Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Another day, another James Reilly/FG scandal.

• 21-12-2012 11:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭

Dear oh dear oh dear.

When will Dr Reilly ever learn?
    HEALTH Minister James Reilly knew a site owned by one of his supporters was in line to be the location for a primary care centre months before he bumped the town it was situated in up a priority list.

Internal documents from the Department of Health show Dr Reilly was told by his officials about the site in Balbriggan in his Dublin North constituency.

The site was owned by Seamus Murphy, a Fine Gael supporter from Balbriggan, who was in NAMA.

A briefing document prepared for Dr Reilly before he met NAMA said: "A developer has identified a site in the town which is being used as a surface car park. GPs have committed to locate here.

"The site has been on the market for 10/12 weeks and the outcome of this process is awaited."

Dr Reilly met with NAMA on April 20 to discuss various sites that could be used for health purposes, such as for primary care centres and the children's hospital.

Dr Reilly previously told the Dail that Balbriggan was discussed, but specific addresses in the town were not. Minutes of the meeting say "progress at a number of PCC (primary care centres) was discussed", including Balbriggan.

The details are contained in documents obtained by Sinn Fein TD Pearse Doherty.

The minister's spokesman last night insisted that no specific addresses were discussed at the NAMA meeting.

Dr Reilly bumped Balbriggan and Swords up a priority list for primary care centres, which caused massive controversy and led to the resignation of Roisin Shortall as junior minister.

Dr Reilly last month admitted he included Balbriggan in the list as a safety net to ensure its primary care centre was built.

Doubts

There had been serious doubts hanging over the private development of the Balbriggan centre in the months before Dr Reilly put it on the priority list.

When asked if he included Balbriggan because there was a doubt over whether it would proceed, Dr Reilly told the Irish Independent: "Yeah, at the time there was a serious doubt about the lease arrangement going ahead. It looked like it was going to fall through."

Documents show the developer of the primary care centre, AJ Noonan, had been dealing with site owner Seamus Murphy and NAMA for months, but was becoming exasperated.

Dr Reilly was aware of negotiations on the site, but has maintained that he had no "hand, act or part" in the selection of the site.

Just what will it take for Dr Reilly to step aside, or be forced to step aside?

He continues to attract scandal after scandal, and I think Enda should be very careful with Reilly in his Govt.

If you lie down with dogs, you get up with fleas after all.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

This is old news. Politician in local votes shocker. Nothing remarkable, move along.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Reilly caught on tape about the whole scenario:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,571 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Obligatory Father Fintan Stack reference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

unfortunately nobody cares

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

davet82 wrote: »
    unfortunately nobody cares
    Ghandee cares enough for 10 men.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

People forget.

Before Ireland's favourite secondary school teacher was elected Taoiseach, many of his party colleagues tried to oust him from leadership.

It was O'Reilly & Big-Phil Hogan who led the counter-insurgancy and retained Kinny as leader.

Now its pay-back.

No matter how either perform they will never be removed from their ministerial office.
    Our Inda simply owes them too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

People forget.

Before Ireland's favourite secondary school teacher was elected Taoiseach, many of his party colleagues tried to oust him from leadership.

It was O'Reilly & Big-Phil Hogan who led the counter-insurgancy and retained Kinny as leader.

Now its pay-back.

No matter how either perform they will never be removed from their ministerial office.
    Our Inda simply owes them too much.

so two free passes to act the bollix...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

dvpower wrote: »
    Ghandee cares enough for 10 men.

I'm only caring on Enda's behalf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 WeNeed Another General Election

Ghandee wrote: »
    Dear oh dear oh dear.

When will Dr Reilly ever learn?

Just what will it take for Dr Reilly to step aside, or be forced to step aside?

He continues to attract scandal after scandal, and I think Enda should be very careful with Reilly in his Govt.

If you lie down with dogs, you get up with fleas after all.

if we hit the streets to demand he step down he'd be gone by this evening

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

if we hit the streets to demand he step down he'd be gone by this evening
    But you're not going to hit the streets, are you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Someone's going to have to explain the issue here like I'm a five year old. I suspect the article in the OP is deliberately written in such a way to avoid any potential defamation, but it just makes it confusing.

Here's what I'm getting;

- A briefing document is prepared on the PCCs, which includes details of the Balbriggan site, presumably along with a load of other sites.

- Reilly meets with NAMA for a discussion on the PCC along with other matters. He claims that the specific sites were not discussed, just the general locations. The minutes of the meeting do not contradict this.

- Reilly under rather suspect circumstances bumped Balbriggan and Swords on to the PCC list but not the specific sites on which they would be built

I'm presuming the author here and SF are attempting to imply that Reilly personally selected the FG supporter's site in Balbriggan as the location of a PCC, but know that they have so little evidence to back up this allegation that they won't say that?
    Am I understanding the issue correctly?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭sfwcork

His the biggest clown in the country.come june or july when the ps is behind target again he will bullsh!t everybody again and enda will lick behind his ear to show how much he loves him

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

davet82 wrote: »
    so two free passes to act the bollix...

...And as the Labour TD don't qualify for their life-time pensions till they are in power and/or elected for two years (March 2013) which is the qualifying deadline - don't expect Labour to do or say anything which might cause them to abandon their bullying political partners which is treating Labour the way the rest of the country is being used and abused.

After March - life in the Dail WILL get more interesting!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Though I imagine many of the government TDs are already well past their minimum two-years' service, it's an interesting observation Biggins. Definitely one to note if we start to see a sudden rise in dissent from the backbenchers (who are more likely to be first-termers) next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Fake snakes

Comments disabled.
    Their respite care grants cut as well I suppose.

Also lol at the extreme close-up halfway through and the "buzz" words that follow it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

seamus wrote: »
    Though I imagine many of the government TDs are already well past their minimum two-years' service, it's an interesting observation Biggins. Definitely one to note if we start to see a sudden rise in dissent from the backbenchers (who are more likely to be first-termers) next year.

Many indeed have qualified many times (as you note) - remember also just as FF got suck a kicking at the last election, the result was that a massive new number of first time elected TD's on FG and Labour side resulted from the electoral slaughter FF (rightly I feel) got.

Its those that the old brass knows will want to see out their two years at least and till then will shove their agendas pass to some extent before that timeline is reached.
    This includes the more controversial issues including the abortion and budget issues.
    (Had those two alone been tried to be pass in one year from now, those still in Labour alone might not have voted with the FG Mafia as wished I suspect.)

As we have seen, there is a sudden rush to get a number of laws enacted not just before Christmas but in the next few months. I don't think for one second they are doing it all in a rush out of the goodness of their cold hearts (which they are off now home for 23+ days on holiday for, to warm!).

Now there is news by the way of a cabinet re-shuffle in the next few months also.
    Guess which party might be offered choice positions in order to possibly keep them sweet and in line still after the two year pension deadline?
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/enda-kenny-hints-at-cabinet-reshuffle-within-six-months-3333625.html

Advertisement