Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leak in underground park ruined my car paint

Options
  • 01-04-2014 8:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Hi, my car parked in the underground of my building got some white liquid/foam on it from a leaking pipe over it and that ruined the shape of the car paint in some points, including traces on the windscreen.
    The management of the building gave me a car cleaner that didn't work on the paint and after they said they don't accept further liability regarding this issue, as they say there's a statement when you enter the car park telling that everything happens in there, it's not a their problem.
    However, they fixed the leak too.
    Could I do something to get my car fixed by the management?
    thank you in advance for the help!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

smanet wrote: »
    Could I do something to get my car fixed by the management?

The management company/ property manager has fobbed you off.

Time to see a solicitor now.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 smanet

The management company/ property manager has fobbed you off.

Time to see a solicitor now.

I was thinking about that, however, I don't know if I would have at least the law on my side.
    I would love to avoid to spend money with a solicitor for nothing.
    I'm in Cork, any recommendations?

I was thinking about that, however, I don't know if I would have at least the law on my side.
    That's why you should see a solicitor. Let's just say that this wouldn't be the first time that something like this has happened.
    You can expect to pay for the first consultation. Many solicitors allow the first consultation for free, but many don't. It won't break the bank for a consultation. You can ask about who is likely to have to pay your costs, if matters proceed.
    I'm in Cork, any recommendations?
    I'd probably get banned from the forum if I did that, sorry. Forum charter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Was it definately from a leaky pipe ? Could it be lime from the concrete ?

That's why you should see a solicitor. Let's just say that this wouldn't be the first time that something like this has happened.

You can expect to pay for the first consultation. Many solicitors allow the first consultation for free, but many don't. It won't break the bank for a consultation. You can ask about who is likely to have to pay your costs, if matters proceed.

I'd probably get banned from the forum if I did that, sorry. Forum charter.

Thank you anyway for the suggestion. I'm not Irish, so that's why I asked for a little help, even recommendations :)

• Advertisement

Swanner wrote: »
    Was it definately from a leaky pipe ? Could it be lime from the concrete ?

It was, they somehow diverted the leak flow to another direction and they provided to me a car cleaner.
    They said that it should be calcium, however I have it on my windscreen too, I took the car to the car wash and tried a couple of detergents for windows, it's still there.

• Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭Wheelnut

I think the first thing you need to do is to get an estimate of how much it is going to cost to repair the damage.

If you have comprehensive insurance the company may pay for the repair and recover the money from the building owners. If the money is recovered there would be no effect on your no-claims bonus.

If you don't have comprehensive insurance and the cost of repair is small, it may be a matter for the small claims court. (Someone else here will confirm if it is a suitable case)

If none of this applies, take the repair estimate with you when you go to a solicitor.

Wheelnut wrote: »
    I think the first thing you need to do is to get an estimate of how much it is going to cost to repair the damage.

If you have comprehensive insurance the company may pay for the repair and recover the money from the building owners. If the money is recovered there would be no effect on your no-claims bonus.

If you don't have comprehensive insurance and the cost of repair is small, it may be a matter for the small claims court. (Someone else here will confirm if it is a suitable case)

If none of this applies, take the repair estimate with you when you go to a solicitor.

Unfortunately I don't have a comprehensive insurance, that's why I'm checking if this case is suitable for a solicitor or court or if I can do something myself to recover the costs. I will visit a car repair or body shop soon to estimate it.
    Regardless of the cost of the operation, I didn't like that they said: we don't accept any liability for that.

I'm checking if this case is suitable for a solicitor or court or if I can do something myself to recover the costs.

I'd forgotten about the Small Claims Court. link
    Type of claims dealt with

(a) a claim for goods or services bought for private use from someone selling them in the course of a business (consumer claims)
    (b) a claim for goods or services bought for business use from someone selling them in the course of a business (business claims)
    (c) a claim for minor damage to property (but excluding personal injuries)
    (d) a claim for the non-return of a rent deposit for certain kinds of rented properties. For example, a holiday home or a room / flat in a premises where the owner also lives provided that a claim does not exceed €2,000.

http://www.courts.ie/rules.nsf/0c609d7abff72c1c80256d2b0045bb64/64034533c237933d802576a5003a81c7?OpenDocument

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Lmklad

Small claims is a good idea. Most Citizen Advice Centres have a type of free legal aid advice service. I'd go there, they can point you in the right direction and it's free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

It was, they somehow diverted the leak flow to another direction and they provided to me a car cleaner.
    They said that it should be calcium, however I have it on my windscreen too, I took the car to the car wash and tried a couple of detergents for windows, it's still there.

I only ask because the same thing happened to me at my work carpark. Like you, it was also on the windscreen. 2 Carwashes had no effect on any of it. I made a complaint and as it was being processed the rain actually washed it off. There was no subsequent damage and i dropped the claim.

Makes you wonder what's in our rain !!

I was reading some articles on internet and maybe I can safely restore the conditions using a mix of vinegar and water.
    But, again, I don't accept that anybody is taking care of this issue.
    I would like to thank you to everybody that replied with useful suggestions, I will decide how to proceed shortly.

Advertisement