Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is this?

Options
  • 03-11-2009 4:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭

I could be asking a stupid question here, but I'm wondering as t what this is...

12137_308995980175_805400175_9538827_5370261_n.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

brent goose ? (with a bit of pigeon )

• Registered Users Posts: 21,427 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Not an expert, but with those pink feet, could it be a Greylag? There's also the Pink-footed goose, but I don't think we get those here.

http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/birdguide/name/g/greylaggoose/index.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

The Greenland White Fronted Goose looks similar too .
    Can any experts tell us what is the difference between the Grey Lag and the Greenland White Fronted Goose?

http://www.birdwatchireland.ie/Default.aspx?tabid=153

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Sundew wrote: »
    The Greenland White Fronted Goose looks similar too .
    Can any experts tell us what is the difference between the Grey Lag and the Greenland White Fronted Goose?

http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/birdguide/name/w/whitefrontedgoose/index.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭stevensi

Looks like it is a dometicated goose (that has got free) doubt it is a wild bird. I don't think you'd ever get that close to a Greylag in the wild. There are small pockets of feral geese around the country. I'm close to the Liffey around islandbridge and there are three geese down there all the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

stevensi wrote: »
    Looks like it is a dometicated goose (that has got free) doubt it is a wild bird. I don't think you'd ever get that close to a Greylag in the wild. There are small pockets of feral geese around the country. I'm close to the Liffey around islandbridge and there are three geese down there all the time.

I have often seen them 3 geese. Lovely birds!
    The swans always chase them away :D

Here are the lads on the Liffey which I took last year. sorry about the quality.

2759378230102176936S425x425Q85.jpg

2344004720102176936S425x425Q85.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Christmas Dinner? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

Christmas Dinner? :D

Not condoned by the Mods... but tasty :p!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

I could be asking a stupid question here, but I'm wondering as t what this is...

12137_308995980175_805400175_9538827_5370261_n.jpg

Was the picture taken near Killaloe in Clare or along the stretch of the river Shannon between Castleconnell and UL?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Kess73 wrote: »
    Was the picture taken near Killaloe in Clare or along the stretch of the river Shannon between Castleconnell and UL?

Strangely enough it was! It was actually taken in Castleconnel. I don't know what the name of the place is, just after the Castle Oaks on the right hand side. Obviously a native of there, or do you know me? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Strangely enough it was! It was actually taken in Castleconnel. I don't know what the name of the place is, just after the Castle Oaks on the right hand side. Obviously a native of there, or do you know me? :)

Nope don't know you, but I know the stretches of water that I named quite well, as well as the wildlife in those areas.

What you have in your pic is a greylag goose. They are arriving into the area at the moment as they migrate there every winter. There is a small number that are resident nearby, although not at where you took the pic.

Actually if you walk in the area a lot, try heading past the Castle Oks if you are heading from the Limerick side, and pull into the car park that is on the river bank, and follow the walk there to a small bridge.

If you are patient you should see quite a bit from there and get some nice wildlife pics.

Advertisement