Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2014 Brides

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,144 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

stinkle wrote: »
    We aren't 100% about DIY-ing the wine, so corkage needs to be enquired about. My only gripe with the venue is they dont offer a menu choice unless you pay extra. It was my number 1 "if we can afford it" extra, but really we're all still only getting the one dinner! If anything, I'd rather pay for extra canapes instead. Also, food-wise, we're getting basic evening food in our package (sambos/cocktail sausages/ta and coffee), is there any need for extras there?

When I asked about corkage it was the same price as they were charging for a bottle of wine so went with theirs!
    Evening is sambos and cocktails sausages too - don't think anything else is needed unless you really want to spend more money/
    To be truthful I would prefer a menu choice than extra 'cocktail hour' food but thats just me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

Well the choice works out cheaper than nibbles for everyone! Will see after the tasting anyway. I might just ask what they can do - if we pay for an extra course can we get reduced rate on canapes for example. Our ceremony is at 3 and people don't have to travel too far so might get away with less food at drinks reception. Afters will have cake too!

Oh's parents offered to sort the wine but I was pricing stuff yesterday and with corkage it doesn't seem a whole lot cheaper than just going with their package.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

stinkle wrote: »
    Our invites came on Friday. I DIY'ed them on a template site but I rather stupidly forgot to leave a space to write the guests names on, but I think it's all good. They read just fine and we'll be seeing most people as hand delivering as many as possible.

This sounds like a good idea.. may I ask what site you used?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

Zazzle.com. I haven't seen them mentioned much on any message boards. There was one snag and it was that the shipping was a lot, BUT we opted for the express option and the supplier was based in the US. I'm sure if you found someone closer on the site it'd work out less. It all came to just over 200 quid all in for 110 invites and 50 RSVP cards with basic white envelopes.

Also, keep an eye out for specials on their site - e.g. Valentines discount codes. At the mo theres a Paddys day one - I'm raging we missed that too but were in a hurry to get them here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Typer Monkey

xzanti wrote: »
    This sounds like a good idea.. may I ask what site you used?

I used Nowyouprintwedding.ie and I really recommend them. I got 100 flat card invites with envelopes for €85 and the delivery was free. There's loads of designs to pick from and you customise the wording to say what you like. I put an email address and my number for texts for RSVPS and so didn't bother with RSVP cards but you can get those matching too if you like

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭grainuaile

Hi ... two weeks to go and I need help with two final "problems"! Firstly, I'm looking for something along the lines of a Range Rover to hire for OH & groomsmen to get to the venue. It would need to be self drive as there are four of them, so we'd like to be able to pick it up on the thursday evening and probably return it then on the saturday. We live close to knock airport so i thought we might get one there but the rent-a-car places there only seem to do pretty standard cars. Its not a massive problem, they won't have to walk whatever happens, but just thought it would be nice for them to travel in style seeing as they get a bit overlooked in the whole thing! and i will be staying at the venue the night before so i don't need transport.
    Secondly - don't laugh - I need a suit for the dog. I bought a tux online from a NI company, got xxl as he is a rather overweight golden retriever but when it came you'd have to laugh at the size of it, he wouldnt fit a leg through the neck hole :) the site is called urbanpup.ie and turns out it is literally for pups, i didnt think the name was relevant! Thing is with just the two wks to go and two wknds in that time, i can't rely on ebay or amazon as i have been left waiting ages for stuff from them. I'm thinking someone somewhere must have a used one at home that they won't have further use for?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Just a quick google for the car brought up this - http://europe.hireluxurycar.com/rent-land-rover

No advice on the dog.

5 weeks until I can start dress shopping... well maybe 6/7 weeks... won't be leaving the hospital and going straight to the bridal shops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Had our cake tasting yesterday, broke out in a rash yesterday evening, went to the docs today & she said it was an allergic reaction. Had to have been on of the cakes as I'd nothing else out of the ordinary, just hoping it wasn't any of the ones we chose for our cake:eek:
    If only I'd known all these years I was allergic to cake I wouldn't have had to spend all that money on Slimming World:P
    Got my hair extensions in today also, finding it hard to get used to such long hair, all worth it hopefully!
    This time 2 weeks we'll have just had our first dance & be getting ready to dance the night away :D

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭grainuaile

Thanks January, I have submitted their enquiry form twice with no reply, I've just sent an email now and see will that produce anything.

• Advertisement

Booked my photographer today wohoo :D

January wrote: »

Had my final meeting with mine this evening, all starting to feels so real:eek:

Ms2011 wrote: »
    Had my final meeting with mine this evening, all starting to feels so real:eek:

We're taking a bit of a chance with ours because he's never done a wedding before but he's doing us a great price and his other work is brilliant... but at the end of the day if photographers don't get the chance they don't get the experience so we'll take a punt.

Sure my mam wants my uncle to use his point and shoot to photograph us... so it's a step up in so many ways.

I've actually had my pic taken by our photographer before at another event & 2 of those pics are the only ones I use as my Facebook profile pic as they are the only ones I feel I look half decent in so he gets the thumbs up from me haha!!:P

Do you mind me asking when your big day is? I haven't even started looking properly at photographers yet..

Mines not til next year though... Actually, at this exact moment on this day next year I'll be walking down the aisle :eek: :D

It's on New Years Eve xzanti... I booked it last May and until now we haven't really done much except book the hotel, the DJ and the photographer... I'm waiting until after the baby is born for everything else.

• Advertisement

It's on New Years Eve xzanti... I booked it last May and until now we haven't really done much except book the hotel, the DJ and the photographer... I'm waiting until after the baby is born for everything else.

Wow double congrats for you :D

Wow double congrats for you :D

We've a busy year ahead of us, mostly good but some not good, my eldest daughter will be having open heart surgery not long after the baby is born so we have that to get through before the wedding too. Crazy year and it's all come at once!

We've a busy year ahead of us, mostly good but some not good, my eldest daughter will be having open heart surgery not long after the baby is born so we have that to get through before the wedding too. Crazy year and it's all come at once!

Wow that is a lot for you.. it will make your day that bit more special though, you can all breath a sigh of relief together :)

Wow that is a lot for you.. it will make your day that bit more special though, you can all breath a sigh of relief together :)

True :) She's a flower girl, along with her sisters, so she's looking forward to it.

Bestman's waistcoat drama today, never send a man to do a woman's job, lesson learned:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Himself is insisting on picking his own suit, we'll see :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Bestman's waistcoat drama today, never send a man to do a woman's job, lesson learned:rolleyes:
    Himself is insisting on picking his own suit, we'll see :p

My OH was not involved in my suit, and won't be because she doesn't need to be. If your man cannot be let out on his own then fair enough but it's not a necessity for a woman to attend.

I walked in, knew what suit I wanted, what colour I wanted, said I needed 5 of those, shoes, shirts, ties etc, paid a deposit and left. It's not rocket science. I will go back in 3 weeks before the wedding with the material cutting to match it to a tie. It's not rocket science.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

I went suit shopping yesterday with my OH, not because I don't think he should be let out alone but because we actually like doing these things together.

bee06 wrote: »
    I went suit shopping yesterday with my OH, not because I don't think he should be let out alone but because we actually like doing these things together.

My OH will come to the suit shop in a few weeks when she has her next fitting as they're across the road from each other, but only if she wants to but she's not really bothered.

Some people think the bride needs to be there. 2 suits shop were reluctant to talk to me about suits and one Jeweller out and out refused to show me their wedding bands.

Collected our specially made rings yesterday actually.

Beer Baron wrote: »
    My OH was not involved in my suit, and won't be because she doesn't need to be. If your man cannot be let out on his own then fair enough but it's not a necessity for a woman to attend.

I walked in, knew what suit I wanted, what colour I wanted, said I needed 5 of those, shoes, shirts, ties etc, paid a deposit and left. It's not rocket science. I will go back in 3 weeks before the wedding with the material cutting to match it to a tie. It's not rocket science.

It's not the suit, a suits a suit really it's the bestmans waistcoat & tie, it's supposed be coral to match the bridesmaids dress. Gave OH a pic of the dress & left him to order it, it came in last week, bestman got fitted for it yesterday OH comes home with a pic of it on the bestman & it's ORANGE, not coral, orange like the fruit:eek:
    My heart sank when I seen it & it's too late to re-order, looks like the bestman will end up wearing an ivory waistcoat & tie now. €160 down the drain:(

Oh I was only joking... my OH has had a lot of input into the day so far. To be fair I haven't even looked at suits for him, he's shown me a few pictures and I've told him whether I liked them or not but he has a pretty fair idea of what he likes himself.

He's also in the middle of picking out songs for the ceremony and he picked the cake too.

It's not the suit, a suits a suit really it's the bestmans waistcoat & tie, it's supposed be coral to match the bridesmaids dress. Gave OH a pic of the dress & left him to order it, it came in last week, bestman got fitted for it yesterday OH comes home with a pic of it on the bestman & it's ORANGE, not coral, orange like the fruit:eek:
    My heart sank when I seen it & it's too late to re-order, looks like the bestman will end up wearing an ivory waistcoat & tie now. €160 down the drain:(

I was weighing up Coral and Orange in my mind and had to Google it to be sure, I am a bloke after all. I knew they were a million miles apart. :rolleyes:

When I was in the suit shop the tailor wouldn't let you out the door until everybody was sure the colours were a match. I told him ours is Mulberry and the colours he had were either too dark or light, in some cases different because it was either a satin or organza material, but they are getting in 100 new colours soon so I'll wait.

My suit is a 3 piece single material/colour suit so the waistcoat is the same colour and material as the suit itself which makes things easier. The only fly in the ointment was the small suit for my nephew, they only do it in a 2 piece which means I had to get a waistcoat for the child. Easily solved. Flower Girls are wearing Ivory to match the bride so Ivory it is.

I had a similar colour issue with the hotel because their seat bows are too light or dark for mulberry. As the seat covers are white we cannot have ivory as it would look stupid so the choice is/was gold or silver. It will have to be silver because the BMs shoes and accessories are silver and there's no gold anywhere in the day. :rolleyes:

The hotel wedding coordinator has never met the bride. Initially she thought it was odd but has gotten over it. She will meet her at some stage, maybe but there are hotels all around the world who never see the groom till the wedding day so why should it be different the other way around. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

Beer baron - did you get the rings made in the Limerick area??(I note you post on the Limerick forum). We got my engagement ring made in Topaz on catherine street ( we used a diamond that had been belong to my step dad who has passed away) and might go down the same route for the wedding rings themselves.

On the topic of the mens suits my OH knows exactly what he wants and I hadn't even imagained I was supposed to even go the mens suits shop!!!!

Went to a travel agents to today to enquire about honeymoon, I would usually book our holidays online myself but have never booked anything stateside.

I had a bit of research done and it what we want looks to be about 2 - 2,500. Anyway went to the travel agent to ask about the same type holiday and she tried not to laugh at our budget and told me what we want will cost about 4 - 4500!!!!!!! Back to online booking for me.

I picked the rings up yesterday from Topaz Jewellers. Under budget, better material, heavier with more "stones" than other places.

Highly recommended for Rings. It was 4 weeks from when we placed the order.

• Advertisement

Topaz did a fab job with engagement ring. Exactly what we wanted, will probably just go back to him. We were quoted 1500 for the same job in a jewellers in town, he did a better job for less than a third of that quote!

We got the engagement ring in Shannon before we heard of topaz. He has not online presence so without word of mouth we didn't know.

Shannon was expensive but his work top notch. Topaz has the same quality but about 1/3rd cheaper.

Shannon said "he probably uses a lighter metal" turns out his rings were heavier than there's. Talked themselves out of the rings really. Lol

We got the engagement ring in Shannon before we heard of topaz. He has not online presence so without word of mouth we didn't know.

Shannon was expensive but his work top notch. Topaz has the same quality but about 1/3rd cheaper.

Shannon said "he probably uses a lighter metal" turns out his rings were heavier than there's. Talked themselves out of the rings really. Lol

My partner tried to haggle with the guy in Topaz and he just looked at my partner and said in a deadpan voice 'when you see the ring you will be more than happy to pay for it'! And as it happens when we went looking at wedding rings the people in the shops were impressed with the band on my engagement ring.

He rounded ours down by €50 but saved a total of €350 below our budget price. We are thrilled as we can afford a second wedding car for the bridesmaids now.

He rounded ours down by €50 but saved a total of €350 below our budget price. We are thrilled as we can afford a second wedding car for the bridesmaids now.

Every euro counts! We eliminated wedding cars, gonna ask friends/family with nice cars to do the honours, we have someone on line to valet said cars for free if needs be.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭LNH666

Birdie086 wrote: »
    Went to a travel agents to today to enquire about honeymoon, I would usually book our holidays online myself but have never booked anything stateside.

I had a bit of research done and it what we want looks to be about 2 - 2,500. Anyway went to the travel agent to ask about the same type holiday and she tried not to laugh at our budget and told me what we want will cost about 4 - 4500!!!!!!! Back to online booking for me.

Try hotwire.com, we use that site a good bit for booking hotels for holidays. We once managed to get a 5star hotel on International Drive in Orlando for $50/night for the 2 of us. Happy days.

LNH666 wrote: »
    Try hotwire.com, we use that site a good bit for booking hotels for holidays. We once managed to get a 5star hotel on International Drive in Orlando for $50/night for the 2 of us. Happy days.

I went to another Travel agent and we got a fab holiday for our money. Four nights vegas, two nights miami, and a seven night cruise to jamaica, bahamas, mexico for 3,000 euro all in. We havent paid deposit yet though so might check out hotwire.com first.

Wow, that's amazing value! I'm getting quotes for nearly 2 grand for 5 days in Vegas... It is Jan 2015 though... (Wedding is NYE) so I think that's why it's so expensive.

Wow, that's amazing value! I'm getting quotes for nearly 2 grand for 5 days in Vegas... It is Jan 2015 though... (Wedding is NYE) so I think that's why it's so expensive.

NYE here as well, but not leaving for honeymoon till the 11th of jan, so that made the flights more reasonable. I may go back to work for the week inbetween or maybe not. we shall see, I have an aunt coming from australia with her children, so it suits me to be around for the week after the actual wedding.

• Advertisement

Ohhh that's a good idea... We're flexible with dates too so will have a look at the second/third week of January.

Ohhh that's a good idea... We're flexible with dates too so will have a look at the second/third week of January.

It was the travel agents suggestion, I would usually book things online myself but this is too big an undertaking to do myself. Was asking a customer from my job what he thought(he travels backwards and forwards to states regularly) and he thinks we are getting great value for our money. I dont know where you are based but I could pm you her(the travel agent) details if you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Henwin

can anyone tell me the HSE website that we need to book our HSE appointment. cant seem to locate it.

Henwin wrote: »
    can anyone tell me the HSE website that we need to book our HSE appointment. cant seem to locate it.

http://www.hse.ie/go/marriage/

Birdie086 wrote: »
    It was the travel agents suggestion, I would usually book things online myself but this is too big an undertaking to do myself. Was asking a customer from my job what he thought(he travels backwards and forwards to states regularly) and he thinks we are getting great value for our money. I dont know where you are based but I could pm you her(the travel agent) details if you want.

That would be great if you could. I'm in Dublin 15.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭LNH666

That sounds like a great deal. We get married in June. Have a 3 night stay in Edinburgh just after the wedding. A week in Slovenia in July and 5 weeks backpacking & inter-railing in Europe. Neither of is did it when we were students and have always wanted to.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Slaygal

Hello All,
    September Bride. Photographer booked, Solemniser booked and Venue booked.
    Ordered a potential dress online last week so fingers crossed.

Birdie086 could you please send me the name of your travel agent ?

Started a boot camp 2 weeks ago fingers crossed it works.

We used Topflight last year, who are normally the most expensive out there.

Beat everybody. 9 nights in Honeymoon Suite(best room in hotel so booked it even though not Honeymoon) in Cancun in 4* All Inclusive Hotel, 4 nights in Las Vegas in a Standard Hotel, all flights included, taxes etc. €3,500

Some prices people quoted us were actually laughable and bordered on laziness by some of them just plucking the first price they see. At least at home you can search and search till you find whats suits you. I know they don't have the time, they need to sell you one and move to the next customer.

This year, for our Honeymoon, we're heading out to Lanzarote for 11 nights, renting Villa, and then later we are heading to London and splashing out on a 5* hotel for 3 nights. :D

Went to wedding evening in our hotel and booked an LED dance floor :eek:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Went to wedding evening in our hotel and booked an LED dance floor :eek:

Is that something like this?

1450235_518919981473577_1787493270_n.jpg

If so, how much is it and what company is it through? I really want one, but they seem fairly pricey and the company I've been looking at haven't replied to 2 emails about it.

Yep, that's exactly it. Booked through this place and it cost €600 for an 18ft x 18ft one.

• Advertisement
Advertisement