Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Subject choice help?

Options
  • 16-03-2013 3:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

If i wanted to have career in computers like computer programming or game design , which subjects would be necessary for my leaving cert?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭kingcobra

I'd imagine Maths would help somewhat, along with Art, which probably spurs your imagination. I don't think programming or game design specifically requires any subjects anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

If you are good at maths, physics would probably be a good choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭maughantourig

Unfortunately, there is no LC subject which really gives a grounding in programming.

Although most/all such courses will have a certain amount of maths, its 'problem-solving' which they apparently want.

You don't need to be a genius at maths, but it certainly helps if you enjoy the subject.

Maths, Physics, Applied Maths, and to a lesser extent, DCG, all require decent 'problem-solving' skills and so are probably the most relevant subjects to these courses.

Again, you do not need to be a genius with numbers as long as you have an interest in solving numerical problems.

Advertisement