Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What gives you hope?

Options
12346»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,201 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Grandfather writes a scathing letter to his daughter for disowning her gay son

er.jpg?w=650&h=838&crop=1#038;h=960

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Walker77

This is beautiful. As it says its not a gay thing its a human things

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfcbW7IJLAo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

'Even though that's not my problem I will still fight for it, if I can.'

I sure as hell wasn't so smart and empathetic as a ten year old.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 antofitz

Hey I'm Anthony, I like to think that all the haters out there are one step behind us. They suffer in hate, that's a bad feeling. We gays are happy/bubbly/caring/helpful and have a much more understanding of the world because we are the x-men of the world :D this is an amazing feeling :D also we shouldn't hate the haters, they just need to be educated more. They'd feel so much better if they had no resentment against others. What a life it would be for them. Hope this made sense for people haha :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Tom Daley, the British Olympic Diver, came out (as bisexual) today. He is dating a man and in his own words, he couldn't be happier. Delighted for him. :)

http://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/ThreeTrending/news/british-diving-star-tom-daley-reveals-he-is-dating-a-man-29801812.html

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-25183041

He posted this video on YouTube too:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Walker77

DazMarz wrote: »
    Tom Daley, the British Olympic Diver, came out (as bisexual) today. He is dating a man and in his own words, he couldn't be happier. Delighted for him. :)

http://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/ThreeTrending/news/british-diving-star-tom-daley-reveals-he-is-dating-a-man-29801812.html

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-25183041

He posted this video on YouTube too:

He is a lovely guy and I wish him every happiness.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Pai Mei

What gives me hope is that one day I might meet Tom Daley and he might think I'm rather attractive ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

In a Marketing lecture a few weeks back when listing genders our lecture included transgender. It was clear from his language he didn't fully understand the issues (he called transgender and similar terms 'new genders') but the fact it was mentioned at all and included as a demographic seems pretty relevant to me. He's the only lecturer I've had acknowledge a non-binary gender system.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,201 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Guy records coming out

• Registered Users Posts: 40,799 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

12 year old gives speech about his gay parents to a crowd of almost 2,000 people during the Let It Stand rally in Salt Lake City on January 10th

Background: in 2004 Utah banned same-sex marraige. On December 20th 2013 this ban was declared unconstitutional by a federal judge and overturned. Utah govenor Gary Herbert has ordered the Utah attorney general to appeal this ruling and get the ban re-instated. There are numerous petitions online asking him to 'let it stand' and this rally took place last week outside the Utah Capitol Building.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭Lou.m

12 year old gives speech about his gay parents to a crowd of almost 2,000 people during the Let It Stand rally in Salt Lake City on January 10th

Background: in 2004 Utah banned same-sex marraige. On December 20th 2013 this ban was declared unconstitutional by a federal judge and overturned. Utah govenor Gary Herbert has ordered the Utah attorney general to appeal this ruling and get the ban re-instated. There are numerous petitions online asking him to 'let it stand' and this rally took place last week outside the Utah Capitol Building.

:)

That is SO beautiful!

In December 2013 the city council of Shreveport Louisiana voted 6-1 to ban discrimination in housing and employment oppertunities within the city based on gender identity. Earlier this week the councilman that voted against it in December put forward a motion to overturn the fairness ordinance.

A trans woman addressed the meeting and turned the tables on the bible quoting councilman - motion withdrawn! It's brilliant :D

A four year old girl wrote a letter to Australian PM Tony Abbott after hearing that her mother's gay friends had to travel to New York to get married.
    Dear Tony Abbott, don’t get rid of the ABC because we love it. And let boys marry boys and girls marry girls if they love each other or they’ll be sad forever. Thank-you. Sabrina

ABC refers to the national broadcaster that the PM has cut funding to recently.

Lukas Picton, one of the gay friends mentioned above, said this about the letter
    Not only does Sabrina have an excellent grasp of the English language for a four year-old, but she is also incredibly social aware.

This letter really shows that prejudice and discrimination are engrained traits that we teach our children and that acceptance and understanding of equal love comes naturally to them.

There has been no reply

Sabrina-Francos-letter-to-Tony-Abbott.jpg

In this letter a frustrated parent asks how she can make her 17 year old gay son stop being gay - it may make her look bad in the eyes of her church group.

The reply is genius :D

Amy-2.png

It was on RTE News tonight that New York City's new mayor, Bill de Blasio, is refusing to march in New York's St. Patrick's Day Parade.

My initial reaction was something like: "The bollocks!"

Then... I found out the reason. He's not marching out of protest at the fact that the parade organisers refuse to allow any LGBT/Gay-Pride Groups march in said parade. LGBT people are allowed march in the parade, but not as a group.

Bill de Blasio was already a really good man, from what I'd read. My respect for him has just gone up. A lot. Fair play to him. Such a big stand to take and hopefully it'll make the organisers think about getting rid of this stupid policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭Rick_

Going on Facebook tonight to see a friend put up a comment about how terrible the situation is in Russia against gay people. I watch the conversation with interest, as a couple of her friends, whom I do not know, argue with her on a range of viewpoints from gays are just plain wrong to we are no better than paedophiles. Each one of her replies was to the point, articulate and most of all completely trumping their beliefs by pointing out their inaccuracies and warped opinions on things.

This coming from a friend who I never thought in a million years would stand up for equality and the gays as much as she did tonight. Always being courteous and never taking their bait, a calm, level headed conversation was had showing the extremely religious or those that just believed man + woman was the only true choice to be wholly misguided.

I feel a mixture of emotions reading it though. Deep joy that someone straight is standing up for gay rights and equality, and also deep sadness that some people out there hold such extreme views against us and use such sickening phrases to describe us. Even sadder that upon checking their own Facebook pages, most have young children who will no doubt be brought up also believing themselves all the negative things they will no doubt hear coming from their parents mouths and thus continuing the cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 booklova

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭sunflowa

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2014/03/12/embracing-change/?utm_source=internal&utm_medium=web&utm_content=most_commented

This should give you hope! Hundreds of students in N.U.I.G. standing up for marriage equality!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭Rick_

The only thing that annoyed me about Graham and Conaill's video there was that they wore trainers with their suits to get married in.

No, just no!

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭mr.anonymous

Paddy C wrote: »
    The only thing that annoyed me about Graham and Conaill's video there was that they wore trainers with their suits to get married in.

No, just no!

"Those shoes with that outfit!" :p

Good video though :)

I was going to post up something regarding that!

For anyone who watches Gaelic Football, particularly Dublin matches and St. Vincent's matches, Ger Brennan is one of the most uncompromising "hard-man" defenders in the game. He takes no prisoners, would be of the pure mould of a man's man and all that. He's very religious too and is a staunch Catholic and was in attendance when that big Catholic convention thing was on in Croke Park a while back.

For him to give a speech like that... well, I will confess I had a bit of a lump in my throat and a little bit misty eyed. I really admire Ger Brennan as a player (he's been an absolute hero for Dublin and Vincent's) and he seems like a genuinely nice guy. But I never for one minute thought he'd be so open and supportive of gay players.

It was really touching and wonderful to see. Now, if only similar could happen in soccer...

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭mr.anonymous

I saw the news at midnight on Sky News last night. The UK's civil marriage law came in to force at midnight and they had some live video of the first same sex marriage from Brighton.

The newsreader said that the two men never expected to be able to marry in their life time and had won a competition to be the first under the new law.

It looked like such a simple and obviously happy occasion, but there was more to it than that of course.

I think it's a matter of when, and not if, the same rights come to Ireland. The story just made me smile (on the inside, before I went back to do two more hour's college work!)

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭KDII

My girlfriend put a ring on it today!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

booklova wrote: »

Beautiful video. That brought a lump to my throat and I'm a hardened cynic.

Good luck to both of them.

While I may not fully understand the issues and am unsure that someone so young and so emotionally immature could be so sure of being transgender, I still think this is an incredible step forward. And where else but Canada? That place is seriously like the best place on Earth.

http://www.queerty.com/12-year-old-transgender-boy-granted-historic-new-birth-certificate-20140617?utm_source=bb82&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=birthcertificate

Campbells new ad :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭mattP

My teacher spoke about the debs the other day and said
    "You can take a boy, or a girl, it doesn't matter which one you are. You can go on your own too if you want. Its your night so just enjoy yourself" :)

Advertisement