Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What gives you hope?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Platinum2010

Nothing . I used to be a humanist and have officially lost all faith on humanity

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭MsBojangles

Nothing . I used to be a humanist and have officially lost all faith on humanity

:rolleyes:....

What gives me hope is knowing that our community is moving forward and we've come along way :)

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Conor30

Why?

Back on topic please. Whether or not someone is an attention seeker is irrelevant here.

• Advertisement

Chaz Bono's Confession to My Transgender Step-son - an interview with Chaz Bono by a woman and her trans stepson.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

The fact that someone in there voting on stuff actually understands

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭histories

When you look back at history and see how various groups have been treated and how eventually acceptance came, well that gives me hope. Not just for LGBT but for all of humanity really. It is a sad fact of human nature that such acceptance tends to take a long time, sometimes too long but it does come. A little more tolerance and compassion please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

I know this is fairly dorky and probably cliche, but I got really into Placebo around the time that I came out and got with my first girlfriend. I think it would have been a lot harder to do either of those things without the positive reinforcement of music that made being a deviant not only "ok" but cool, exciting, and incredibly sexy. It made you feel as if you were lucky to be blessed with the sexual dexterity to not be bound to the narrow seeming range of what most people found attractive or wanted to do sexually.

it gave a strut to the idea of not being straight.

this ad was a little later, but I think it got the idea across very nicely

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

God I remember that ad.

I also remember a DJ on my local radio station in the mid-90's getting in a request for Placebo, and saying

"And here now we have a song by a great band, I love them, called Place-Bo"

Like it was two words, "place" and "bow".

Ah, CKR. No wonder we all listened to LW Atlantic 252!!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,880 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

Just seen Washington became the 7th state in the US to legalize gay marriage during the week....one at a time, all progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,952 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

what a wonderful thread!!! Thank you everybody for the posts!!

For me it's this that gives me hope.
    http://www.itgetsbetter.org

And one of the songs that are with me forever. Smalltown boy by Bronski Beat

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xuz94ZIPfJk

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Aurongroove

For me it's intelligent people who, discovering I am gay on a night out or a social evening, blatantly admit they are homophobic in front of me and upon request engage in a proper conversation about why they 'hate gays'.

I have yet to meet a person who did this with whom I wasn't shaking hands with by the end of the night.

If I were homophobic/sexist/racist I would, (I suspect) ask a Homosexual/woman/ethnic minority to listen to my complaints (at the risk of getting my head smashed in) and for them to rebut or argue that I might learn or be enlightened.

But then again, I suppose that's why those humble and honest enough to admit their ignorance bravely, even when they don't see it as ignorance spend very little time actually being homophobic/sexist/racist once they actually have a conversation about it.

it's one of the most beautiful things in the world seeing a person look at you with confusion and even disgust, have their brain light up after a gentleman's discussion, and the confusion and disgust makes way for reason, enlightenment and shades of apologetic embarrassment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭diddlybit

Resurrecting this thread because sometimes it's good to watch something that makes you feel all squidgy inside, even when the world seems like a spinning sphere of bigotry.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uv6mp6K1AKU

The guy has the best smile ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭LittleBook

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dave-dad/a-fathers-reaction-to-his-very-young-gay-son_b_1381573.html

That's a heart warming story. Read the article linked in the first paragraph before reading this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Asry

codeine & alcohol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭TylerIE

This is from the same School district where 13 year old Asher Brown died by suicide 18 months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

Can't find a video of this so gifs will have to do.
    tumblr_m4402lQOZh1qa64cwo1_250.giftumblr_m4402lQOZh1qa64cwo2_250.gif
    tumblr_m4402lQOZh1qa64cwo3_250.giftumblr_m4402lQOZh1qa64cwo4_250.gif

Just came from a council of europe training course. The course was about how young people can challenge/combat hate speech online within a human rights based framework. There were 30 incredible people there including people who have been jailed and had death threats for standing up for human rights violations. Their creativity, dynamism, courage, intellectual beauty, campaigning, dissenting voices, solidarity and values inspire me and give me hope.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Silvics

Having been involved in the whole AIDS epidemic, seeing friends wither and die, see the hate and vitriol directed at PWAs and gays, government inaction, public fear, bigotry.....although not over, we've come a long, long way.
    I loved the series "Angels in America", and watch it a couple of times a year. The music is inspiring.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭KDII

My girlfriend finished a really tough course tonight. Decided to surprise her with a little party (as in her, me and the dog).

Went to the local shop and bought a few things for a night in (new nice pjs, some nice foody bits, oblig wine, chocolate etc and flowers). Probably a bit obvious to everyone my gameplan... Laying it on pretty thick to be fair.

My HOPE but started when I joined the queue for the checkout and got a kind of knowing look from a couple in front of me. Then the woman comments on the flowers being nice and she remembered when her husband used to pick up "nice" things in the shop. Bit red faced at this stage.

The guy at the till was about my age (21-22ish) and had the look of those guys who usually approach us on nights out when it's clear we are a couple and either ask us to kiss on demand or (bizarrely) if we are sisters. He was really sweet and full of questions about what the special occasions was etc and I got a good luck and a high five with my change.

Just a random one, am at that stage where just seeing my relationship acknowledged outside our little bubble is lovely. I especially liked the middle aged couple, about my parents age. Made me see how different Ireland is from the one their parents grew up in etx etc que warm fuzzy feelings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ALittleBossy

The other day at school a student made her presentation about Gays and the discrimination they (we) face, and then she was asking students what was their favorite color and when the students replied- Orange, pink- she replied -I don't care- (not the perfect analogy, I know) and then she asked a male student how he felt about her being rude and he said- I felt bad because you were making fun of something I like and that I cannot change- and everyone laughed and then everyone said positive comments about being gay and being allowed to get married so that kinda make me happy since that's the attitude I'm seeing more and more, an attitude of acceptance.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Silvics

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭KDII

So Washington has recognized gay partnership!

On the first day this law came into action there was supporters outside instead of protesters.

This pleases me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭lazorgirl

KDII wrote: »
    So Washington has recognized gay partnership!

On the first day this law came into action there was supporters outside instead of protesters.

This pleases me.
    really liked this photo too.
    530326_10151311501925516_2115449345_n.jpg

Advertisement