off the booze is Weed, am it to assume weed is now legal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Was this the drug featured in Law and Order SVU?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

A relative of mine used to take Heminevrin. It helps with alcohol withdrawal symptoms.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

back in the day, whenever I took LSD while drinking, it was like throwing pints into a barrel of sawdust.

I really don't get this reference

• Registered Users Posts: 24,475 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

ColHol wrote: »

it takes a whole **** load of pints to make a difference and what comes out is a horrid sloppy mess

• Registered Users Posts: 20,411 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

eth2 wrote: »
    Hope it won't be like methadone - useless for anything but shipping tax payer's money to big pharma

I've heard of people who have swapped the drink for weed,don't know if they are any better off but I think I'd choose the weed if I had to pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭donegal_road

ColHol wrote: »

what I meant by that was, taking lsd increased my capacity for, and tolerance to alcohol to a huge extent

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Hope it won't be like methadone - useless for anything but shipping tax payer's money to big pharma

This is exactly what i was thinking - tax money going to supply state sponsored addicts with their fix. I'm all for helping people kick their addictions - but not just by replacing it with another and equally harmfull addiction that for some absolutely arbitrary reason is deemed legal!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Shryke wrote: »
    LSD is pretty amazing for it actually. I wouldn't want to go near a drink for days after it, and you're just full of appreciation for people and the natural world and it's all a very good positive time. But pharma wouldn't like that.

Alcohol is the cure for LSD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Hurricane Carter

Shryke wrote: »

Doesn't say much for someone who needs LSD for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Methadone is a very cheap drug, it is the services we provide that that push up the cost.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Does Alcohol related mean;

- Alcohol was the reason and without it the issue could possibly be avoided?
    - Alcohol was present in the patients system at the time?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

it doesn't satisfy the craving for heroin?

Advertisement