Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pink toys for girl/Blue toys for boys.

Options
  • 07-02-2014 6:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

So as you might have heard awhile ago, Toys R Us, vowed to do away with gender stereotyped toys, deeming them sexist. Which is admirable, but at the same time there's obviously something else going on, probably to do with money. This article might be something to do with it.

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/womens-blog/2014/feb/06/children-dont-want-sexist-pink-blue-toys

Anyway, it got me thinking, how much would the world change as a result of this change from toy giants? We know how much toys impact how kids are developed. So if the barrier is broken, could that contribute to the potential end of sexism? Or at least reduce it, however one measures that.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,052 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I seem to recall reading that sometime in the 19th (?) century the colours were the opposite way round, baby boys wore pink and girls, blue.

I just checked that up, apparently it was only slightly true, colours were interchangeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭MaxWig

Whether it will help to end sexism or not, it can only serve to enrich the lives of children, by freeing them of the burden of gender stereotyping.

That can't be a bad thing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭robp

MaxWig wrote: »
    Whether it will help to end sexism or not, it can only serve to enrich the lives of children, by freeing them of the burden of gender stereotyping.

That can't be a bad thing.

Sounds like an imaginary oppression if you ask me.

Advertisement