Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deer Rut

Options
  • 05-10-2009 1:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭

Has anybody experienced the red deer rut yet this year ?
    Reports and dates please folks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

It must have only just started has it? Il head down to the woods in a few days and see is there any action:)

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Deer Hunter DL

the red deer rut is very busy in donegal at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 22,749 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Interesting article on the rut from news.bbc.co.uk.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

are stags very dangerous during the rut?

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭stevensi

I'd heard about that fatal fight the other day. On theAutumnwatch website they said they are going to leave the corpse there and already a juv Golden Eagle and White Tailed eagle have been spotted flying over the carcass. I'm sure they will have more on this on friday's show...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

The unusual thing about these two is that Percy, the victor, is already 14 years old, pretty old for a red deer stag in the wild. Titus, the one who died, was younger and outwardly physically stronger than Percy and was clearly the 'next in line' for top stag when Percy would have died naturally.

There's also another stag, whose name escapes me, who only has one small antler with only one spike who has no idea of how 'inadequate' he is, and has killed other stags in the past apparently by using his single antler to stab his opponents.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Sika rut is on in Wicklow anyway, whistling aplenty in these parts.

Advertisement