Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wedding rings and bands links

Options
  • 03-07-2006 10:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭

Links for purchase of wedding rings, two places that I have dealt with. Both very good prices and service imo.

Des Byrne Jewellers
    John Weldon Jewellers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

Great, I'll sticky this. Somewhere to post where you got yours. Was it worth it? Were they helpful? Do you recommend them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Yep, I was impressed with Des Byrne Jewellers. I had found a wedding band (claddagh) cheaper elsewhere and they lived up to their 10% discount of that and free shipping, no quarrels about it. They are a bricks and mortar shop also.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

IMB Design

They did a lovely engagement ring for Simu. It's nice to get a ring custom made for something like an engagement and it's nice to leave her get to exactly design what she will (hopefully!) be wearing for a good many years. :)

Pieces are done to order and the guy in there is extremely helpful. They do custom wedding bands also. Saw a few nice ones when we were in there last.

Edit: Note these guys are in Cork...

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Tarakiwa

We went to "Wests" on Grafton street. You can meet the guy that actually makes the rings there if you dont see anything that takes your fancy.

The service is the sort that you would expect from such a classy establishment - they really made us feel special!

We got 25% off the marked price and a further reduction for paying in cash. (It would be crude to say how much we saved but needless to say it was sizable!)

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭babaduck

http://www.jackmurphyjewellers.com/ in Newry is where we got our wedding rings. Jack is a dote & made exactly what we wanted a heck of a lot cheaper than we could find in Dublin.

Incidentally my e-ring was bought in Ernest Jones & I saw it in the Dundrum branch a few weeks ago priced at €xxxx - over €600 more than we paid for it a few years ago. Imagine my surprise when I was in London 2 weeks ago, looked at the ring in the Oxford Street branch and it was €400 cheaper! So.. if you see a ring in Ernest Jones that you like, it might be worth your while heading up North to buy it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Having shopped around in Ireland we were amazed at how much Irish jewlers rip you off. We bought my wifes engagement ring from cool diamonds in London. Got a much better deal than we would have at home. Would highly recommend going abroad to buy your engagement ring..

• Registered Users Posts: 16,466 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Would recommend www.bluenile.co.uk or www.bluenile.com you need to know someone in the UK to have the jewellery shipped to however.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

http://www.hsamuel.co.uk/

There are a few outlets around Ireland, they have a good selection of all kinds of rings and their forever diamond range is excellent. The people in store are very knowledgable and really helped out going over the 4 c's with me before finally choosing. I'd recommend them as I catch my wife gazing into her diamond nearly every day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭japanpaul

I bought my wedding ring in Des Byrnes too. A great selection of rings and really interesting designs. We went for a 'modern' celtic design.
    We're only married a month and anyone we show the rings to, always says how unusual they are. (Unusual in a good way of course:D ). They also sell many traditional rings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

japanpaul wrote:
    I bought my wedding ring in Des Byrnes too. A great selection of rings and really interesting designs. We went for a 'modern' celtic design.
    We're only married a month and anyone we show the rings to, always says how unusual they are. (Unusual in a good way of course:D ). They also sell many traditional rings.

Did you shop online or the bricks and mortar? How did you find their service?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭the corpo

have trips to rome and lisbon coming up. anyone know of any places in either city that would be good for wedding rings?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭whippet

just ordered a couple of unique bands from:

http://www.designyard.ie

Great service and very individual

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Mrs_Doyle

http://www.goldenmine.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=4121

I soooo want that! Can't believe it can be bought online.... I would like to imagine that you would have to go digging in the diamond mines of South Africa for something as beautiful as that!

Feckin Pay Pal, it makes everything so feckin simple.......:mad:

:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭2funki4wheelz

To get a ring made I can't recommend Patrick Glynn Jewellers on Abbey St enough. I spotted the name because another poster had mentioned it somewhere on Boards. I designed my own engagement ring and he made it exactly how I'd asked and within my budget. He was lovely to deal with and I learned loads.

There's no website but you can call on 01 8733866.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I'd like to recommend Michael Perry Jewellers, he's in the Powerscourt S.C. in Dublin. Although we went in a little late, he managed to order my ring in within a couple of weeks (normally a longer lead time), but more importantly he made my WTB's wedding ring from scratch within 4 weeks, and it is an absolutely perfect fit for the engagement ring.

He was also at least as cheap as other shops with similar rings - and that was using platinum instead of white gold like the other shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Rosen

Hello all,

Can anyone recommend a decent shop for antique engagement rings, preferably Dublin based?

Thanks a mill.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I bought the engagement ring and our wedding rings from Futuro in Hatton Gardens London.

Hatton Gardens is a diamond district in London, get off at Farringdon tube station. Lots of choice and lots of competition on one street :) Don't accept teh price they quote you and claim that you've seen one down the street and have an appointment to see them in 30 mins time...watch the quoted price tumble by about £500...well that's what happened when I bought the engagement ring anyway :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 lisaree

Just been to Fields in Athlone and they were happy to give a 15% discount without any haggling at all! www.fields.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭bearaman

Hi All,
    Can anyone recommend a place to buy a celtic wedding ring for the man? I saw a really nice one with newgrange spirals on the web and was wondering where in Ireland I can get it.
    Thanks,
    B.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭locha

For all prospective engagement ring buyers I have a cautionary tale. My best friend recently bought an expensive diamond from diamond.ie. While the engagement ring purchase went smoothly and it appeared that my friend saved money, the good feeling around the purchase quickly wore off. When my friend went back to get the wedding bands the vendor welched on a previously agreed deal and turned out to be as slippery as a snake oil salesman. Having spent A LOT of money on the original purchase my pal was pretty upset and so was his fiancee....
    For anyone interested in checking the value of diamonds you could do worse then look at the following sites....
    www.polygon.net
    www.diamondexchange.com/au
    This should give you a good idea of pricing pre VAT and import duties

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭bobtjustice

bearaman wrote: »
    Hi All,
    Can anyone recommend a place to buy a celtic wedding ring for the man? I saw a really nice one with newgrange spirals on the web and was wondering where in Ireland I can get it.
    Thanks,
    B.

Barry Doyle in Georges Arcade does great stuff. Should check him out I bought my wedding ring there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭gar_29

Rosen wrote: »
    Hello all,

Can anyone recommend a decent shop for antique engagement rings, preferably Dublin based?

Thanks a mill.

Weldons on Clarendon Street; http://www.weldonsofdublin.com/home.asp

lots of unusual and one-off rings.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭gabbo is coming

bearaman wrote: »
    Hi All,
    Thanks,
    B.

O'Connor's Diamonds in Harold's Cross are good. Got both of our wedding rings there (usually get both at the same place!), very happy with the design, engraving on the inside. Staff were very friendly, didn't rush us and entertained our ramblings. Got a good discount when compared like with like on Grafton Street.

http://www.oconnordiamonds.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Intothesea

Recommendation for Van Craeynest of San Francisco,
    if you're in the market for authentic antique design
    but new (die-struck and hand-carved) rings. With the
    exchange rate the way it is, good deals all round.

http://www.vancraeynest.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭shnaek

nesf wrote: »
    IMB Design

They did a lovely engagement ring for Simu. It's nice to get a ring custom made for something like an engagement and it's nice to leave her get to exactly design what she will (hopefully!) be wearing for a good many years. :)

Pieces are done to order and the guy in there is extremely helpful. They do custom wedding bands also. Saw a few nice ones when we were in there last.

Edit: Note these guys are in Cork...

Thanks for putting me on to these guys. They are great. We got both our wedding rings in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭CúilChip

I could not recommend Carl Parker in Castlecomer highly enough. He made our wedding rings to the design we wanted and was very professional. He has a lovely little workshop in The discovery Park in Castlecomer. http://www.carlparkerjewels.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭bearaman

I bought my wedding ring from this site and was very happy with it.
    http://www.claddaghstore.com
    He's based in Dublin as far as I know - good range of Celtic designs. Was happy with the whole process.
    B.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭Derek B

With the state of the aussie dollar at the moment now would be a good time to buy from there. A friend of mine bought a really amazing diamond engagement ring from http://www.maxdiamonds.com.au quite recently and his fiancee loves it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 eliza_may

Hey all, I'm jumping on this thread a little late bit I thought I'd share my thoughts! I know cost is obviously a really big deal at the moment but it is nice to but Irish if you can. At the moment there is a lot of talk of buying online or heading up North but for me I think the quality of the design is really important and the idea of having a unique, Irish-made ring, is ideal. I'm currently getting my ring designed in Designyard and so far the experience is really positive. I don't have a huge budget but the staff understand that and as I am having my ring designed practically from scratch they are working within my budget. There were a few high end highstreet jewellers I went to and ended up getting really frustrated. You tell them your budget and they tend to ignore it and try and push you to spend more. Not my cup of tea! Anyway, check out Designyard if you're just beginning your search. Their website is ok but I found when I went into the shop there was a lot more on offer with a budget to suit everyone!

www.designyard.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Terpsichore

For the best prices in Dublin, chech out Abana.ie.

Advertisement