Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bird watching in Waterford

Options
  • 09-10-2009 8:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi all:

I don't suppose anyone knows of some good locations for bird watching in Waterford. I'm looking to practise some close up wildlife shots.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,641 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Going on the reports from the website of the Waterford branch of BWI, Brownstown Head and Dungarvan Bay appear to be hotspots:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

Try Knockaderry lake, easily accessable and a good variety of birds to be seen especially coming into this time of year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Hi John,

It depends on what kind of birds you're looking for and how far you're prepared to tramp from the car.

We're kind of blessed to have such a coastline as we do and also have two mountain ranges as well in the one county.
    You'll have everything from Egrets and migratory geese and duck in the wet lands to Peregrine falcons on the cliffs in the mountains. And everything in between too of course :)

The back strand in Tramore is fantastic for birds. More the land side of it than the dunes side of it though. Dungarvan bay along the Connigar is great too. There's plenty of woodland areas along the rivers near Cappoquinn and Lismore that are inhabited with all manner of bird and mammal life. Nearer the city the woodland all along the river bank is also quite a good place to go to see birds.

Knockaderry, Ballyshunock, Carrigavantry and Ballyscanlon lakes are also interesting spots. There are a hundred and one other spots that I can't think of now but you certainly won't be stuck for places to go here.

Also bear in mind that we're only an hour or less from the Wexford slobs and other wetland areas in that county, Tacumshin lake for instance. And the pond in Kennedy Park and Arboretum is great for practicing on duck and the odd Heron. Good for squirrels too.

Out of curiosity what kind and weight of gear will you be hauling and are you planning on erecting a hide or will you just be out for a wander and hope to snap what you can?

R.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 tonyoc_1

Thanks Roen, and everyone else that replied. To be honest I'm just starting out so I won't have too much gear. I'll be heading out with a 300mm lenses. Would have a hideout or anything at this stage. Looking forward to exploring the mentioned areas. Nice shots on your website.

Thanks again...

Advertisement